PDA

View Full Version : All SF Please share your public school assignment

halfmoonmom
03-14-2011, 12:03 PM
I see somebody posting a thread for private schools so I decided to do one for just public schools. The assignment letters should arrive on Friday as well so please share where you are assigned, which choice it was and which other schools you listed. Good luck to everybody!

lesliebythebay
03-17-2011, 10:33 AM
I can't wait to see what we are assigned. This being the first year of the new system, I'm very curious about the first round results that SFUSD shares. Do people really want neighborhood assignments? Which attendance area school had the most request from within attendance area? How did the tiebreakers work?

theschoolboards
03-18-2011, 02:53 PM
SFUSD just released a full report of the March 2011 School Assignment Offers (http://www.sfusd.edu/en/assets/sfusd-staff/enroll/files/Post_March/Update%20March%2018%202011_FINAL.pdf). 14,347 placement offers are being mailed today to those who turned in an application by February 18 for the 2011-12 School Year.

Click on the link below for more details:

http://www.theschoolboards.com/showthread.php/1033-SFUSD-March-2011-School-Assignment-Offers

jodi27123
03-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Just opened the assignment letter. Didn't get assigned to any of our 7 choices. SFUSD assigned us to Cobb instead. Looks like my pre-K or public decision has been made for us.

chellebellesf
03-19-2011, 02:37 PM
New Traditions is our attendance area. Got assigned NT from our list of Clarendon, Lillienthal, Starr King (Mandarin), Ortega (Mandarin), Rooftop, NT. We like NT but may see what else we can get in the next round.

debrasx2
03-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Totally shocked we received Miraloma. Really? So so happy. It was our top choice ahead of Clarendon GE & JBBP, Alvarado, West Portal, Grattan and Rooftop. I can't believe we're done with the process.

scorpioabby
03-19-2011, 04:30 PM
We didn't get our first choice but are very happy with Rooftop, our third choice. The two Clarendon programs were 1,2 followed by Rooftop, Grattan (our attendance area school), Miraloma, West Portal, Alvarado & McKinley.

sfomummy
03-19-2011, 06:01 PM
We got assigned William L. Cobb and so did a friend of ours who lives close by. Hmmmm......I filled in all 10 - granted they were all good schools. Rooftop was top choice. From the response above I am surprised people who had Rooftop as third choice got it......good for you! How does this work? It's a mystery to me.

daddydrama
03-19-2011, 08:08 PM
We got assigned William L. Cobb and so did a friend of ours who lives close by. Hmmmm......I filled in all 10 - granted they were all good schools. Rooftop was top choice. From the response above I am surprised people who had Rooftop as third choice got it......good for you! How does this work? It's a mystery to me.

What is this with Cobb? We got Cobb too! We didn't get assigned any of our choices or even our attendance area school New Traditions, which admittedly we didn't put down.

lesliebythebay
03-19-2011, 08:41 PM

It doesn't matter if a school is your first choice or 10th choice. If it's a choice, you get entered into the assignment lottery for that school. That happens for every single school you put down. When each of the school assignment lottery is completed, then the system gives you the highest choice of the schools you got an assignment.

Rooftop, Miraloma and Alvarado (our attendance area) were our top choices and we were assigned Alvarado. Can't complain at all despite all my grumblings before.

mommyemmett
03-19-2011, 10:05 PM
13 schools - 3 citywides and 10 other attendance area schools. Did not put down our attendance area school. McCoppin. Assigned to Muir. What a maddening process. Can somebody please tell me how this is a better system than before?

RDmom
03-19-2011, 10:18 PM
What is this with Cobb? We got Cobb too! We didn't get assigned any of our choices or even our attendance area school New Traditions, which admittedly we didn't put down.

It doesn't surprise me you didn't get into NT since you didn't list it. It's actually one of the 25 schools that had more first choice applicants than seats this year.

daddydrama
03-19-2011, 10:34 PM
It doesn't surprise me you didn't get into NT since you didn't list it. It's actually one of the 25 schools that had more first choice applicants than seats this year.

