+ Reply to Thread

Question on overall score for G&T test

anyone knows how the overall score percentile is calculated? do they add the raw score of OLSAT and NNAT simply and rank among the age group? i am wondering whether a very strong NNAT (for example 47/48) and a 97% percentile OLSAT could eventually come out as 99% for overall score?

The short answer is that its curved, but it's the stronger OLSAT that generally makes the difference. If I recall correctly, people with a higher NNAT than OLSAT tend to get lower scores.

You need to search for the spreadsheets where people have posted these in past years--look in the "results" thread for every year; sorry, I don't have the links--I would have to do the same searching that you would.

When scores come out, the DOE also releases a conversion chart. Based on past charts, how "strong" a percentile is (a 99 with 47/48 versus a 99 with 39/48) has nothing to do with an overall score. All 99s carry equal weight (otherwise, the age bands would be meaningless). And a 97% OLSAT will never result in a 99% overall score. There are only 3 combinations that result in a 99 overall: 99-99, 99-98, and 98-99. As the score goes down, there are more possible combinations (I believe there are 5 or 6 combinations possible for a 98, 8 or 9 for a 97, etc). The relationship is not exactly exponential, but the lower the score, the higher the number of possible combinations.

Related question: Can a child in a citywide G&T school re-take the test in order to try to get into another citywide G&T?

Quote Originally Posted by gtmanhattandad View Post
    Related question: Can a child in a citywide G&T school re-take the test in order to try to get into another citywide G&T?
    Sorry, no. Per the DOE handbook: "Students currently attending Citywide G&T programs are not eligible to test for a different G&T placement."

I see. thanks D25Mommy!