+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Success Academy opinions wanted!

My child got accepted into the new Success Academy Bensonhurst. He is currently in District Gifted program.
    I read a lot about SA, and so far what i saw on paper and in Welcome meeting looks great. How much of that is true? Does it make sense to move from Gifted Program (which does not accelerate - my biggest grievance) to SA?

Having a great experience at a Success Academy

After a positive Pre-K experience at PS191 we were lucky to get a space at a Success Academy. Our son has thrived. He is excelling academically in his first two years. The teachers have been good about keeping him engaged, including his crossing over into the next grade at times for reading materials, but more than that isn't needed since they actively monitor student performance and shift them among smaller groups on key subjects to keep him moving forward. They teach to the highest common denominator and work extra to bring everyone along. The way they have set up the parent council keeps it from becoming a money raising machine. There are better ways to participate as parents.

If there are any specific questions I can get you my email address. I know some parents who had strong GT placements and passed on them to go to Success, and some who didn't and wonder if they should have.

There are some unique things related to being at a new school, but the Success operational model is well designed and glitches are few.

My child is at a different Success Academy and we love the school. She qualified for G&T but didn't get a placement so I can't comment on G&T vs. Success except to say that SA accelerates where necessary by breaking the kids up into smaller groups for reading and math so each child is working on materials at their level so the kids are challenged and never bored. It's a great teaching model and I would choose it over my district G&T where I saw them teaching to the middle rather than the level of each individual student.

Success Academy

Our daughter is finishing up Kindergarten at another SA and we are having a great experience. I agree with the other person who commented that they don't teach to the middle, they teach to the individual student. They have pulled our daughter out for reading and put her with the first graders due to her reading level and also do peer groups in her K classroom which has been good for her. They keep her engaged, challenged and overall she is happy. Her teacher gives her a hug everyday when she leaves. We couldn't have asked for more.

Quote Originally Posted by gewald View Post
    After a positive Pre-K experience at PS191 we were lucky to get a space at a Success Academy. Our son has thrived. He is excelling academically in his first two years. The teachers have been good about keeping him engaged, including his crossing over into the next grade at times for reading materials, but more than that isn't needed since they actively monitor student performance and shift them among smaller groups on key subjects to keep him moving forward. They teach to the highest common denominator and work extra to bring everyone along. The way they have set up the parent council keeps it from becoming a money raising machine. There are better ways to participate as parents.

If there are any specific questions I can get you my email address. I know some parents who had strong GT placements and passed on them to go to Success, and some who didn't and wonder if they should have.

There are some unique things related to being at a new school, but the Success operational model is well designed and glitches are few.

Hi There, My son got accepted at the new Rosedale Success Academy and I have a lot of questions. He also passed the G&T exam. I am a little concerned about the long hours. Did your son have a hard time getting adjusted to a longer day at school? I would love to get your email address as I have a lot of questions. I'm having a hard time trying to decide whether I should send him to Success Academy or G&T Public school

Thank you, Gewald, for your opinion and offer!
    My concern with the school vs Gifted in particular is the rigor and quality of the program.
    In our district the Gifted program does not accelerate (at least in Math which I consider to be at horribly low level in this country). At the same time, all students in my son's class graduated K with 1st grade-level reading ability, even those who were classified as English Language Learners.
    So, the questions I have related to the above: does SA's program accelerate, compared to public schools? Do the gifted kids in the program have ability to advance to the higher level than the expected for their grade? How do gifted kids fare in "regular" SA class?

I would be happy to help. We have a child that went through the district G&T. In my opinion there is a huge difference in the quality of education you are getting. At SA, you have science 5 days a week, art 2-3 times a week, chess 2 x a week just to name a few differences right there. In the district G&T you get science 1x a week. You are lucky if you have 2 field trips a year in K. At SA the scholars go on field trips 2x a month to places like the Bronx zoo, Moma, Museum of Natural History, etc,..
    The visual arts program is phenomenal. The kids are learning about artists like Matisse and Picasso and manipulating different types of mediums. Recess is 2x a day and there is Sports class 2x a week.
    In the district G&T you only have that 1x a week. At SA there are always 2 dedicated teachers in the classroom. That is not the case in district G&T where parents have to raise money to pay for a P/T Teacher's aide. SA's program does accelerate. They are not afraid to skip children ahead a grade if necessary. Gifted kids fare VERY well in the regular SA Class. All the children are taught to their specific level. SA can do this because they have more teachers on hand. Accelerated kids read at higher levels and do math at higher levels.

Thank you for your opinion! Do you have experience with SA?
    My child went to district gifted for a year now, they had 8 or 9 trips, but not to the big museums - we're far in South Brooklyn. They had science twice a week, art 2 times a week (visual arts, weak and music) and Spanish. Hence the hesitation about SA

Ksusha, I stumbled upon your thread and actually just got news that my child got accepted into Bensonhurst Success Academy. Can you tell me did you make the leap? If so, do you and your child like it?

Quote Originally Posted by ksusha View Post
    My child got accepted into the new Success Academy Bensonhurst. He is currently in District Gifted program.
    I read a lot about SA, and so far what i saw on paper and in Welcome meeting looks great. How much of that is true? Does it make sense to move from Gifted Program (which does not accelerate - my biggest grievance) to SA?
    If your biggest grievance is that "it does not accelerate".... Then SA is really not for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast