+ Reply to Thread

Thoughts on PS 38 G&T

My child scored a 99 on G&T exam, Im considering citywide and district schools, D17 has only one, so Ive been looking outside the district. PS 38 is a consideration, anyone with some insight on their
    G&T program would be really helpful in guidng me thru this crazy process.

Thanks

I went on a tour of PS 38 earlier this week. The tour and Q&A was not very well organized, unfortunately, so I'm not sure I have a great grasp on everything they have to offer. There are 2 G&T classes in K and the class size is very small -- 15 in one K class and 18 in the other, I believe. So that seems to indicate that there would be the possibility of getting in from out of district. I know families whose children attend pre-K there and I've spoken to parents who had kids in the G&T program and they all have good things to say. But I do get the feeling that people aren't thrilled with the principal/administration there.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMom View Post
    I went on a tour of PS 38 earlier this week. The tour and Q&A was not very well organized, unfortunately, so I'm not sure I have a great grasp on everything they have to offer. There are 2 G&T classes in K and the class size is very small -- 15 in one K class and 18 in the other, I believe. So that seems to indicate that there would be the possibility of getting in from out of district. I know families whose children attend pre-K there and I've spoken to parents who had kids in the G&T program and they all have good things to say. But I do get the feeling that people aren't thrilled with the principal/administration there.
    thanks for replying, what is the math curriculum like?

Sorry, I don't really know any details on the math curriculum. They did say that the entire school has the same curriculum, but that the G&T classes would be able to go deeper into the material (which is the same explanation I heard at the other district 15 programs I toured).

I am a district 15 mom also. I spoke to a few parents of kids in the g and t program at 38. They all seem to love it. I preferred 38 over 32. The g and t class at 32 seemed crowded and cluttered. The classrooms at 38 were bright and cheerful looking. I am also on the fence between the district g and t and our zoned school. I figure I will wait for the results and then decide.

Hi, My daughter is in kindergarten at PS 38 and we are really happy with the school. Her teacher is really great and she only has 15 kids in the class. My kid loves going to school every day. The math curriculum seems a little basic but my daughter said that that the math that they do in school is more challenging than the homework. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

i am so glad to hear that. I put PS 38 as my daughters first choice. I hope she gets in! I feel like this process has taken forever.

Hello parents! Does anyone have any updates on this school? We got an offer to this school and I would appreciate feedback on this school. My kid is in a progressive opt out school but I feel like she needs more challenging curriculum. We toured ps38 and it was nice. Still it is such a hard choice for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiall View Post
    Hello parents! Does anyone have any updates on this school? We got an offer to this school and I would appreciate feedback on this school. My kid is in a progressive opt out school but I feel like she needs more challenging curriculum. We toured ps38 and it was nice. Still it is such a hard choice for us.
    Hi! I posted a few years ago when my kid was in K at PS 38 -- now she is finishing 3rd grade -- and we are still thrilled with the school. The school recently got a new principal -- so things seems less contentious between the administration and parents. All of my kid's teachers have been exceptional and incredibly dedicated. She has had the same teacher for 2nd and 3rd grade and I can't say enough good things about him. The school has really fostered my kid's love of learning -- especially writing! The only downside is that there is some test prep before the state tests and that was a drag for my kid. But overall, I think PS 38 is a gem of a school.

Thank you mfaruqee! Hope it will work out for my kid as well!