PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan-UWS Good public middle schools in District 3?

hrmomny
03-04-2011, 07:26 AM
We're trying to get our ducks in a row for next year for public middle school applications. Which ones are considered the better ones in D3?

sesined
03-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Well, there's obviously Anderson but it's citywide. Beyond that, there's MS 54 with the Delta program, Center, Computer, Mott Hall 2 and Columbia Secondary.

jsam1127
03-09-2011, 06:58 AM
These aren't District 3 middle schools per se, actually citywides, but definitely worth looking at: PPAS, Manhattan East, NEST+m and Anderson.

hrmomny
03-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Does Delta look at class grades or does the school base its admissions primarily on the test scores.

columsterdam86
03-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Delta doesn't look at class grades unless you are on the bubble. If you have 4s on the state ELA and Math tests (or combined score of 1385) and your score on their test is high enough, you're golden. If not, then attendance and report card do come into play.

sesined
03-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Like columsterdam86 said, Delta does not if your test scores are high enough. Computer and Center though have a subjective selective process so high test scores alone don't guarantee anything. To create the mix they want, they happily and proudly reject certain kids that score high on the tests but do not fit their criteria.

jsam1127
03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Well, there's obviously Anderson but it's citywide. Beyond that, there's MS 54 with the Delta program, Center, Computer, Mott Hall 2 and Columbia Secondary.
Other than Delta, Center seems to be the best out of the bunch but it starts at 5th.

earth2kd
03-22-2011, 10:19 AM
My son is at Delta, and we're very happy. The teachers are top notch and the school is well run. He's really enjoyed his time at the school. If we had to choose it again, we definitely would.

hrmomny
03-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Can anybody compare the difference between Anderson and Delta other than one is citywide and the other is District 3 specific?

nagginjen
03-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Can anybody compare the difference between Anderson and Delta other than one is citywide and the other is District 3 specific?

Both are great schools as you know. Anderson is its own school while Delta is just a program within MS 54. Each grade is also smaller at Anderson. Whereas most of the Anderson kids have been together since kindergarten, all the Delta kids are starting at the same point. AMS offers only Spanish while Delta offers French and Latin in addition to Spanish. I can't say much about the sports programs though.

sesined
03-31-2011, 09:06 PM
I'd try not to get my hopes up too high for Anderson. AMS only has 8 - 12 spots in any year for 6th grade.

indigopoe
12-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi, I’m wondering if anyone could offer any advice to me and my situation: My daughter and her father and I are going through the 6th grade admissions process, and what I am sensing is that there are mainly 2 kinds of public MS’ in district 3: those that are geared toward kids who can perform excellently on standardized tests, and those that are newer, more experimental, less racially/socio-ecomomically balanced and seem to consist of kids that, frankly, my daughter has little in common with and are in environments I’ve heard have had significant bullying problems.
I, myself, graduated from Anderson, before it was a “school” and was merely a “program” in the P.S.9 building (and right before they added a 6th grade, too!). I would love nothing more than for my daughter to have an experience such as the one I had in Anderson, at that time, with the diversity of race, different learning levels, etc, however, the fact is: my daughter simply doesn’t test as “well" as I did at her age and she learns and is inspired differently than myself academically, overall.
The ONLY school we have seen so far that seems a good match for her is MSC (M.S.333), but given that there are so few seats in the incoming 6th grade class coupled with its popularity, I am obv worried…
Can anyone give me any insight regarding what other schools may be comparable to MSC in the ways that it isn’t primarily a “test oriented” school and has a very diverse student body, etc?

I really appreciate any info and advice any of you other parents are able to bless me with and thanks for reading!

MOMM2004
11-26-2014, 04:47 PM
My child has a combined score of 673 on 2014 State Exams, and 3's and 4's on report card. Delta will not reveal the minimum criteria this year. Does anyone have any information or experiences regarding his chances?

Thanks.