+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33

discovery program

hi, in the handbook for the SHSAT, they said people would get letters in May. i was wondering if anyone got letters yet, and what score they got on the test, and the school they got chosen for so i can get an idea if i am somewhat eligible or not since I did not receive an offer, though i was 15-20 points from brooklyn latin, which provides the program. i also heard some people made an appeal and i'm wondering what exactly that is and how you do it. thanks

Hi Manhattan Mom of 2, I need help I tried to contact Brooklyn latin and HSAS but none has any people answering the phone. Ive called Brooklyn tech but they too didn't give me an answer of how can I apply to the discovery program at any of the other SHS. I really need help. Is there anyway I can get in contact with HSAS or Brooklyn latin. I know that I only have two days left but I really want to get into Stuyvesant or Brooklyn tech!!!!! Any helpful response are appreciated!!!!

You won't get through to any public schools today because they're closed. Try tomorrow. They should answer the phones then.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiymchast View Post
    Hi Manhattan Mom of 2, I need help I tried to contact Brooklyn latin and HSAS but none has any people answering the phone. Ive called Brooklyn tech but they too didn't give me an answer of how can I apply to the discovery program at any of the other SHS. I really need help. Is there anyway I can get in contact with HSAS or Brooklyn latin. I know that I only have two days left but I really want to get into Stuyvesant or Brooklyn tech!!!!! Any helpful response are appreciated!!!!
    Here is a link to the Office of Enrollment at the DOE for High Schools. At the bottom of the column on the right, there is a contact phone number. Schools are closed today, but I think that the DOE offices might be open.

http://schools.nyc.gov/ChoicesEnroll...gh/default.htm

I called the DOE and they said the requirement for schools other than Tech, Stuyvesant (who arent participating in Discovery), and Bronx Science (who may be, according to the person I called, but no score was told), is a 469+, and Brooklyn Tech is a 470. Call them if you have those scores, and ask about the form that you must fill up, which requires things such as low-income, getting free lunch, etc.

NYParent and Manhattan Mom of 2, I need to know something and what to do. Okay this is werid but true, a student this year or last got into Stuyvesant with a 443 and another student two years ago got into Brooklyn tech with a way lower score in my school. I got a 444 and I got no offers. I was told to call Stuyvesant about this and ask them if there is anymore seats available for me! Now this really sounds werid and hard to believe and the thing is I dont know the name of this student. But again as of now I feel that I may have a chance but I just don't know what to do. I need your help no one wants to help me and yes I have call the DOE and Brooklyn latin, tech and lehan high school and I didn't get any help! Please someone anyone message me with any helpful information as soon as possible

Shiymchast, I'm so sorry that you did not get one of the schools you wanted. Unfortunately, I think these stories you're hearing about students getting in with surprisingly low scores in the past are not accurate, and they are keeping you from moving on. The most productive thing you can do for yourself right now is to move on and prepare for the high school you did get matched to. It may not be what you hoped for, but in order for you to get the most out of your freshman year, you need to commit yourself to excelling in your present situation. You can apply out for sophomore year, as well as take the SHSAT again, but you have another reality that will be your life for the next school year, and I'm sure there will be excellent things that can come out of it. Learn all you can about your new school, find out what are the exciting extracurriculars to get involved in, what are the best classes, and be prepared to make the most of them. You have not failed by not getting into the schools you hoped for. Whether you succeed or fail now is all up to you, and you seem plenty determined to excel wherever you go. I wish you the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiymchast View Post
    NYParent and Manhattan Mom of 2, I need to know something and what to do. Okay this is werid but true, a student this year or last got into Stuyvesant with a 443 and another student two years ago got into Brooklyn tech with a way lower score in my school. I got a 444 and I got no offers. I was told to call Stuyvesant about this and ask them if there is anymore seats available for me! Now this really sounds werid and hard to believe and the thing is I dont know the name of this student. But again as of now I feel that I may have a chance but I just don't know what to do. I need your help no one wants to help me and yes I have call the DOE and Brooklyn latin, tech and lehan high school and I didn't get any help! Please someone anyone message me with any helpful information as soon as possible
    I think that "@Manhattan Mom of 2" gave you very good advice about moving on in her post above. The only thing I would add is that not only are the stories you are hearing not true but would also constitute a violation of State and City Law if they were true. The criteria for admission to SH's are defined by statute and subject to audit. A principal who knowingly did what you are suggesting by admitting students with scores 100 points below the cut off would not only risk losing his/her job but could also face prosecution; it just doesn't happen.

My advice, echoing the advice you have already received here, is to go to the High School to which you were admitted, perform very well at that school and then either apply out to another HS or retake the SHSAT next year. Good luck!

Hope you realize that DOE is not a person.