+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: PS 33 and PS 11

  1. #1

    PS 33 and PS 11

    What did you think of these two schools? Which one did you like better?

  2. #2
    I personally liked PS 11 better mostly because of the extensive arts, music and dance programs which every kid takes every week. You can't beat the swimming pool and swimming classes too. Other pros for PS 11 for me personally are the later start time (8:50 am for school day, 8:30 am for school breakfast), the location is a little closer to me and in a nicer part of Chelsea than PS 33, and last but not least, overall school test scores at PS 11 are higher than at PS 33. What I liked about PS 33 are the very enthusiastic teachers and how they "accelerate" the truly advanced kids. I didn't meet any teachers at the PS 11 tour so I can't compare.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by D2HappyGoLucky View Post
    I personally liked PS 11 better mostly because of the extensive arts, music and dance programs which every kid takes every week. You can't beat the swimming pool and swimming classes too. Other pros for PS 11 for me personally are the later start time (8:50 am for school day, 8:30 am for school breakfast), the location is a little closer to me and in a nicer part of Chelsea than PS 33, and last but not least, overall school test scores at PS 11 are higher than at PS 33. What I liked about PS 33 are the very enthusiastic teachers and how they "accelerate" the truly advanced kids. I didn't meet any teachers at the PS 11 tour so I can't compare.
    Thanks! It was good to know your perspective. We also liked both the schools but ended up picking PS33 over PS11 as PS33 has a more accelerated curriculum.

  4. #4
    We adore 33. It is very challenging, and the teachers are phenomenal.
    -Awesome parent and student community-

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribecamom View Post
    We adore 33. It is very challenging, and the teachers are phenomenal.
    -Awesome parent and student community-
    Yes, the writing samples in the class rooms were really impressive.

  6. #6
    Does anyone know what test scores get into PS11 or PS33?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by kristinayn View Post
    Does anyone know what test scores get into PS11 or PS33?
    You can check these from last year. I think I saw a 97 for both PS11 and PS33. Although it is hard to tell from these spreadsheets what is the lowest score that these schools end up taking.
    Here you go..https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1022286488
    and
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...7iKEF8/pubhtml

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribecamom View Post
    We adore 33. It is very challenging, and the teachers are phenomenal.
    -Awesome parent and student community-
    Thanks Tribecamom. I agree. I liked the teachers and the work samples I saw in class. Also, I love that they have a strong girls chess team. I feel that they didn't advertise well in the open house. When i did my own research, I found that the school is even better than what I saw in the open house. For example, they have keyboards but they didn't show that class to us. Do you know what is the lowest score/percentile they end up taking? Just an approx.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by kristinayn View Post
    Does anyone know what test scores get into PS11 or PS33?
    You can check these from last year. I think I saw a 97 for both PS11 and PS33. Although it is hard to tell from these spreadsheets what is the lowest score that these schools end up taking.
    Here you go..https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1022286488
    and
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...7iKEF8/pubhtml

    Also, it would be great if you can enter info in this year's spreadsheet if you haven't already done so:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=439114268

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    67
    I'm a 1st grade parent at NEST+m and was browsing through this. 2 years ago, cutoff at PS11 was somewhere in the middle of the 97's (we knew of parents at our PreK program at PS116 (Murray Hill) that both made and didn't make it.

    I think PS33's slots were all taken by the 96's, possibly some 95's made it?

    I was very impressed by both of these schools during our tours in 2015. The arts/performance focus + swimming/keyboarding + chickens (!!!) seemed fantastic. PS33 had some impressive teachers and the writing samples at PS33 were mindblowing, very similar to Anderson. Perhaps they also were leveraging the Columbia/Teacher's College writing curriculum.

    One thing not often considered during the ranking process is the maturity of each school's PTA. I didn't realize this back then, but most if not all of the non-academic extras (TC's curriculum, dance programs, performances, etc) are funded by the school community/PTA, so there are definitely advantages to joining schools where there's a strong tradition of big donation and having these programs year and after. This is a big (often unspoken) differentiator that speaks to both neighborhood and the legacy of commitment from the school community.
    Last edited by technomaster; 06-06-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts