+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

advice plz...PS 203 vs. PS 188

Hi D26 parents,

Please share you thoughts on these two schools.
    My son who's going to 1st grade in Sept got an offer from PS 188, he's currently in 203. We are debating if we should accept the offer. My husband who doesn't like changes, wants to keep him in 203 (non GT) class. He doesn't want to put the kid under a lot of pressure (heard that GT classes have tons of homework) and our son have to adopt the new environment and meet new people.
    Me on the other hand, want to accept the offer because I really think he's smart( I'm sure every parent think that way too) and his teachers from pre-K, K always tell me he's much advanced than kids same age. He's at 1st grade level when he did the assessment test in kindergarten.

tks

What score did your son get? So he is attempting 1st from a general ed class?

We are zoned in 203. We rank city wider higher than 203 and 188. We got 188. I'm not happy with DOE.

Personally I went to open house in both schools. I somehow like 203 better. It has better a better budget, better resources. However, is a class of kids score 90-99 better than a general ed class? will it have a better study atmosphere? is there a lot homework? I can't tell. But that's what I'm considering.

Our older kid is going into second grade and now our son got accepted into 188 (1st Choice) and will be going to K in the fall. I had the opposite feeling that BillyDad had about the open houses for 188 and 203. With our older kid, at the 203 open house, they kept talking about their in house homogeneous program at a G&T open house. That was the primary reason why we chose 188 over 203 back then.

For first grade there are two teachers. One will give a lot of Homework, and the other a reasonable amount. A lot of tests, but the teachers care and the administration is nice.

If your child is in 203's homogeneous program, I hear they try to make it a rigorous as the G&T class, so if you like 203, I wouldn't switch.

As for homework, I think both schools increase their homework loads a lot in the first grade (as compared to K).

Vivo314 is your son is not in homogeneous class in PS 203? Homogeneous and G&T in PS 203 is almost the same the only difference is in Homogeneous you have to take the qualifying exam every year in G&T once you get in you will be there until 5th grade. And my daughter's teacher said G&T is more on creative while in homogeneous is more on academics. She said they are using the same materials.
    Last edited by NJ &LJ; 05-31-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ &LJ View Post
    Vivo314 is your son is not in homogeneous class in PS 203? Homogeneous and G&T in PS 203 is almost the same the only difference is in Homogeneous you have to take the qualifying exam every year in G&T once you get in you will be there until 5th grade. And my daughter's teacher said G&T is more on creative while in homogeneous is more on academics. She said they are using the same materials.
    I didn't have him tested last year and there won't be homogeneous exam this year. School will make offers base on academic, attendance etc...

BillyDad,
    He scored 97/He's going to 1st in fall.
    What score did your kid get?

When I went to 203 to register for the regular class a few months ago. I was told there'll be
    no more homogenous class at 203. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the new principle.

It is good hear good things about 188.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmom View Post
    When I went to 203 to register for the regular class a few months ago. I was told there'll be
    no more homogenous class at 203. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the new principle.

It is good hear good things about 188.
    No more homogeneous class?? We've letter from 203 saying, there will be no more homogeneous test; they'll send offer to students with high academic score...

We ranked 188 higher than 203 after the open house because we found 188 is more friendly, family oriented and has a better playground. I heard 188 arranges more fieldtrips too though 203 won more awards. It really depends on what you consider as important in decision making, good luck!

Maybe no more homogeneous test but not the class because my daughter is in that class and she have tested for homogeneous test this May.