+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Specialized High School SHSAT Cutoff Scores for 2017

According to the DOE, high school results should be available end of this week. Please help us compile the SHSAT cutoff score data by sharing your SHSAT scores or what you know to be the lowest score to gain admission to one of the specialized high schools. We'll update the list accordingly.

2017 (low score / high score, last updated 3/14)
    Stuyvesant 555 / 704
    Bronx Science 512 / 664
    Brooklyn Latin 479 / 600
    Brooklyn Technical 486 / 588
    HSMSE @ CCNY 504 / 621
    HSAS @ Lehman 516/ 545
    Queens Science @ York College 507/ 607
    Staten Island Tech 515 / 704 (though some posted a 508 and 512 received offers)

2016 (low score / high score)
    Stuyvesant 552 / 701
    Bronx Science 511 / 701
    Brooklyn Latin 477 / 521
    Brooklyn Technical 482 / 687
    HSMSE @ CCNY 513 / 639
    HSAS @ Lehman 506 / 652
    Queens Science @ York College 516 / 594
    Staten Island Tech 508 / 624

This Friday or Next Monday. Long wait.

Hopefully, the DOE will have some compassion and put everyone out of his/her misery this week.

Oh btw NY Parent. I have a personal questioni for you. If your son has been getting or had been getting consistently over 600 (wow!) scores on practice tests, how could anyone think he would be EBS? (everyone but Stuy?). If Stuy is at 56--570 conservatively speaking, then he has consistently proven to have a buffer of 30 to more points. It would appear to me that he had a strong chance (nothing is certain) chance of Stuy. My son took a practice test and got 580 but this testing place (GRF) says that 750 and not 800 is the highest one can get and 375 and NOT 400 on each part (they have a different algorithm than all the other test places in town). They are certain they are right and that the 400 and 400 equals 800 total points is false. I have no idea! So that 580 score worries me. I am starting to feel some stress in my body and I do not tend to feel this way. I think I will take a hot shower. I just want to sleep until we get the test results. I do not want my son on the train (in the dark) for an hour plus each way . I just don't! I am worried.

Quote Originally Posted by uwsboy View Post
    Oh btw NY Parent. I have a personal questioni for you. If your son has been getting or had been getting consistently over 600 (wow!) scores on practice tests, how could anyone think he would be EBS? (everyone but Stuy?). If Stuy is at 56--570 conservatively speaking, then he has consistently proven to have a buffer of 30 to more points. It would appear to me that he had a strong chance (nothing is certain) chance of Stuy. My son took a practice test and got 580 but this testing place (GRF) says that 750 and not 800 is the highest one can get and 375 and NOT 400 on each part (they have a different algorithm than all the other test places in town). They are certain they are right and that the 400 and 400 equals 800 total points is false. I have no idea! So that 580 score worries me. I am starting to feel some stress in my body and I do not tend to feel this way. I think I will take a hot shower. I just want to sleep until we get the test results. I do not want my son on the train (in the dark) for an hour plus each way . I just don't! I am worried.
    Let's discuss after we and our kids get through the next few days. Practice Tests, even when actual exams from prior years, are still just that "Practice." I have no idea how he really reacted when he took "the real thing." But, let's just survive the DOE's "process" before we get into that.

Sure. I am trying to understand the "experts" who told you that 600 plus practice test scores means one probably won't get into Stuy. That makes no sense to me. And you seem like a scientifically based person.. I have not heart that students do poorer than their very high 40 point buffered above the cut off practice tests score.

Sure. I am trying to understand the "experts" who told you that 600 plus practice test scores means one probably won't get into Stuy. That makes no sense to me. And you seem like a scientifically based person.. I have not heart that students do poorer than their very high 40 point buffered above the cut off practice tests score.
    First of all, it sounds like you did your Homework on the "Raw Score" vs. "Equivalent Score" arithmetic, so I won't go into it here, other than to say, yes, Raw points above 40 (41--50) are probably worth twice as much in the Equivalent Score as Raw points between 21 and 40 on the SHSAT; but the DOE claims to change its formula every year, so no one really knows.

While we're on the topic, as far as I could see, the Scrambled Paragraphs had the effect of lowering the Raw Verbal Score because, as far as I could tell, the "right answer" was arguably randomly chosen on two or three of the five in any given test: I studied Symbolic Logic and consider myself "pretty good" at clarity of expression in writing, but my kid's Tutor routinely told me that the Answer Key said I had gotten at least two of the five wrong every time I tried...that's when I decided to "leave the tutoring to the Tutor." Our Tutor's strategy was to focus on getting as high a score as possible on the Math, because the Verbal was unpredictable.

My kid told me that he and many of his friends thought the Scrambled Paragraphs were "easier than they expected." Putting that together with the announcement that the Paragraphs are being done away with entirely next year, it made me wonder if they hadn't been intentionally simplified this year...

