+ Reply to Thread

Thoughts on La Petite Baleen?

I see kids coming in and out of La Petite Baleen whenever I'm by the Presidio so I've always been curious about the program. I know it's quite a bit more than the Y nearby so is the program really worth the money? Do your kids like it there?

I wasn't too thrilled about switching our oldest from the Y to LPB because of the cost. I thought it was crazy. But after a couple weeks and seeing the lessons in person, I'm a total convert. The methodology and the tools they use are great for teaching kids how to swim. More importantly, the instructors are amazing - they just have a way of pushing the kids to do more while being super encouraging. Our oldest loves getting in the water and wants to swim wherever we go. As much as I hate to admit it, my wife was right on this one.

I think it depends a lot on the teacher. The class is only 30 minutes long and if there are 4 kids, there is often quite a bit of down-time while the teacher helps each child. My daughter seems to spend a lot of time sitting on the wall and isn't challenged as much as I would like. (She is also working on a different level than the other 3 kids). It is very pricey for about 15 minutes of actual swim time a week!

Quote Originally Posted by summertime View Post
    I think it depends a lot on the teacher. The class is only 30 minutes long and if there are 4 kids, there is often quite a bit of down-time while the teacher helps each child. My daughter seems to spend a lot of time sitting on the wall and isn't challenged as much as I would like. (She is also working on a different level than the other 3 kids). It is very pricey for about 15 minutes of actual swim time a week!
    Summertime, Maybe you need to ask for your child to be moved to a different class. They are very accommodating with shifting kids who seem not to be in the right class. You do need to be a bit pro-active regarding making sure your child is moving forward, but other than that, we've been thrilled with it.

@ boymom I agree about being pro-active. Our child was stuck at the same level for a while because teachers kept changing. However, we switched her class and she is doing much better. They will argue that teachers changing does not matter because the deck supervisor tests your kids regularly and they take notes. But honestly, I believe most anyone with kids will admit that having a new teacher every 3 or 4 weeks isn't the best for children when they are trying to master a new skill.

@ summertime - our daughter was ahead of her peers in her class too (both in skill and age). Getting her in a group where kids are closer to her age is also helping. Not sure if your daughter is same age as the peers in her class but something to think about.

Lpb

Yes, I agree, but my daughter's schedule is very tight these days. We really only have 1 afternoon available and although I keep checking, the other classes have remained full. I wish they had a waitlist program. The phone tag with booking managers is making me insane!