+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PS 33 and PS 11

Quote Originally Posted by technomaster View Post
    I'm a 1st grade parent at NEST+m and was browsing through this. 2 years ago, cutoff at PS11 was somewhere in the middle of the 97's (we knew of parents at our PreK program at PS116 (Murray Hill) that both made and didn't make it.

I think PS33's slots were all taken by the 96's, possibly some 95's made it?

I was very impressed by both of these schools during our tours in 2015. The arts/performance focus + swimming/keyboarding + chickens (!!!) seemed fantastic. PS33 had some impressive teachers and the writing samples at PS33 were mindblowing, very similar to Anderson. I don't know they also were leveraging the Columbia/Teacher's College writing curriculum.

One thing not often considered during the ranking process is the maturity of each school's PTA. I didn't realize this back then, but most if not all of the non-academic extras (TC's curriculum, dance programs, performances, etc) are funded by the school community/PTA, so there are definitely advantages to joining schools where there's a strong tradition of big donation and having these programs year and after. This is a big (often unspoken) differentiator that speaks to both neighborhood and the legacy of commitment from the school community.
    This for your response. It was very informative.

Anyone knows why PS 11 does not have TAs in class despite a huge PTA fund? PS 33 has shared TAs and this was one of the reasons why I picked PS 33 over PS 11.

GT_Parent, whether or not to allow TAs is the Principal's choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribecamom View Post
    GT_Parent, whether or not to allow TAs is the Principal's choice.
    Yes, true. I was wondering if someone with a kid in PS 11 can tell what is the principal's rationale/reason behind not having TAs. Just curious to know.

Hi - I'm a reporter at Business Insider and am looking to profile PS 33 and looking to have voices within the PS 33 community to share their experience with me. If you are interested email me at ajackson@businessinsider.com and I'll fill you in on the piece some more.

Does anyone know what the lowest non sibling score was for the K students accepted to PS 11 and PS 33 G and T ? ( we got a 95 and a spot at PS 111 which we will decline in favor of our zoned school. )

Depends on the year. Mine got in at 33 with 95 2 years ago. This year I know kids with 97 who did not get in.

What is your zones school?

Thanks for the info ! PS 33 is our zoned school but we got a spot at PS 3 for gened off the waitlist . I don't love the gened at PS 33 so we thought we'd do PS 3 since I think chances are low we'd get in to PS 33 or 11 G&T even off a waitlist with a 95.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post
    Thanks for the info ! PS 33 is our zoned school but we got a spot at PS 3 for gened off the waitlist . I don't love the gened at PS 33 so we thought we'd do PS 3 since I think chances are low we'd get in to PS 33 or 11 G&T even off a waitlist with a 95.
    Call PS33 after June 12, by then they will have a better idea of how many spots are not filled. You still have a chance.