+ Reply to Thread

Cutoff Score Changes For The Revised SHSAT

Hi, I am a student who will be taking the SHSAT in about two months. I know results don't come out until March of next year, but I would still like to know. I am aiming for either Bronx Science or Stuy, and I was wondering about cutoff scores for this year. I have been told my multiple people that the cutoff scores may change more than previous years due to the new changes to the SHSAT. In previous years, the cutoff for Bronx was around 515 and for Stuy, it was around 560. I am not exactly sure how much of a difference the changes to test will make, but I wanted to see what others know. If anyone knows anything or has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks once again.

Look at it this way - the cutoff score may change due to changes in the material on the test, but the total number of students accepted to the various schools will not change. In other words, your chances of getting in are the same as they would have been in past years. Just do your best to prepare for the test.

I think @ManhattanMomof2 is basically on target. The only difference is that kids who do not have access to significant Test Prep should be more competitive for admission. That's the idea behind getting rid of the Scrambled Paragraphs and "Logical Reasoning," which are not taught in schools and could only be aced with a lot of practice and tutoring. So, if one's strategy is to get into Stuy or Science by just clearing the cutoff, the competition in that range of scores might be greater next year, which is a good thing, in my opinion.

The Scrambled Paragraphs in particular were absurd, with more than one reasonably arguable correct answer to several questions. I thought that their real purpose was to randomize scoring, but no one will ever admit that. So, I think the test is better and more fair without them, which is to everyone's advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by NYParent View Post
    I think @ManhattanMomof2 is basically on target. The only difference is that kids who do not have access to significant Test Prep should be more competitive for admission. That's the idea behind getting rid of the Scrambled Paragraphs and "Logical Reasoning," which are not taught in schools and could only be aced with a lot of practice and tutoring. So, if one's strategy is to get into Stuy or Science by just clearing the cutoff, the competition in that range of scores might be greater next year, which is a good thing, in my opinion.

The Scrambled Paragraphs in particular were absurd, with more than one reasonably arguable correct answer to several questions. I thought that their real purpose was to randomize scoring, but no one will ever admit that. So, I think the test is better and more fair without them, which is to everyone's advantage.
    Hi. i am a parent of a student who will take the SHSAT in about 5 weeks. My child start to take Kaplan practice in May and is improving well-NOT great . . Some other practice book test which we use he does some much higher. In September he is work one on one . With his tuddor. We thought starting him in another test company , kids recieve Material and i was not happy with the Books!! I took a look into books ,the material was not the most update . The editing was just wrong. I have a question for Nyparent . I have read in thread that your child took a test , walking in Beespooke two weeks before he took realistic test? How does that work? Thanks in advance ....

Quote Originally Posted by caringparent View Post
    Hi. i am a parent of a student who will take the SHSAT in about 5 weeks. My child start to take Kaplan practice in May and is improving well-NOT great . . Some other practice book test which we use he does some much higher. In September he is work one on one . With his tuddor. We thought starting him in another test company , kids recieve Material and i was not happy with the Books!! I took a look into books ,the material was not the most update . The editing was just wrong. I have a question for Nyparent . I have read in thread that your child took a test , walking in Beespooke two weeks before he took realistic test? How does that work? Thanks in advance ....
    Bespoke Education is a tutoring company, which offers "Mock Testing." We found it useful because it provided an opportunity for our son to take an SHSAT test in an unfamiliar environment to help get him ready for the experience of test day itself. In the past, the tests that Bespoke gave were actual SHSAT tests that had been given in prior years. They then score the test and provide the results, along with an answer key so a student can see what s/he got right or wrong. In the case of our son, his results on the Mock Test were consistent with how he scored on the actual test.

This year, with the new test format, I imagine that Bespoke will do its best to estimate what the new version of the SHSAT will contain but the reality is that it will not be an exact replica, because the new version has not yet been given.

We found the Mock Testing useful because it gave our son an opportunity to experience taking the test under unfamiliar conditions and also enabled us to benchmark what he was doing with his private tutor and in the tutoring program he took. However, a Mock Test does not serve the same purpose as nor can it take the place of actual tutoring.

Here is a link to Bespoke Education. If you want to learn more about the mock test, click on the Tab at the top for "Mock Testing." Please note that I am providing this for informational purposes only and, while I found it useful for my son, I am not otherwise personally endorsing Bespoke Education, which has a very fine reputation.

https://www.bespokeeducation.com/

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by NYParent View Post
    Bespoke Education is a tutoring company, which offers "Mock Testing." We found it useful because it provided an opportunity for our son to take an SHSAT test in an unfamiliar environment to help get him ready for the experience of test day itself. In the past, the tests that Bespoke gave were actual SHSAT tests that had been given in prior years. They then score the test and provide the results, along with an answer key so a student can see what s/he got right or wrong. In the case of our son, his results on the Mock Test were consistent with how he scored on the actual test.

This year, with the new test format, I imagine that Bespoke will do its best to estimate what the new version of the SHSAT will contain but the reality is that it will not be an exact replica, because the new version has not yet been given.

We found the Mock Testing useful because it gave our son an opportunity to experience taking the test under unfamiliar conditions and also enabled us to benchmark what he was doing with his private tutor and in the tutoring program he took. However, a Mock Test does not serve the same purpose as nor can it take the place of actual tutoring.

Here is a link to Bespoke Education. If you want to learn more about the mock test, click on the Tab at the top for "Mock Testing." Please note that I am providing this for informational purposes only and, while I found it useful for my son, I am not otherwise personally endorsing Bespoke Education, which has a very fine reputation.

https://www.bespokeeducation.com/
    Thank you . You are explaining very well , detailed. My English is not that good. That what I thought , about different environment for my son. He does take test in Argo brother book. The latest he took in Tutroverse book , did those test and they are consistently same. I thought since he does work with his tutor , maybe will be good idea to do in other place . Just to take 'Mock test'. And we don't know this year test change. 114 question will be. On each part 47 out of 57 will be graded. 10 other will be experimental . Kids will not know through test wich are those question. My son did saw his progress since he started preping, and is impresive with himself . But thought he can do it better. Thanks again Nyparent, very helpful.......

In short, it's a rolling cutoff. The top X number of kids will get in, regardless of what scores they got, where X is the total number of offers at all the specialized schools.