PDA

View Full Version : All SF Have people switched schools just for Transitional K?

doughramy
03-11-2011, 03:03 PM
It may be too late to think about this but are there parents out there who switched schools just for Transitional K or PreK, whatever you call it? We really like where we are but trying to figure out if it's better to stay put or get a change of scenery for this next year since a bunch of our son's classmates will be moving on to K. Are there particular ones you'd recommend?

calimahmah
03-12-2011, 06:19 PM
We had kept our daughter at the same school for Pre-K and that ended up being a great decision. Her confidence really blossomed as she developed a new set of friends (well, she knew the friends she made but didn't play with them as much before).

jsmommysf
03-14-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't really think it makes sense to switch for just the one year. You're essentially forcing your child to adjust to a new environment two years in a row, first for the TK or PreK and then for kindergarten. If you like where you are, talk to your preschool director to understand what the PreK curriculum is like. We've been pleasantly surprised ourselves by how different the preK year has been.

psnmom
03-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Like the others have said, it really doesn't make sense to switch just for PreK. The only exceptions I could see where it could make sense are (1) if you're moving your child to a program that can better address some special needs he or she may have or (2) if you wanted to get your younger child into a particular preschool under the sibling policy. Otherwise, I'd stay put and relax until the K process kicks up.