+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: PS 33 and PS 11

Thanks so much !

Quote Originally Posted by Momx2 View Post
    Call PS33 after June 12, by then they will have a better idea of how many spots are not filled. You still have a chance.
    You can also call them now and find out your waitlist no. if you want to get an idea of what your chances are like.

Can anyone tell me about the first week of school at PS 33? I know the buses don't start because they want the kids to learn their way around and their teachers first. Do we take the kids (K) to their classrooms? I thought parents were not allowed to enter the school but I'm not sure if that is different at the beginning of the school year.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midtownmom View Post
    Can anyone tell me about the first week of school at PS 33? I know the buses don't start because they want the kids to learn their way around and their teachers first. Do we take the kids (K) to their classrooms? I thought parents were not allowed to enter the school but I'm not sure if that is different at the beginning of the school year.

thanks
    Not sure how current K works. My daughter went to PS124 6 years ago, they allow parents to bring the kids to class and stayed for a while. I believe it still the same for K.

At 33, the bus is up and running after the first day! We always bring our boys the first and second day. After that we’re all about the bus. The kindergarten teachers are awesome about letting parents in!��

Quote Originally Posted by Tribecamom View Post
    At 33, the bus is up and running after the first day! We always bring our boys the first and second day. After that were all about the bus. The kindergarten teachers are awesome about letting parents in!��
    Tribecamom, would you be able to share where the yellow bus drops off and picks up in the financial district? For example, does the bus go down Broadway before going to south Battery Park City. Am thinking about signing up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by GT_Parent View Post
    What did you think of these two schools? Which one did you like better?
    I have direct experience with NEST and PS33. Several years ago, I also toured PS 11 vs. PS 33 and took notes.

NEST vs. PS 33:
    - Academically, PS 33 is more "traditional" than NEST. PS 33 follows an approach that was more similar to NEST before the current principal Mark Berkowitz took over several years ago. Mark is quite "progressive", especially compared to Cindy at PS 33. Some people like it, some don't. For our kids, we thought a traditional approach worked better for one and a progressive for the other. PS33 noticeably more take-home work than NEST+m at the same level.
    - As a citywide school, the NEST student body is more geographically dispersed. There are pockets of students in every neighborhood, especially Brooklyn, Queens and the various neighborhoods in Manhattan. Implication: Chelsea Prep community seems to be closer than NEST ... easier to setup playdates, 5 vs. 2 kids at the typical bus stop, etc.
    - Socioeconomically, NEST+m is diverse than PS 33 (the G&T program), which draws almost entirely from District 2 parents.
    - Other than these two factors (geography and socioeconomics), I saw zero difference in the brightness, curiousity, intelligence, etc. of the G&T student populations at NEST and Chelsea Prep. To this day, I see no material difference between the average kid who scored a 90 and one who scored a 99 on that test.
    - Parents in both schools are both very involved in their kids' education. In general, this may have been the biggest draw for us of G&T programs.
    - I want to say that the average PS 33 G&T parent donates more money to the PTA than the average NEST parent, but at PS33 the PTA funds are split with the GenEd program where contribution and participation rates are far lower. While I did not attend, looking at photos, the PS 33 gala was almost entirely G&T parents.

PS 33 vs. PS 11 (based on my notes from several years ago):
    - We had ranked PS33 above PS11 by a slight margin. Note that some of this was specific thoughts on the different approaches (PS33 "traditional", PS11 "progressive") and what we thought was more appropriate for our child. Note also that my understanding is that more parents will rank PS11 over PS33 in most years.
    - Facilities-wise, PS11 was slightly better back then. However, we did not really care much for the swimming pool and with the new playground, I would probably say they are comparable.
    - Location and preceived safety-wise, PS 11 is better. Closer to major subways and also neighborhood is noticeably nicer.
    - PS33 shares 1 TA for every two classes. PS11 has 1 rotating teacher per grade, but no assigned TAs (don't know if this hasn't changed from when I took the tour).

Other PS33 specific notes:
    - PS33 recently build a new outdoor playground that is quite nice. My child likes to run around and gets a lot of that at Chelsea Prep.
    - I can validate the often-mentioned anecdotes about the divide between G&T and GenEd students at PS33. G&T is almost entirely white, asian with a really high number of half-white/asian children. GenEd is mostly black and latino.
    - PS33 lower grades have 1 TA that is shared between 2 classes (1 G&T, 1 GenEd). Like NEST, there is a specific TA fund that is meant to support this effort.

Overall we have had a wonderful experience at NEST, at PS33 and we have friends who only say great things about PS11. I don't think you can go wrong with either one (or any G&T program for that matter), so I think maybe it comes down to needs of the individual child and logistics.