+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's your SHSAT prep for the new test

Hello all,
    First time here and as an immigrant parent I'm on a curve of learning the ins and outs of the public general education, admissions, school system, so on..
    To cut to the chase. I never thought of taking the Shsat before, but our school guidance advised us to give it a try as my kid's grades are good and you never know..
    Though, I decided to prep him in September, got 4 books (one is the free handbook from doe). So far, with every day engagements of about 1 to 4 hrs (he's somewhat slow), we managed to finish 2 of them.
    So far, so good. (so what..)
    He's a fast learner, many of the questions he did not know when we started, but i particularly took time of work to prep him (I'm a computer tutor), so i take the time, examine the questions, read the explanations and go over them carefully. Basically, I'm the tutor, as i don't have the funds to go through expensive, even inexpensive one, but it's so wearing.
    Now, i keep noticing, that on some days he is doing pretty good on the practice tests, gets most of them correct, on other days, on the same type of tests, full of mistakes...
    We are shooting for all tech schools in the specialized ones. So, his stronger side is math, but he is also good on reading comprehension, besides that - Ela (grammar in particular) is a cry situation

I would love to hear from other parents who are prepping their kids, one way or another. What books or sources you use, what websites.. What's your story

Hi .I am the parent of an 8th grader to.The real test is in 2 weeks. We started for this test in May, and in one of the Prep Test courses-only Saturday for 3 hours. When our son took the diagnostic test was not impressive . the courses end in September and result improve 35%. For ELA part he was doing Ok. But also for ELA depends on the text, Mostly is just read and the practice your child can do. You are probably aware that on the test is 57 question for each math and Ela. Only 47 is going to be graded , 10 other are going to be experimental, for Ela/Math. For math part (i think is very hard , or for us at least) we had to hire Professional help .It is is the math kids didnt learn yet in school .Maybe your school have some after school prep? Our school also have some after school prep class . its provided from Tutorverse, they give student Test , today was 2nd and next Saturday is 3rd -last test. I think is good that give kids some different environment to take test and be able to finished. Just to feel confident .

Also for books , Kaplan you can find on shelf of local store (Barnes and Noble) Argo B book which have 5 test in. Tutorversebook .But remember this year test change . You must look for 2018 prep and did the school provide any Prep Book?! Hope this was little help for sharing.

Hi caringparent, thanks for the lengthy reply
    In the very beginning of our prep he took the practice test from the original Dept of Edu handbook (2017-2018), when the results were not so good. I started giving chunks of studying material (every day, changing one day math, the other ELA) for him to learn (as lots of those are not thought in school). Got the McGraw Hill new book, pretty god one, nicely organized. Got the Tutorverse, good one too, but the organization is not of my liking, as lots of time gets wasted to check the answers. Got the Argo Bro one, not bad, love the videos, probably the fastest of all to check work and study. All of them are the new ones, since i made sure of publication date is this years.
    It all comes to managing your time in the end. I am a fan of computerized learning.. website with quiz / test, checks answers automatically and also your time, gives you the answers right there - no time wasted, pure learning, especialy when you have video explanation (plus who doesn't like visualization of things).
    He never took a class or summer program, im not really sure what can he learn from someone else in an hour or two, that we can't on our own, but YES - specialized tutors with hints and tips are all other thing. The math I am tutoring as I understand most (but i'm not a teacher, not a Math person, just what i know of Math as my generation as very well prepared on that in school in Europe.)
    ELA, im following the answers and when they make sense, i am explaining. Takes time...
    I'm noticing he's doing equally good on both (though his math is the strength and never was the ELA), funny thing.
    I'm a bit scarred and concerned about the new test.. are they gonna be experimental rabbits... who knows.
    Great luck to you, caringparent!

Shsat in Two Weeks

I am a current GNT 8th grader getting ready to take the SHSAT, which is in two weeks; time passes faster than i think.. The test has changed; there are revise and editing sections for ela and grid in sections for math. I hope I get into Stuyvesant and will do so if I do when the results are recieved on March 8th 2018!!!

We Have that book. It's a 3rd edition . Have 3 test wich are good and are update to new formula test. But for excersise and work through pages as have 5 multiple choises . Instead supposed to be 4. But yes book have very good explainatuon .

cjin0711, i wish you luck! Stuyvesant is one that we are NOT shooting for
    caringparent, all of my books are the new test with 4 choices on a question. McGraw Hill has 1 full diagnostic test, nice study section and 2 full practice test (everything has answers). Tutorverse has 1 full diagnostic test, fat study section (only Math section is about 600 questions) and 1 full practice test (everything has answers, but i don't like the organization of the book), Argo bro I only got the Rev/Edit book (since our ELA skill is suffering) and bought it because price on Amazon mysteriously was $4 at that time.
    So, in the end, I prefer the books that are well organized and save me tons of time. Sure, the kid can study from all of them and check his scores, but the ones who are well organized make it easier and since everything is so time consuming.

I'm really curious to hear from people who got actual one on one tutoring, what's really valuable on those and did the time (1 or 2 hours) with a tutor make any difference versus self-paced learning and preparing.

Good luck to all students who is taking test this year .
    BulgaRo: For ELA part of preping we do all on our own. When we do one on one preping is math only. We find math is very challenging . Also our child sometimes is good on Ela sometimes is totaly got them wrong . Depends to the text for editing and revising . Depends also to child how are they filing . Are they in a good mood? All is that's have affect to. As I mention in above post we did some courses in some Prep class. We felt is ok but was not so much benefilas as it is with one on one.Every test he took was improvement . But is it good enough to get any offer , we don't know . Ela is mostly how you get the text I think , also depends on the kids reading level . Lexile . I think since you did work hard with your kid , and is very good at math . He has good chance to get some ofer from SH. How Ela is bad , maybe he doesn't do that bad . Maybe like alredy mostly kids . Example one reading article have 6 question and he got 3/6 . Some kids still take that or sometimes 6/6 . Other practice 4/6 . Depends to the question , and grammar . We don't focus much on the part of Ela. This year of 56 question 47 will be graded. Maybe your kid have already this score. 10 other question are going to be experimental. And math if he has already high grade 57/57 then he stands again great chance . For us , is still toug also on math part. Test is very hard . Happy to hear from some other family's their expiirience .

To correct 47 out off 57 will be graded. Depends how many kids will get corect answer.
    Maybe is not the best spelling , but I tried.

Hi, caringparent, thank you for the nice reply. Don't get me wrong, my kid is good at MATH, NOT so great on the SHSAT math questions
    What confused me, he has better scores at the ELA section of the Shsat prep. I really pushed him on the grammar with the books (but it's ALOT, and its not my native language), though he is pretty good (fast) reader - and as you said - one time he gets them all right, other times no so good (depending on the text, mood, stress level).
    Math question are confusing to me as well (I'm not a math teacher), but if I have to get them right I WILL even if i have to dwell on the question for some time. The problem is: the kids have ONLY about a minute or so to answer each question. When we do the TIMING test... because of the stress or whatever, he is NOT doing great. So, time IS the essence here...
    I did prep him good on Geometry (getting 100%), Algebraic expressions are also my favorites (my personal strong sides in math); but.. word problems.... naaah - especially if you combine them with ratios, statistics or some twisted, lengthy question (I remember back in the day when I was a teenager and took similar questions on IQ exams - and hated those; so I can put myself in his shoes..). Haha, I just asked him if on his Common core exams (score math - 4) he can compare the difficulty with ShSat - he laughed and said - not even close.
    Can kids do those questions? - definitely, with the right prep, and good enough time and lots, and lots of practice! ..or if they are simply geniuses! .