You're right. We shouldn't have been surprised we didn't get it. I had no idea that first choice requests would exceed demand at NT. Wow. What a misjudgment. I was more caught off guard though by not getting any of our other choices.

edentasf
03-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Ecstatic to get Jose Ortega MI. Would have been happy with either JOES or Starr King MI. Thanks goodness that teacher issue at JOES seem to be resolved.

jodi27123
03-20-2011, 08:57 AM
We're definitely going to be submitting an amended choice form for the next assignment round in May. Does it matter whether we register or not at the school we were assigned in the March round? Is it also true that even those assigned their top 3 choices can resubmit an amended choice form to improve their position? If that is true, doesn't that just make things even harder for those of us shut out to get a decent choice?

fancywu9
03-20-2011, 09:43 AM
It's heartbreaking to hear so many disappointed parents. The new assignment system is only part of the problem. The bigger issue is school quality. If all the schools were of similar quality, then the % of parents requesting their attendance area school would be much, much higher than the paltry 23%. I'm not surprised at all by the low number given the disparity in school quality. Just because a school is closer doesn't mean I want it. As a parent, I'm willing to go almost anywhere in the city for a great school rather than settle for an "easy" down the street option. SFUSD can muck with the assignment system all they want but until they focus more energy and resources on improving schools, parents will be frustrated by the assignment process du jour.

carol1791
03-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Clarendon is our attendance area so I thought we'd hit the jackpot in the new assignment process. Not only did we not get either Clarendon programs, we didn't get West Portal, Miraloma, Alvarado or Grattan. We were assigned Sunnyside.

halfmoonmom
03-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Clarendon is our attendance area so I thought we'd hit the jackpot in the new assignment process. Not only did we not get either Clarendon programs, we didn't get West Portal, Miraloma, Alvarado or Grattan. We were assigned Sunnyside.

We fell into the same trap. Grattan is our area school. We are literally right by the school. We also put down Mckinley and Alvarado just in case but got Sanchez instead.

halfmoonmom
03-20-2011, 12:46 PM
We fell into the same trap. Grattan is our area school. We are literally right by the school. We also put down Mckinley and Alvarado just in case but got Sanchez instead.

It looks like we're one of the 7 attendance area families who FC'd Grattan that didn't get the school? I wonder who took the other 4 spots that didn't go to attendance area families.

ellenf75
03-20-2011, 02:05 PM
I've been on pins and needles the last two days from the private and public school letters. For public schools, we put 6 Spanish immersion schools (BV, Alvarado, Fairmount, Daniel Webster, Revere, Glen Park) ahead of Glen Park GE, our attendance area school, and we got Fairmount SI. Finally feel like I can come up for some air and breath a deep sign of relief.

lesliebythebay
03-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Does it matter whether we register or not at the school we were assigned in the March round? Is it also true that even those assigned their top 3 choices can resubmit an amended choice form to improve their position? If that is true, doesn't that just make things even harder for those of us shut out to get a decent choice?

Here's a tip sheet PPS-SF put out.

http://www.ppssf.org/Enrollment/tips/Round2_Tips_2011_ENG.pdf

But to answer your questions, you do not have to register at the school you were assigned to participate in Round 2. And yes, anybody can submit an Amended Choice form.

saltysweetmom
03-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Peabody (our attendance area school) #1 of the 8 we put down and got it. Thank goodness since we don't get dense population tiebreaker. Don't even want to think which random school SFUSD would have assigned us.

merenaka
03-20-2011, 10:08 PM
After reading all these posts, we feel fortunate to get our third choice MS - Hoover. First and second were Presidio and Giannini. The commute will be a bit longer but it is what it is. Clearly it would be nice to be able to walk or bike to school but whatever. We may try our luck in the second round - can't do worse, right?

agarciasf7
03-21-2011, 04:24 PM
0/9. Assigned Cobb. Peabody is neighborhood school.
List: Peabody, Clarendon GE, Sherman, Alamo, Grattan, Lafayette, Clarendon JBBP, Rooftop, Claire Lilienthal. Round 2 here we come.

jekkosf
03-21-2011, 10:53 PM

In the Clarendon attendance area too. Since we have the most requested school, we made sure to put alternatives down. Still went 0/10 and was assigned Sanchez. Do the density tiebreaker do anything for children in the neighborhoods for the most sought after schools?

agarciasf7
03-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Does anybody know anything about Cobb? Is it so bad that it's just one of the holding places for those of us who got shut out in the Inner Richmond or Presidio area? The report SFUSD released showed almost nobody requesting the school.