PDA

View Full Version : All LA Metro What Information do YOU want about private elementary schools?

Christina
08-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi Everyone!

I'd love to know what information you want and NEED about private elementary schools in LA?

What kind of information do you think is not avaiilable? Admissions information? School reviews? Application information? What life is like at private elementary schools?

Please let me know!!

Christina Simon, co-author

Beyond The Brochure: An Insider's Guide To Private Elementary Schools In LA

mamadrama
08-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Christina,

Are all the interviews/testing for K admissions as lengthy as what you described for St. James? Can you share what the others were like? What are the schools looking for specifically? Tx.

Christina
08-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi, most of the private elementary schools have visiting or testing days that take 1-2 hours. In the case of The Willows School in Culver City, where my kids attend, the Willows visits the kids at preschool so there is no on-site visiting for testing day. For me, all the visiting days with my daughter were stressful! In terms of what schools are looking for, too complicated to write here, BUT, its about the family and the child, not just the child.

mamadrama
08-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Christina, thanks for the insight. If you don't mind me asking a couple more questions, how did you prepare your daughter for the visiting days so it was less stressful for her? Did you do anything immediately after the test so she wasn't dwelling on how she did? And when you say it's about the family and the child, what is it about the family that the schools are most interested in? I can deal with the whole process but the visiting days are what have me in a tizzy.