+ Reply to Thread

Experience with any citywide G&T schools and severe food allergies?

My son just received a 99 on his K testing for next year and in considering which schools to apply to, we need to factor in his multiple severe food allergies. He's currently in pre-K at our local public school and they have been great (we have a 504 plan and he has a full-time para, and the school is also very supportive). Does anyone have experience with a child with severe food allergies at any of the citywide G&T schools? We are likely to apply to NEST and BSI as they are closer to us, but I'd be interested in hearing any experiences at other schools also. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bklynm View Post
    My son just received a 99 on his K testing for next year and in considering which schools to apply to, we need to factor in his multiple severe food allergies. He's currently in pre-K at our local public school and they have been great (we have a 504 plan and he has a full-time para, and the school is also very supportive). Does anyone have experience with a child with severe food allergies at any of the citywide G&T schools? We are likely to apply to NEST and BSI as they are closer to us, but I'd be interested in hearing any experiences at other schools also. Thank you!
    Since all these schools are Public, and he has a 504 at his current school, he will (have to) get the same services at any other school. As far as I know if he's eligible for IEPs and 504s at one school he sure does at another.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamilla View Post
    Since all these schools are Public, and he has a 504 at his current school, he will (have to) get the same services at any other school. As far as I know if he's eligible for IEPs and 504s at one school he sure does at another.
    Thanks, we will be submitting a 504 plan wherever my son goes. I was wondering more about the attitude/helpfulness of specific schools regarding food allergies and any policies they might already have in place (some schools do nut-free tables in the cafeteria, for instance -- though this is less helpful for us for various reasons; and some seem more prepared to make certain accommodations than others).

i would just say that nest is not nut-free and and when we went on a tour of nest last year they said they sit the kids with food allergies at their own table but that most kids dont like to be isolated so they end up sitting with their class anyways. it wasn't super reassuring. however, i am sure they will follow the IEP.

At Q300 there's a nut table for kids who bring in nuts. Also, I know of a K child that has allergies, after a brief conversation with his mother, she shared that Q300 has been accommodating to her son's condition. She recommends during the school tour, to do a walk through and work with the school if there are any signs of environmental triggers and work with the school. She did that with Q300 and she said that the kid's carpet was removed - which helped her son's allergies. Feel free to email info@Q300pta.org so folks can help find more specific information for your situation.

Thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by dadoftwins View Post
    i would just say that nest is not nut-free and and when we went on a tour of nest last year they said they sit the kids with food allergies at their own table but that most kids dont like to be isolated so they end up sitting with their class anyways. it wasn't super reassuring. however, i am sure they will follow the IEP.
    Same here, BSI is not nut free school but there are many children with nut allergy.