+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Share your list and top choices

Now that the application deadline has passed, all we can do now is cross our fingers and wait. I'd love to hear which schools you put on your list and which are your top choices.

Here's mine, which has Chinese immersion options at the top:

Alice Fong Yu
    CIS at DeAvila
    Jose Ortega (Mandarin immersion)
    Rooftop
    Clarendon (both)
    Lilienthal GE
    Lawton
    Peabody (George)
    Jefferson
    Alvarado GE

Public:
    Alvarado, Miraloma, Clarendon, Rooftop, New Traditions, West Portal, Grattan

Private:
    Live Oak, Marin Prep, Synergy, Presidio Hill, SF Friends

Private:
    MCDS, SF Day, SF Friends, Town, Stuart Hall, Cathedral

Public:
    Rooftop, Clarendon, Grattan, Jefferson, West Portal

Btw, mannamom - I noticed you applied to several coeds but not SF Day. Do you mind me asking why?

Independents: Cathedral, Town, SFDS, SFFS, MCDS, Marin Prep

Independents - Hamlin, Convent, Burkes, MCDS, SFDS, SFFS, Presidio Hill
    Public - Sherman, Peabody, Lilienthal

Independents: MCDS, SFDS, Hamlin, Burkes
    Public: Alamo, Lillenthal, Layfayette, Alice Fong Yu, Clarendon

mannamon, 7x7: I'm wondering the same thing. Why not SF Day? I've heard that it can be a "polarizing" school but have not seen a big difference between it and the other independents when I toured, so curious as well...

Public:
    Alvarado, Miraloma, Rooftop, West Portal, Glen Park, Fairmount, Buena Vista

Private:
    Live Oak, Synergy, Alta Vista, SF Friends, SF Day

In order of preference:

Privates: SF Day, MCDS, Burkes, Hamlin, Friends, Convent

Public: Lilienthal, Peabody, Clarendon, Grattan, Sherman, Rooftop, Rosa Parks, Argonne

Quote Originally Posted by brbla View Post
    In order of preference:

Privates: SF Day, MCDS, Burkes, Hamlin, Friends, Convent

Public: Lilienthal, Peabody, Clarendon, Grattan, Sherman, Rooftop, Rosa Parks, Argonne
    Do you mind if I ask your thoughts on MCDS? It seems like it has such a different feel than SF Day and Friends, the two other coeds on your list. We didn't apply since we got a weird vibe so I'm curious if we just had an off day.

Quote Originally Posted by omooner View Post
    Do you mind if I ask your thoughts on MCDS? It seems like it has such a different feel than SF Day and Friends, the two other coeds on your list. We didn't apply since we got a weird vibe so I'm curious if we just had an off day.
    There are several things I like about MCDS for our family and our daughter:

1. the fabulous campus and location - our daughter is very physically active and loves being outdoors.

2. the impressive teaching staff - our feeling is that while the leadership and vision of any school is important to set the tone, the reality of our child's school experience is going to be almost completely determined by the teachers. The teachers we saw on our tour and heard speak at other events seemed so thoughtful, professional, knowledgeable about pedagogy, and really engaged with the kids. The kids themselves were also completely engaged in all the classes we visited - nobody was bored, left out, or lost-looking.

3. the seriousness with which the faculty approach curriculum development - even though their approach is progressive in many ways, they do not seem to have lost focus on academics. We got the sense that they've critically examined and refined that curriculum not just up and down, but horizontally across subjects and through grade levels, and that every decision they make is grounded in real research.

4. Even though the curriculum is rigorous, they have so many creative approaches to teaching topics, and they let kids do so much independent learning and experimentation. We like their progressive/traditional mix because we want our daughter to have a firm command of the subject matter and the confidence that goes along with that, but she's also the kind of kid who would benefit from alternative and open-ended approaches rather than in a traditional environment where you do just enough work to get an A and then stop trying.

You didn't mention any specifics about where you were getting the weird vibe from - was it the teachers, the school leaders, the kids, parent community or something else? Our experiences have been pretty positive in all our interactions with people from the school so far.