+ Reply to Thread

NYC DOE to Replace Bracken (BRSA) with Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT2)

From Bright Kids NYC:
    For 2012-2013 testing season, the NYC Department of Education just announced that it will keep OLSAT going forward and will switch the Bracken with the NNAT2. Bracken is a knowledge test, while the NNAT2 is a non-verbal ability test. The test is rather complex and consists of 4 different types of non-verbal skills such as pattern completions, analogical reasoning as well as serial reasoning and spatial visualization. It typically takes about 30 minutes to administer 48 questions.

This is a welcome change, since Bracken, a knowledge test, does not test for giftedness. However, a NNAT2 test that is given in many parts of the country, is designed more for testing for giftedness and does not require any verbal skills. Given NYCís diverse population, NNAT2 is not only a better measure of raw intelligence, but also does not discriminate against kids whose English is not their main language.

The end result? We believe there will be fewer 99s and the Bracken will no longer artificially raise the childrenís score since the NNAT2 is a more difficult test and is a better measure of raw intellectual ability. Also the total testing time will increase and will be now closer to one hour, rather than 45 minutes for Kindergarten entry as the NNAT2 takes about 30 minutes to administer compared to 15 minutes for the Bracken. In a nutshell, verbal ability or knowledge will no longer required to qualify for a G&T program.

read more>>

A video from Bige Doruk, founder of Bright Kids NYC, about the NNAT:

Understanding the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT-2)

From Aristotle Circle:

The Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT-2) was designed to be a short test that can access the reasoning and problem solving skills of children without requiring them to be able to read.

Who takes the NNAT-2?
    The test is frequently given for admissions to gifted and talented programs in California and other areas. Other school districts use it as a way to test the aptitude of non-English speakers, intermediate English speakers, and students learning the English language for the first time. It is given to students aged 5-17.

What is the format of the NNAT-2?
    It takes about 25-30 minutes to take the Naglieri Ability Test. Students are given nonverbal picture questions based on shapes and spatial reasoning. Depending on grade level there are generally 38-48 multiple choice items on the test.

What skills are tested by the NNAT-2?
    • Analogous Reasoning tests children's understanding of relationships between shapes
    • Patterns & Sequences requires children to identify a choice that completes the pattern
    • Sorting & Classification asks children to recognize which categories an object fits best into
    • Memory tests a child's ability to recall shapes and patterns
    • Spatial Reasoning involves visualizing how objects might look when rotated or otherwise transformed or combined
    How is it different from the other tests?
    The biggest difference on the NNAT when compared with the OLSAT, CogAT, Stanford-Binet or other gifted and talented assessments is the way the questions are presented. Often these tests are given by giving students verbal instructions or having them read from a page. The NNAT-2 shows children visual puzzles or sequences and prompts them to respond, rather than requiring that they understand written or verbal instructions.

What is this best way to prepare your child for the NNAT-2?

Doing some practice problems, familiarizing your child with patterns and spacial problems and strengthening their memory through games are some of the best ways to prepare your child for the NNAT. Read more about our brand new Enrichment & Learning Kit, which provides parents a fun way to review the NNAT and other common gifted and talented tests.

a lot of the kids in my son's preschool got a 99 or very high 90's. a lot of them went to some test prep school not far from where i live as well. the whole thing turned into a scam

my wife got some of those but never ended up studying much. we're a few blocks from ps 196 in queens which is the same as G&T or close to it

my opinion is that its better to buy a coop in a good school district rather than spend a fortune for some test to get your kid into a better school than your zoned school. same in my kid's preschool. lots of kids live outside of 196 but they have expensive cars or found some other way to spend a lot of money instead of moving to the 196 zone

that one middle aged guy on the nightline show looked like he lived in alphabet city or somewhere close in manhattan where the rents are beyond ridiculous

ps196 is the best in district 28. in the next 10 years or so my wife and i are thinking of going to district 26 or outside NYC