+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by dad@nyc View Post
    Dear current PS77 LL parents,

Would you please share your kids experience and your insights at PS77? How is the after School programs? Much appreciated!
    I am interested too. Did you get any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by kllai View Post
    For those who worry about travel time. My experience is that, you and the kid will get used to it. We live in midtown west, and not hesitate to go to PS77, it takes a M42 and a Q train to get to school. The travel time isn't as bad as it sounds. it about 30 minutes. Kid can read or have breakfast during that time. The subway is close to school , to me it is easier to get to LL then to NEST
    That is good to know. Do think its worth the travel now that you know all you know? Would you consider public school bus? or private school bus?

Quote Originally Posted by simbapenn View Post
    i guess i subscribed to this thread a few years back when my daughter just got in! For what it's worth, we couldn't be happier. The families are wonderful, the staff is caring and responsive, and while the curriculum is accelerated, i don't think my daughter has felt pressure at all. Our daughter could barely read going into kindergarten, and by the middle-end of 1st grade she was devouring harry potter books. Homework does supposedly take a leap next year, so that might change some.

As to the after school program, it is very well received. It does only go until 5pm, but it's affordable compared to other programs around. Some families do the 92y program which picks up from lab, but it's pricey. The fall after school brochure is up on the pta's website if you're curious about what's being offered. The offerings can change from semester to semester, and year to year, based on parent feedback and enrollment.

The chess program is amazing. Lots of kids do it, and they've won a bunch of state and national tournaments. Happy to answer any other questions you might have!
    very helpful info. So chess is not offered during the day? What is the enrichment programs then during the day?

We're on the Upper East Side and ranked LL first. Likely to accept the offer. Probably going to drive on some days, and take the school bus on some other days. Q train is also convenient. I was told that the school bus picks up at 7:55 ish in our neighborhood. Wonder if anyone knows how to sign up for the school bus?

The after school program can be found from their website. https://www.lowerlabpta.org/afterschool/. Seems quite nice to me. Just that we can't pick up everyday at 5; even 6 is a stretch. So we are probably going to do after school activities in the neighborhood on most weekdays.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mommybear View Post
    That is good to know. Do think its worth the travel now that you know all you know? Would you consider public school bus? or private school bus?
    Where do you live? i know there are public school bus on the East side. I think there is a route in west side too but far from where we live. It is better to just take MTA
    We will do the same, MTA works fine for us. It is a little tough to get the little kid to wake up before 7. But you may be surprise, young kid wake up earlier and easier than teenage... .

If you interest in public school bus. You should talked to Gina (Parent Coordinator) she should have info about the public school bus. I heard some parents also arrange some private bus service.

I suggest you just take your kid and go to the school at 8. Then you know if the commute works out for you or not.

very helpful info. So chess is not offered during the day? What is the enrichment programs then during the day?
    Chess is offered once a week for 10 weeks I believe. Besides chess, they also have 2nd language , arts and music.

I am interested too. Did you get any insight?
    Yes, please read “Simbapenn” and “Kllai” detailed replies, which are very helpful.
    Thank you
    Last edited by dad@nyc; 06-11-2019 at 08:23 PM.

FYI

I believe they do have Chess class once a week and afterschool as well.

Enrichments

Our students also have access to some exciting programs that enhance the everyday curriculum, such as:
    • Architecture
    • Chess
    • Latin
    • Salvadori Center
    • Dance – National Dance Institute
    • Performance – Wingspan for the Arts
    • Debate