As for what a 600+ on a Practice Test means, my point was that a Practice Test is taken in a relatively relaxed atmosphere without the pressure of knowing "this is it." So, I'm very happy that my son scored well on his later Practice Tests, but I encouraged him not to put a lot of weight on that because of the circumstances. My approach through all of this was to have him as relaxed as possible on Test Day and then lower his expectations in the period after the test. That's all fallen apart this week, of course, because his anxiety is now through the roof.

First of all, I wish to thank you for all your time. You have been very helpful. And I also wish your son gets into whatever school it is he wanted. Funny that you mentioned paragraphs. I took them as a hobby (for which I had no time) and spent a good 100 or 1000 hours on them (on . youtube, in every book) until I was able to get 5 out of 5 without any question. But this took weeks, months of studying. Why I did this? No reason. My son did not learn from me (that rarely works out. lol). But he also spent countless hours on them to get 5 out of 5 but I believe what others did such as you (focus on the math and leave alone the SP) is wiser. I had hoped my son would be a SP tutor (he needs a job) this year but thanks to the DOE, that will not happen. We come from a long line of lawyers so that is maybe where we got the logical part of the whole game of SP. Also, my son said these were much easier than any or most he had before and we had some very tough ones in the amazon shsat books. Yes, I have looked at what KWELLER prep publishes as the raw score/equivalent score facts. Most places use that and yet who knows where that came from? Only GRF says that scale is a big where did they get it and have their own. I , of course, have no idea at all the "real" scale and if , indeed, it changes yearly. I can tell you one story a mother wrote and that is her kid got a 700 and something and they requested to go look at the actual shsat of her son. They wanted to know what he missed. (talk about obsessive! ) and when they did, they found he had not missed any so his 700 and something (not 800) was indeed the highest score possible, at least that year and at least with that test. Okay, so now I understand. You are banking in a handicapp with his 600 plus score for "nerves" on the actual day. That makes sense. But what still is unclear as to why others (the tutor mill and the tutors) would think a 600+ score would mean EBS? and 75% of the time stuy according to your post. I would think they would think, "Probably, unless his nerves get the best of him," a score for all specialized schools. (because he has a 40 point buffer for nerves). My son is getting "sick" with this as he has extra cirrciulm activities and pretty much will have to give them up if we need to add an hour plus each way commute. We presently live in a tiny place but super well located and I have raised him, for better or worse, location location location so he is just not programed to be happy when having to commute an hour plus anywhere and that would include Disneyland.
    Thanks again. You have helped me by "being there."

First of all, I wish to thank you for all your time. You have been very helpful. And I also wish your son gets into whatever school it is he wanted. Funny that you mentioned paragraphs. I took them as a hobby (for which I had no time) and spent a good 100 or 1000 hours on them (on . youtube, in every book) until I was able to get 5 out of 5 without any question. But this took weeks, months of studying. Why I did this? No reason. My son did not learn from me (that rarely works out. lol). But he also spent countless hours on them to get 5 out of 5 but I believe what others did such as you (focus on the math and leave alone the SP) is wiser. I had hoped my son would be a SP tutor (he needs a job) this year but thanks to the DOE, that will not happen. We come from a long line of lawyers so that is maybe where we got the logical part of the whole game of SP. Also, my son said these were much easier than any or most he had before and we had some very tough ones in the amazon shsat books. Yes, I have looked at what KWELLER prep publishes as the raw score/equivalent score facts. Most places use that and yet who knows where that came from? Only GRF says that scale is a big where did they get it and have their own. I , of course, have no idea at all the "real" scale and if , indeed, it changes yearly. I can tell you one story a mother wrote and that is her kid got a 700 and something and they requested to go look at the actual shsat of her son. They wanted to know what he missed. (talk about obsessive! ) and when they did, they found he had not missed any so his 700 and something (not 800) was indeed the highest score possible, at least that year and at least with that test. Okay, so now I understand. You are banking in a handicapp with his 600 plus score for "nerves" on the actual day. That makes sense. But what still is unclear as to why others (the tutor mill and the tutors) would think a 600+ score would mean EBS? and 75% of the time stuy according to your post. I would think they would think, "Probably, unless his nerves get the best of him," a score for all specialized schools. (because he has a 40 point buffer for nerves). My son is getting "sick" with this as he has extra cirrciulm activities and pretty much will have to give them up if we need to add an hour plus each way commute. We presently live in a tiny place but super well located and I have raised him, for better or worse, location location location so he is just not programed to be happy when having to commute an hour plus anywhere and that would include Disneyland.
    Thanks again. You have helped me by "being there."
    I'm impressed by your diligence with the Scrambled Paragraphs. I just gave up.
    As for the likelihood of success, I just think everybody wants to hedge their bets since the DOE reserves the right to change how it converts raw scores every year. And, yes, I had heard that 800 was a theoretical score from other sources.
    I'll post anything new that I learn out here.
    Thanks to you as well.

I am so nervous about the Shsat Results. I really want to get my results back. I want to get into Bronx Science.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast