+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ps 166 g&t

Ps 166 g&t

Hi everyone - We weren't able to tour PS 166 since they did all their tours in the winter. We are considering PS 166 as an option since we are in district 3. We spoke to few individuals who have toured the school and have positive things to say about the school. However so far we haven't come across a parent whose child is in the G&T program. So just wanted to get views on PS 166.

Also, how would you rank them against TAG (which I know is Citywide and we really liked it but we are on UWS and PS 166 will be much closer). I think academically TAG was at par with Anderson and we were super impressed with the students in TAG!
    Last edited by chilledmom; 04-24-2017 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chilledmom View Post
    Hi everyone - We weren't able to tour PS 166 since they did all their tours in the winter. We are considering PS 166 as an option since we are in district 3. We spoke to few individuals who have toured the school and have positive things to say about the school. However so far we haven't come across a parent whose child is in the G&T program. So just wanted to get views on PS 166.

Also, how would you rank them against TAG (which I know is Citywide and we really liked it but we are on UWS and PS 166 will be much closer). I think academically TAG was at par with Anderson and we were super impressed with the students in TAG!
    Hi chilledmom,
    I'm on the same boat 😔
    Considering city wide schools vs G&T 166 vs Success Academy vs PS 9. I missed all the G&T school tours because we were out of the country so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. Good luck!

My child is in the G&T at PS166. We're pretty happy there. For reading and writing they use the teaching college curriculum and for math they follow the common core curriculum and they do ECAM which is leveled. They have math and reading coaches. Despite the curriculum not being accelerated I feel that the children are challenged. Usually only children that score in the 99th percentile get a spot (and siblings). They have music, dance, computers and art every week and they go on field trips on a monthly basis. They start to learn coding in kindergarten and weekly chess starts in first grade. The children in my child's class are great. Each class has a teaching assistant and sometimes a student teacher. About a third of children live in the zone. The G&T curriculum is the same as the general program. I'm not sure how the curricula of TAG, SA and PS9 compare to that of PS166. I've heard that TAG is more accelerated but that the after school program sucks and that they rank children according to ability and that there is a lot of competition and pressure. I would think that PS9 is on par with PS166. SA is another story. I would personally choose a school that is close. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.

Quote Originally Posted by KathW View Post
    My child is in the G&T at PS166. We're pretty happy there. For reading and writing they use the teaching college curriculum and for math they follow the common core curriculum and they do ECAM which is leveled. They have math and reading coaches. Despite the curriculum not being accelerated I feel that the children are challenged. Usually only children that score in the 99th percentile get a spot (and siblings). They have music, dance, computers and art every week and they go on field trips on a monthly basis. They start to learn coding in kindergarten and weekly chess starts in first grade. The children in my child's class are great. Each class has a teaching assistant and sometimes a student teacher. About a third of children live in the zone. The G&T curriculum is the same as the general program. I'm not sure how the curricula of TAG, SA and PS9 compare to that of PS166. I've heard that TAG is more accelerated but that the after school program sucks and that they rank children according to ability and that there is a lot of competition and pressure. I would think that PS9 is on par with PS166. SA is another story. I would personally choose a school that is close. I'm happy to answer any questions you have.
    Thank you so much for answering KathW!!! I didn't imagine my son would get 99 at the G&T test so I didn't visit Ps166 and now they don't have any more tours �� so I appreciate your help soo much! How much interaction do G&T and gen classes have? I'm worry about rivalry between the kind ds and/or the parents?

The G&T and the general classes have recess and lunch together and do some performances together. The kids don't know they are in G&T or in general, at least in the earlier grades and I've heard that by the time they figure it out most are wise enough not to make it a big deal. I've never seen any rivalry between kids or parents. There really isn't much difference between the general and the G&T program and there is a lot of overlap in demographics.

Our son went to UWSA (albeit for just a month) so maybe I can provide some background. We were zoned to a not so great school on the UWS and we were looking for alternatives. We applied to few other public schools and SA schools and finally got through UWSA.

We found the school to be very nice and organized. The children gather in the morning and form a line. The principal greets each child with their name and then they walk into the school. The classes are clean and very bright. They have a summer reading list which the parent/ child needs to complete before the school commences and then they get a reading list each week. We thought this was terrific and my son started to read books within the first month of the school. They also emphasis on writing so he was able to write small sentences. His work at school included explaining a picture which helped developing his writing ability. We have been on tours of Anderson and TAG which are really accelerated on academics and the students’ writing work was available for parents to view. It was truly exceptional for kindergarten and we think had we continued with UWSA, our son would likely been at the same level given their focus on academics. The school was very diverse and our son loved it. His kindergarten teacher was very nice, supportive and approachable.

