+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any Queens moms sending kids to Manhatten GT programs?

My daughter scored 99 in the GT, starting K in September. Manhatten GT programs looks really good, specially NEST and not having to worry about middle and high schools is a huge plus. But the travelling is probably too much and exhausting to a little kid so we probably won't go for it but its really tempting. And I was wondering whether there's any parents in Queens that send their kids to the Manhattan's elite GT programs. Would love to hear from them.

We would probably apply for PS 188 in Queens.

I'm in the same boat, going to nest open house tomorrow. I'm curious as to why you are applying to 188 as opposed to 203.

My older child is in 188 so it make sense to have both kids in the same school. I don't think there's a huge difference between 203 vs 188, they're both very good. Are you considering 203?

Do you have a link to the info regarding nest open house? I just seems too much of a commute for a little kid.

You will need to register online for the open house:
    https://nestmk12.net/2016/04/14/open...s-spring-2016/

We are considering 203 and 188. How do you like 188?

I have no complains. Teachers are great, parents are very involved. I wish they'll have more after school enrichment programs though, I think 203 offers more than 188 in that regards. There's homework everyday, some teacher more than others but from what I've heard the amount of homework is not as much as 203. Honestly I don't have any experience with other schools to compare with. At 188 there's 25 kids in a GT class and 31 in gen ed. There's 2 GT classes in 188 so there's a better chance in getting in than 203, from what I've heard 203 only has 1 GT class right?

Thanks for the link. I don't know whether its worth the trip, daily commute to Manhattan for a 5 year old would be tough.

I am in Forest Hills and I have 2 kids at NEST, currently in K and 1st grade. Last year, I was anxious about the commute to/from school every day but we have had no issues. There was a little adjustment for my older daughter last year, but I think that there would have been an adjustment anyway since she had only gone to school for a half day up until that point. But she adapted quickly. We have NO transition issues with our younger daughter. We feel like this is all that our kids know. We love NEST. I obviously have nothing to compare it to from personal experience but we feel like the travel time is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by kasroberts View Post
    I am in Forest Hills and I have 2 kids at NEST, currently in K and 1st grade. Last year, I was anxious about the commute to/from school every day but we have had no issues. There was a little adjustment for my older daughter last year, but I think that there would have been an adjustment anyway since she had only gone to school for a half day up until that point. But she adapted quickly. We have NO transition issues with our younger daughter. We feel like this is all that our kids know. We love NEST. I obviously have nothing to compare it to from personal experience but we feel like the travel time is worth it.
    Do you get a school bus? How long is the commute?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Do you get a school bus? How long is the commute?
    NYC DOE yellow school buses only function within the same borough as the school. But NEST does have many parent coordinated private school buses that run. We are one of the first few stops, so my kids are on the bus for about 45-50 minutes. But kids who get on toward the end of the route, are probably only on the bus for about 20-25 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by kasroberts View Post
    NYC DOE yellow school buses only function within the same borough as the school. But NEST does have many parent coordinated private school buses that run. We are one of the first few stops, so my kids are on the bus for about 45-50 minutes. But kids who get on toward the end of the route, are probably only on the bus for about 20-25 minutes.
    Thank you for responding. That means by the time the bus reach me it'll take about 1.5hrs. That's 3hrs travel time. I think 188 will be the best option for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Thank you for responding. That means by the time the bus reach me it'll take about 1.5hrs. That's 3hrs travel time. I think 188 will be the best option for us.
    No, sorry if I wasn't clear, my kids are probably close to being on the bus the longest at 50 minutes.

Where in Queens are you? There are 4 different bus routes in Queens.