+ Reply to Thread

Thread: phasing out G&T

phasing out G&T

Does anyone know why it seems more schools are phasing out the program?

This might be an oversimplification, but my understanding is that NYC sets up G&T programs to improve poorly performing schools. Makes sense. Bring in smart kids with highly engaged parents, build a culture of high achievement, then discontinue the G&T program when it has run its course.

It definitely improves rankings fast, though in my limited sample size it seems as if the rankings dip over time after the program has been discontinued.

For example, PS 116 in Murray Hill (D2) had a G&T program that was discontinued in recent years. The last G&T class moved on to middle school a couple of years ago. If you take a look on schooldigger.com's rankings, you'll see the standardized test scores dipping and the overall school performance falling a bit.

The school has fallen to 84th percentile, but at it's best it broke into the top 100 (96th percentile!) of NYS elementary schools (based on School Digger's methodology).

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/NY/s...33/school.aspx

An example of a program just starting up is PS 15 (Roberto Clemente on E4th St, a few blocks away from NEST+m). https://www.schooldigger.com/go/NY/s...87/school.aspx

Their G&T program has only had a couple of years worth of students - they haven't yet had a G&T class help with the standardized tests in 4th/5th, but you are already seeing some improvement.

My hypothesis is that when you bring in the tiger parents, it starts to shift the culture of the school; you start getting different folks to get engaged with the PTA, building better fund raisers, helping to get more of the school's needs paid for. I bet district G&T schools also get some additional budget benefits from the DOE.
    Last edited by technomaster; 06-06-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Does a school have to be held to a higher standard in the teacher and their curriculum for their GT program? If not, the GT program would be just like a shell and be pretty meaningless...no?

Quote Originally Posted by GT2017D2 View Post
    Does a school have to be held to a higher standard in the teacher and their curriculum for their GT program? If not, the GT program would be just like a shell and be pretty meaningless...no?
    ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!!!! That's pretty much the case. It all depends on the school. This is what happened to us in a District G&T. However, I know that others are working at a much higher standard in their G&T program. (and to be fair to ours, I don't think it's all the teachers in every year...)

Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!!!! That's pretty much the case. It all depends on the school. This is what happened to us in a District G&T. However, I know that others are working at a much higher standard in their G&T program. (and to be fair to ours, I don't think it's all the teachers in every year...)
    This is the reason why I wish they would have a more accelerated and defined curriculum in district G&T schools as they have in citywide G&T schools. This would give more options to the parents and there would be less disappointment for not getting into the lottery for citywide G&Ts. Some district G&T schools quite honestly told the parents in their open house that there is no difference in curriculum between G&T and GenEd in their school and the kids will never even know that they went to G&T unless someone told them that explicitly.

thanks for the info, it does make sense when I look up the stats for all the school that I looked up on schooldigger.

im glad I went this route bc seems like my zone school which phased out of G&T is going down again.

the school my kid got accepted into has maintained an above average stat throughout so im glad for it.

Quote Originally Posted by GT_Parent View Post
    This is the reason why I wish they would have a more accelerated and defined curriculum in district G&T schools as they have in citywide G&T schools. This would give more options to the parents and there would be less disappointment for not getting into the lottery for citywide G&Ts. Some district G&T schools quite honestly told the parents in their open house that there is no difference in curriculum between G&T and GenEd in their school and the kids will never even know that they went to G&T unless someone told them that explicitly.
    Agree that for some kids, accelerated curriculum would be best because it would allow them to be with same-age peers but do work that is pegged to a more advanced grade and if they don't luck into a citywide with a 99% on the test, what are their options? Question: does anyone have a child in a district G&T school, especially in District 2, that offers an accelerated curriculum?

I ask because someone at DOE told me that there are accelerated curricula at many district G&T schools "although it varies greatly how this looks from school to school." I hadn't heard that before-- and a bunch of district G&Ts I toured specifically indicated that the curriculum was the same as gen ed classrooms (with the main difference being depth and enrichment). That same DOE staffer also indicated that it's the parent's job to contact the individual schools themselves. I'd love to pool people's experiences and hear if anyone has seen an accelerated curriculum at work in a district G&T or whose child is attending a school where there are opportunities for whole grade or subject acceleration.

By accelerated curriculum, I mean the teachers are teaching to the common core ELA or Math standards of a grade above the grade they are assigned to teach (for kindergarteners, it would be teaching to first grade standards and so on). This would be useful information for parents to be given during the admissions/enrollment process because it would likely factor into people's final decisions.