+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Preparing for PreK G&T and K Hunter

Hello Parents,
    I am wondering how did your child prepare for these tests?
    Thanks,
    Silvia

The best advice we got was to familiarize them with the test but not overly prepare them. If they are falsely prepared, they will get a false result, and then possibly need to be mentored for the next 8 years because they don't really belong where they are. Our kid didn't get to Hunter round 2, but got 99% on the G&T and is in a citywide. It's a crapshoot, in the end. Gifted and Lucky. The only thing we did different between the two was that the G&T day felt more like a regular day, as it was at a school, and we both took him there. It was all very relaxed. We showed him the practice test the night before, and we gave him a peppermint that morning.

I know I've posted here about this before. My kid did qualify for Hunter round 2 and did get a 99%, but did not make it through Round 2, and got no Citywide placement. Try doing a search in this forum regarding prep, because I know it's been discussed.

I think the big thing is to make sure they understand how the test works, that they shouldn't point to an answer until they are pretty sure it's the right one, and also to understand that when the stranger does thinking activities with them, the stranger isn't going to be able to give them reinforcement after each question. That is, they can't say whether they got the question right, or even say "great job!" which is an encouragement that most kids are used to. You can look at the specialized books that Bright Kids publishes to get an idea of what the tests are like. You might want to schedule a 'practice test' with a stranger or tutoring center, even if it isn't the same test that they are going to see, just getting used to the process might help some kids.

Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    I know I've posted here about this before. My kid did qualify for Hunter round 2 and did get a 99%, but did not make it through Round 2, and got no Citywide placement. Try doing a search in this forum regarding prep, because I know it's been discussed.

I think the big thing is to make sure they understand how the test works, that they shouldn't point to an answer until they are pretty sure it's the right one, and also to understand that when the stranger does thinking activities with them, the stranger isn't going to be able to give them reinforcement after each question. That is, they can't say whether they got the question right, or even say "great job!" which is an encouragement that most kids are used to. You can look at the specialized books that Bright Kids publishes to get an idea of what the tests are like. You might want to schedule a 'practice test' with a stranger or tutoring center, even if it isn't the same test that they are going to see, just getting used to the process might help some kids.

We are awaiting for our oldest son G&T results. We live in Bushwick. I'm very curious to understand why your son didn't get into citywide if he got 99%?

Thanks!
    Mariela

99 only means u will be considered for citywide if you apply but say if there are 600 kids applying to the same Citywide school and your lottery number is 200. first all the kids 97+ with siblings will be considered before a 99 kid with no sibling.

Quote Originally Posted by mppellegrini View Post
    We are awaiting for our oldest son G&T results. We live in Bushwick. I'm very curious to understand why your son didn't get into citywide if he got 99%?

Thanks!
    Mariela
    There are many more kids with 99% score than available seats in citywide programs. There are roughly 300 seats, and around 1000 kids score 99%. As a ballpark, the chance of getting in, assuming you have a 99%, is around 30%.

This percentage varies by school and family, as some schools get more interest than others, and not all families apply to all five schools.

WOW!!! All this effort to end up in your zoned school after all... We live in Bushwick (D32), so we don't qualify for Hunter... The G&T school in our district is PS 376, but I wonder if it's better to try to put the kids in a Dual Language Program instead of just an OK G&T...

Quote Originally Posted by mppellegrini View Post
    WOW!!! All this effort to end up in your zoned school after all... We live in Bushwick (D32), so we don't qualify for Hunter... The G&T school in our district is PS 376, but I wonder if it's better to try to put the kids in a Dual Language Program instead of just an OK G&T...
    You really have to look at the programs you're considering to make that decision. You need to ask in the district G&T what enrichment they are offering to the G&T kids, and how it differs from their Gen Ed program. If there's a great dual language program in your area, it might be a better option. But this is really individual to each family, and it depends on what programs you have available to you.

Yes. It is a bit crazy. In the end we were deciding between a solid neighborhood Dual Language and TAG. For reference, I believe we were in the 200s on the waiting list for Anderson, but were placed in our second listed option, at TAG (We put Anderson first due to its convenient UWS location). We have been remarkably happy at TAG, and I truly cannot imagine the education being any better. He is reading at a very high level, writing full paragraphs, adding and subtracting double digits, multiplying, has become deeply intellectually curious while also gaining an even greater confidence and poise. We had a K school play yesterday that was simply off the charts in terms of execution wall-to-wall education, and the confidence and poise was present in each and every of the 50 kids. Perfection. It is also beautifully diverse environment, and he has peers who are constantly pushing the envelope in healthy competition.

That said, from the outside, it is prone to many of the challenges that any public bureaucracy is prone to re: communication and coordination. But that is largely outside the classroom, and is clearly trending upwards. There is an insanely high bar for students, as well as teachers, and the quality of educators that make it through the door is amazing, evinced by them sometimes being poached by private schools or the private sector.

Thank you! How is preparing for Hunter K and G&T different? Has anyone prepared their kid for the Hunter K test? Is tutoring helpful?