+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G&T Question

G&T Question

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some information on the G&T programs in Brooklyn district 15 (i.e. 32, 38, and 230). I do not know anyone personally who has experience with these programs so the only information source I have is the internet. They all have a fair amount of negative reviews and most of the comments are out of date. My son is currently registered at PS 154 (Windsor Terrace School) for K in the fall. I have gotten some good feedback about that school from parents in the neighborhood and so I am confused and uncertain about the choice I should make.

To make matters worse, I recently found out that my son and I have to find a new place to live by June 1. I am hoping to find another apt in the Windsor Terrace area but due to financial reasons I may have to move further down into Brooklyn to Bay Ridge (district 20). I am assuming I would not be able to place my son in a district 20 g&t class prior to obtaining an address there??? So I think it would be best to enroll him in district 15. Would I be able to transfer him to a g&t program in district 20 if it came to that???

I would greatly appreciate any information and/or insight anyone could provide!

Karin

I'd try to find a district 20 address ASAP if that's where u r def going. Transfer sounds like a lot of work & not guaranteed and you'll be stuck in a very bad position.

My child attends PS 38, in the G&T program. Our experience has been wonderful. The mixed reviews are, I believe, reflective of a program that has been in transition -- 38 is a very diverse community in terms of class and culture, and there are some unavoidable tensions that result from that. The school, and the principal in particular, have been committed to easing those tensions and creating a cohesive community. With that preface, I'll start with the pros: great teachers (which the reviews reflect), small classes in G&T, diversity (even in the G&T classes), a revitalized PTA that has helped improve communication and after-school options, strong arts and enrichment programs, a large, nice building and play area, and plenty of field trips. The cons, in my experience, have been historically bad communication from the administration (something which has improved this year), a limited budget that requires persistent effort to retain and expand programs, and some disorganization on the part of the administration. Because many reviews of 38 mention the principal, I should too. In my opinion, she is the kind of strong leader the school needs, and is committed to serving the needs of all the children. There are many parents who genuinely like her. That said, she has a tendency to view criticism as confrontation, and has a definite sense of the role organized parents should play in the school (support, not leadership). The school succeeds both because of and despite the actions of the principal. I would recommend PS 38 to anyone. My child is thriving academically, and I really like the community. If you are interested, I suggest you attend the spring carnival, which is open to the public and really represents the school's culture.

Do you know anyone who is not in district 15 that got into the PS 38 G & T? TIA

My family is from outside the district, and so are quite a few others. My sense is that in the area, the old reputation of the school has lingered, and some in-district parents prefer other schools, like 32. Having toured both, I strongly preferred 38, but that's just my reaction. Let the school administration know if you really want to be there.
    Last edited by BkDad; 04-16-2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: clarification

That's excellent news! The kindergarten admissions process is so disheartening at times.

We live in District 15 in Windsor Terrace, zoned for PS 130, not PS 154. We know the schools and area very well. Can't speak much about Bay Ridge, other than hear there are some great zoned schools there to rival D15.

Short answer for you: if you plan to stay in District 15, you should not move from PS 154 in favor of G&T options. It is a very well regarded school in D15, better than PS 130 currently, as last year's rezoning has left PS 130 integrating parts of Kensington and has concentrated 154 to a subset of its original zoning, rather than expanding southward. PTA, administration, school resources, etc are established at 154 and is a desirable school. Thus, in my mind 154 is a no brainer compared to district G&T options like nearby PS 230, unless you have other compelling reasons. For us, PS 130 Gen Ed is more of toss up compared to district G&T options, but given strong momentum of 130, it probably edges them out anyway. So despite being G&T eligible, we are likely staying at 130, after attending some G&T sessions, principally for PS 32 in Gowanus. After all, our main purpose in testing for G&T was uncovering citywide options.

Now, as others have said, if you are moving to D20, you may well served to explore options there if it will help with logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by BkDad View Post
    My family is from outside the district, and so are quite a few others. My sense is that in the area, the old reputation of the school has lingered, and some in-district parents prefer other schools, like 32. Having toured both, I strongly preferred 38, but that's just my reaction. Let the school administration know if you really want to be there.
    BkDad, would you mind telling me what district you're in? I toured 38 and really liked it but I'm in D20. An 8am start is so early and I'm concerned about the commute -whether the BQE at rush hour or the train (not sure about busing). Is the commute really worth it? And, did you check out any other schools in your district before choosing 38? We took a look at a few G&T classes and I was especially impressed with the 2nd graders and their teachers (at 38). Thanks so much!

l also highly recommend the G&T program at PS 38. As the other poster said, the class sizes are small (my daughter's Kindergarten class had only 15 kids and her first grade class has 20 kids). Also, the teacher are really, really great. The kindergarten teachers (Ms. Adams and Ms. Ramos) are stand outs. My daughter has been thriving there and now in first grade she reads several levels above grade level, loves writing and science and is always eager to go to school. Because a lot of District 15 families seem to choose their zoned schools, the PS 38 G&T program takes A LOT of kids from out of district. We got a spot from District 13.

Quote Originally Posted by IamMine View Post
    BkDad, would you mind telling me what district you're in? I toured 38 and really liked it but I'm in D20. An 8am start is so early and I'm concerned about the commute -whether the BQE at rush hour or the train (not sure about busing). Is the commute really worth it? And, did you check out any other schools in your district before choosing 38? We took a look at a few G&T classes and I was especially impressed with the 2nd graders and their teachers (at 38). Thanks so much!
    The commute isn't an issue for me, since we live 2 stops away if I catch the express train. There is no G&T in my district (16) and 38 is closer than the school for which they gave us district priority. That said, our grade has students from Crown Heights, Sunset Park, and Rockaway Beach (!), so plenty of parents are travelling in. The 8am start time is annoying, though.