+ Reply to Thread

What is the draw of a K-8 school vs the ongoings?

With all the great ongoing options available, I'm trying to figure out where to even look at the K-8 options. For those of you who went K-8, what was the draw of sending your kids to a K-8 vs. ongoings and having to deal with hgih school applications later on?

It is very hard to know when your child is 5 years old what they are going to need and want in a high school. If you determine that you are interested in a different high school (either private or public) the guidance at a K-8 option is ready and willing to go to the mat to help you with that placement. An ongoing school may not be happy or knowledgeable about the high school choice process. I have found that many families considering the quality public school options at high school are left virtually on their own in that complicated process, and at a decided disadvantage.
    ask me about brooklyn schools
    joyce szuflita http://www.nycschoolhelp.com/

Charter Member
    Hi, my kids attend a private K-8 in Los Angeles. It's really nice to know that we have the option to stay at the same school for middle school. I didn't choose the school because it's a K-8, but it is an advantage to be able to keep my kids there if I think they should stay. On the other hand, there are some schools in LA where you need to apply for 7th grade or it's hard to get in for 9th. So, it's an issue. The schools that have K-8 programs believe that kids are best kept at the same school through 8th grade during the difficult middle school years.

We chose K-8 for some of the reasons nycschoolhelp said - to have options for high school. 13 years at an ongoing seem such a long time to be at the same school. You get pigeonholed into a mold and lose the opportunity to reinvent yourself. Another draw of a K-8 for us was the middle school years where the kids get the opportunity to rule the school. They don't get that when there are older high school kids. The dynamic is simply different. It's nice for them to have that confidence boost as they adjust to becoming a teenager.

Thanks everybody for sharing. I get what you're all saying. But as far as kids getting lost in the shuffle of an ongoing school, don't all of them split up into lower, middle and upper schools to create that differentiation?

Hi Gina -

Through the process everyone comes to a decision based on what may work best for their child and family. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. For K-12, some families find the process too harrowing to undergo again and want to have there child in one place through high school. Though it is not unusual for a student to apply out to another high school that is a better fit. At Spence the students that do go all the way through are known as "survivors" - so it is not that all the students go all the way through. Even though there is differentiation in a K-12, some parents feel the flavor of each division within a school is still quite similar, not allowing children to "reinvent themselves" or discover a new set of friends.

Many families are drawn to a K-8 education for their child as there is often many opportunities for the students to take on leadership roles, as they are the oldest in the school. It also gives the child the responsibility to be a partner in seeking out their high school choice. The responsibility and process of going through the application process for high school gives them ownership as well as choice - empowering them to be fully invested. Some parents find the facilities of a K-8 smaller as they do not have access to the high school resources as an eighth grader at a K-12 would have. It has also been said that a K-8 allows a child to stay a child "for just a bit longer" without the influence of high school students.

Its best when beginning the process - to keep an open mind, visit as many schools as you can, speak to current parents at the schools, and really find a school which resonates with your family - whether it be a K-8 or a K-12 - there is a school for everyone.

Warmly,

Renee

Renee Sullivan
    Founder / Director
    The Moms Groups
    Last edited by babybites; 07-01-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Renee, your explanation is so helpful. Thank you. As I tour the schools, I now have a better sense of what to pay attention to, at least when it comes to K-8 vs. ongoing.