+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Alright. Has anyone found any mistakes ever? Is it possible there were 2 answers for any of the ELA portion questions? Can you view the answer sheet and the city's answer key? As well as see the actual questions. Better yet has anyone ever received a higher score by finding mistakes in the last few years? Thanks
    Here's an addition to that.

So let's say you see the answer key and boom! there are 2 correct answers in the key for a question in the ELA. You got one right but it took the kid forever to figure it out because you've never been told to ever expect that 2 can be right and this is NOT an "all of the above" type question. That then slows the kid down suddenly they see they're running out of time and can no longer go back and correct. Now had that not happened they may have gotten more right. When you get closer to 50 the raw numbers get weighted heavier. Is there any recourse?

Hello, I have a question. Now I'm a student who took the shsat test on Oct 2017 and didnt receive a an offer. I was told by three teachers ill be able to retake the test during the summer at Brooklyn tech and here's why. Two students took the test and had a lower score then I got and didnt receive any offer. Then both students were able to retake the test in Brooklyn tech and when to there selective specialized school that same year. I had a score of 444. And all I know is I have till August to register. Now my guidance counselor told me I have to be extremely close to Brooklyn tech in order to retake this test. However those two students got scores lower then me making them have further away then Brooklyn tech cutout score and didn't receive any offers and still were able to retake in the summer. I would like anyone to help guide me into how ill be able to register and when? Anything will help! A link, a contact page, anything. I plan to go to Brooklyn tech and ask them about how this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiymchast View Post
    Hello, I have a question. Now I'm a student who took the shsat test on Oct 2017 and didnt receive a an offer. I was told by three teachers ill be able to retake the test during the summer at Brooklyn tech and here's why. Two students took the test and had a lower score then I got and didnt receive any offer. Then both students were able to retake the test in Brooklyn tech and when to there selective specialized school that same year. I had a score of 444. And all I know is I have till August to register. Now my guidance counselor told me I have to be extremely close to Brooklyn tech in order to retake this test. However those two students got scores lower then me making them have further away then Brooklyn tech cutout score and didn't receive any offers and still were able to retake in the summer. I would like anyone to help guide me into how ill be able to register and when? Anything will help! A link, a contact page, anything. I plan to go to Brooklyn tech and ask them about how this is possible.
    If you're in an NYC Public School, you should pursue this through your Guidance Counselor. I am not familiar with this arrangement, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Otherwise, I'd contact the DOE's Office of Enrollment . Here is a link to an "Inside Schools" page, which purportedly contains the email address of the Director of High School Enrollment:
    http://insideschools.org/high/doe-contacts19

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NYParent View Post
    If you're in an NYC Public School, you should pursue this through your Guidance Counselor. I am not familiar with this arrangement, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Otherwise, I'd contact the DOE's Office of Enrollment . Here is a link to an "Inside Schools" page, which purportedly contains the email address of the Director of High School Enrollment:
    http://insideschools.org/high/doe-contacts19

Good luck!
    Thank you so much. However I spoke to my guidance counselor and she said that she believes I can't retake it due to my score but I want to know how to register for the test during the summer. Is there away a student can contact the DOE? My guidance counselor told me that I need a request from the DOE in order to retake the test during the summer. She never told me how to get this request. Thank you again you were a big help!!!

Hi, I was told that the test can only be retaking at Brooklyn tech. I was wondering how? I'm try to register myself for the upcoming summer shsat. How must I proceed with this? Do I need a request from the DOE? My guidance counselor told me that I need one but I dont know how to get one! Help please!!!!!!!

Thank you so much. However I spoke to my guidance counselor and she said that she believes I can't retake it due to my score but I want to know how to register for the test during the summer. Is there away a student can contact the DOE? My guidance counselor told me that I need a request from the DOE in order to retake the test during the summer. She never told me how to get this request. Thank you again you were a big help!!!
    I'd suggest that you contact the DOE Office of Enrollment directly. I provided a link to an email address in my reply above.

However, here is another link, this one directly to the Office of High School Enrollment, including a phone number and an email address at the bottom right of the web page in the section headed "? Questions,": http://schools.nyc.gov/ChoicesEnroll...gh/default.htm

As I said above, I've never heard of this arrangement, but this is the way for you to sort out what you are being told. I've found the Office of Enrollment to be very responsive on the telephone.

Hi, I was told that the test can only be retaking at Brooklyn tech. I was wondering how? I'm try to register myself for the upcoming summer shsat. How must I proceed with this? Do I need a request from the DOE? My guidance counselor told me that I need one but I dont know how to get one! Help please!!!!!!!
    Please see my reply immediately above.

Quote Originally Posted by NYParent View Post
    Please see my reply immediately above.
    Thank you

Thank you
    Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

I think what you're talking about is not a regular summer administration of the SHSAT; it's a program run directly by one of the specialized high schools (in this case, Brooklyn Tech), in which they offer test prep and other academic preparation in an intensive summer program for (I believe) low income students who scored close to the cutoff, in order to increase diversity in specialized high schools. I know they did this last summer at HSAS. At the conclusion of the intensive program, participants take the SHSAT again to see if they receive a qualifying score and thus receive an offer of admission. I don't know anything about where participants are required to live to qualify or how one enrolls. There is a name for this program, but I'm sorry to say I can't remember what the name is. I think your best bet may be to contact Brooklyn Tech and ask them about it. There may also be other specialized high schools that are offering this program over the summer, so if you don't qualify at Brooklyn Tech, you may want to ask them if they know which other schools would be offering the program this summer.