+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by WestSideTutors View Post
    SHSAT Cutoff Scores for 2013

We had another successful year: over 80 students accepted to specialized high schools! Congratulations to everyone! We are still putting together data for the cutoff scores, but here is what we have so far. Please let us know if there are any inconsistencies.

We are taking students now for the 2013-2014 prep year. The earlier you start, the better!

Stuyvesant 562
    Bronx Science 512
    HSAS @ Lehman 501
    Staten Island Tech 502
    HSMSE @ CCNY 497
    Brooklyn Technical 484
    Queens Science @ York College 495
    Brooklyn Latin 473

www.westendtutors.com

I hope that this helps.
    WestSideTutors

Is the information that you posted accurate? Do you actually know someone got accepted to York with 495? My son scored 508 on the test, but he was not accepted to York. York is our 1st choice. Is that possible?

I reviewed the test

I went to the shsat test review in Brooklyn to look at my test and one of my friends went as well.I got a 76 out of 100 and that gave me only a 503.My friend got a 74 and had a raw score of 483.Also the guy who was there reviewing the test with me said that the lowest admitted score was a 471.This means that Brooklyn Latin is 471 exactly.The maximum score is not 800 it is in the 730s.

the official cutoff scores are now up and you are corect 471 was the lowest possible for.Brooklyn Latin

Quote Originally Posted by 2girls View Post
    Very different schools. Our daughter got into Stuy and Bard Manhattan and we chose Stuy. Big mistake. She's doing great academically but the environment (huge, institutional) is not a good fit for her. Would have been much better off in the smaller Bard environment. And Bard is also an amazing school. It really depends on the commute issues and what type of environment your child will thrive in. Also, if your child is a math/science kid Stuy is the much better choice.
    Couldn't agree more with this. Both great schools, but very very different. Our child got into both Stuy and Bard Manhattan this past year and we chose Stuy. Math / Science and huge diverse population of kids was a plus for us. Bard is great for kids who thrive in a seminar environment.

Does your child have friends that live in Brooklyn and attend Bronx Science? What do think of the commute? I am hoping to find some students at the open house this week to tell me. My daughter would love to put it as her first choice but the commute is close to 2 hours for us.

As a parent of a senior in Brooklyn Latin and avid volunteer at the school for 4 years and member of PA, I must say Brooklyn Latin is a great choice. As always it's best to visit the school. We are only 8 years old but climbed the ranks to number 1 two years in a row. Number 41 countrywide. The staff, discupli, magistri are exceptional. The curriculum is IB based starting your Junior year. All classes college course; not 1 or 2. It is intense but rewarding. The discupli who graduate get at least 5 offers into the best colleges. My son got 8. One student even got 12. The classes and advisories and clubs are student based. The discupli lead discussions. They declaim everything as setting is forum discussion based. The PA is very involved and do what we can to fund after-school programs, clubs etc. Even our Varsity Basketball team is top seed. Going to semi-finals this week. We placed 2nd last week in the Certamen(Latin Bowl). The school has lots of services in place to make sure the students succeed. There's advisories, officehours with magistri, guidance dept, college office and the best thing about Brooklyn Latin that sold me. They knew my son by name and face first day of school. They go out of their way to know each student and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohana99 View Post
    You have to really feel the school. Also... it is a big change for commuting . Upper ES vs. long commute time. it is basically, a seemingly good group of young scholars getting an excellent education. Who feel very lucky. No one is mean and we are all here. to Learn ...and to become our best! So, yeah maybe shsat school choice is best. There is always next year.

Well...we're really big fans of the best. You've got one chance kiddo- go for it! Go for Brooklyn Latin. Excellent school, small private class settings, are you kidding . You will see this school grow exponentially in the years to come. Think it is really one to watch.
    Last edited by babylove3570; 03-25-2014 at 05:03 AM. Reason: meant for ddd123 sry

As a parent of a senior in Brooklyn Latin and avid volunteer at the school for 4 years and member of PA, I must say Brooklyn Latin is a great choice. As always it's best to visit the school. We are only 8 years old but climbed the ranks to number 1 two years in a row. Number 41 countrywide. The staff, discupli, magistri are exceptional. The curriculum is IB based starting your Junior year. All classes college course; not 1 or 2. It is intense but rewarding. The discupli who graduate get at least 5 offers into the best colleges. My son got 8. One student even got 12. The classes and advisories and clubs are student based. The discupli lead discussions. They declaim everything as setting is forum discussion based. The PA is very involved and do what we can to fund after-school programs, clubs etc. Even our Varsity Basketball team is top seed. Going to semi-finals this week. We placed 2nd last week in the Certamen(Latin Bowl). The school has lots of services in place to make sure the students succeed. There's advisories, officehours with magistri, guidance dept, college office and the best thing about Brooklyn Latin that sold me. They knew my son by name and face first day of school. They go out of their way to know each student and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by ddd123 View Post
    Brooklyn Latin and Eleanor Roosevelt, which is the better school?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7