A month later we were off the waitlist for PS 452 and we decided to move him to PS 452. It was a difficult decision specially give the positives noted above, however our reasons were:
    • UWSA had a very long day, starts at 7:25 and ends at 3:45. That’s over 8 hours which we thought is a lot for a kindergartner.
    • There wasn’t any transportation option other than the Subway. So I had to leave before 7 each morning to drop him. The school is very strict on timing and being late meant an ‘infraction’ so I personally used to be very stressed each morning. Comparatively PS 452 is much closer and 15 minute walk from our place with normal public school hours.
    • We found PS 452 more welcoming and warm compared to SA. SA focuses a lot on discipline which is good, but somehow we felt a highly disciplined routine may not be the best for our son. He is very creative and likes to express himself a lot. We felt that the environment at PS 452 will be more supportive and nurture his creativity.

Our son absolutely loves PS 452 and they have a great principal. Mr. Parker knew my son’s name even before he had joined and he is extremely pleasant, approachable and supportive. We can walk up to him to discuss absolutely anything. If we don’t get through our top choices in the G&T program, we’ll continue at PS 452. It’s an amazing school.
    Last edited by chilledmom; 04-26-2017 at 09:17 AM.

The G&T and the general classes have recess and lunch together and do some performances together. The kids don't know they are in G&T or in general, at least in the earlier grades and I've heard that by the time they figure it out most are wise enough not to make it a big deal. I've never seen any rivalry between kids or parents. There really isn't much difference between the general and the G&T program and there is a lot of overlap in demographics.
    Thank you so much for answering!

Quote Originally Posted by chilledmom View Post
    Our son went to UWSA (albeit for just a month) so maybe I can provide some background. We were zoned to a not so great school on the UWS and we were looking for alternatives. We applied to few other public schools and SA schools and finally got through UWSA.

We found the school to be very nice and organized. The children gather in the morning and form a line. The principal greets each child with their name and then they walk into the school. The classes are clean and very bright. They have a summer reading list which the parent/ child needs to complete before the school commences and then they get a reading list each week. We thought this was terrific and my son started to read books within the first month of the school. They also emphasis on writing so he was able to write small sentences. His work at school included explaining a picture which helped developing his writing ability. We have been on tours of Anderson and TAG which are really accelerated on academics and the students’ writing work was available for parents to view. It was truly exceptional for kindergarten and we think had we continued with UWSA, our son would likely been at the same level given their focus on academics. The school was very diverse and our son loved it. His kindergarten teacher was very nice, supportive and approachable.

A month later we were off the waitlist for PS 452 and we decided to move him to PS 452. It was a difficult decision specially give the positives noted above, however our reasons were:
    • UWSA had a very long day, starts at 7:25 and ends at 3:45. That’s over 8 hours which we thought is a lot for a kindergartner.
    • There wasn’t any transportation option other than the Subway. So I had to leave before 7 each morning to drop him. The school is very strict on timing and being late meant an ‘infraction’ so I personally used to be very stressed each morning. Comparatively PS 452 is much closer and 15 minute walk from our place with normal public school hours.
    • We found PS 452 more welcoming and warm compared to SA. SA focuses a lot on discipline which is good, but somehow we felt a highly disciplined routine may not be the best for our son. He is very creative and likes to express himself a lot. We felt that the environment at PS 452 will be more supportive and nurture his creativity.

Our son absolutely loves PS 452 and they have a great principal. Mr. Parker knew my son’s name even before he had joined and he is extremely pleasant, approachable and supportive. We can walk up to him to discuss absolutely anything. If we don’t get through our top choices in the G&T program, we’ll continue at PS 452. It’s an amazing school.
    Thanks chilledmom! It was vey informative! If distance and long hours was the main reason for your move we'll be ok. Our youngest is our alarm clock! We are up at 6am every day and we live 3 blocks from the school ��
    Thanks again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vietnampame View Post
    Thanks chilledmom! It was vey informative! If distance and long hours was the main reason for your move we'll be ok. Our youngest is our alarm clock! We are up at 6am every day and we live 3 blocks from the school ��
    Thanks again!!!!
    You are welcome. I think distance and long hours were definitely significant factors. My son used to be very tried by the time he reached home so we had limited opportunity to do anything else. On Wednesdays, the school ends early (I think 11:30). We also considered the focus on discipline, sort of regimental approach. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

My child will be starting at PS 166 G&T. We received classroom placements but no mention of G&T. Can you let me know which classes / teachers are designated as G&T?