Poll: Favoring Traditional Regents HS or PBAT HS

This poll will close on 11-30-2017 at 01:07 PM

+ Reply to Thread

Question PBAT vs Regents High Schools. Parents with kids in Portfolio Assessment high schools whats your advice?

I have been hearing more and more about PBAT system schools. I was not aware of them not long ago, so I visited one or two, and asked questions but I am still confused.
    I know there are about 28 - The New York Performance Standards Consortium represents 28 schools across New York State. Instead of taking the usual multiple-choice tests and receiving letter grades, the high schoolers would complete long-term projects and defend their work before faculty panels.

So traditional Regents vs. PBAT school? I am a bit lost since the approach for both is completely different. As I understand in the regular (regents) HS students put more time and effort to learn how to pass a score, though the PBAT are more concentrated in applying the skills learned.

Is there any parent of a child that goes to one of those Portfolio Assessment high school and have some insight for me, advice or things to look for (pros and cons even).

I know time is the essence here, with not so much time left for decision to be made to which HS to put priority in our HS Application form, I would gladly appreciate any kind of response and from those that have not a child in PBAT, but have more info than me

Some of the information that I found about PBAT schools from various sources

"Students must do a minimum of PBATs (performance based assessment tasks) in 4 subjects (ELA, SS, Math, and Science) and their performance is evaluated according to a rubric created by the Performance Standards Consortium. In Portfolio Assessment H.S. the waiver states that students must take the ELA regents and get a minimum grade of 65. (Students who get a grade of 75 or above on the ELA Regents do not need to take remedial English at CUNY colleges. Those with grades below 75 must take remedial English if they go to a CUNY college.)

PBATs and the work that leads up to them prepare students for the tasks they will need to do in college: research, information gathering, application and analysis, presentation, and defense of individual thinking. Many students struggle in college because they cannot manage a college level reading load, cannot write on a college level, and do not feel comfortable expressing themselves in academic discussions. PBATs develop all of these skills.
    Students who complete all the requirements as stated in the waiver get a NY State Regents Diploma. It looks just like any other Regents diploma. States including Maine, New Hampshire, New York, and Ohio are starting to adopt performance assessment systemswhich reveal students ability to apply information, not just to remember and regurgitate itto meet the new standards.

Standardized tests, with so-called selected response questions such as multiple-choice or true/false, dont need to be graded by humans. The grading is never subjective thanks to grading machines, which also make the process comparatively faster and less expensive. By contrast, portfolios must be graded by humans and grading between raters or even the same raters at different times can be inconsistent. By contrast, portfolios must be graded by humans and grading between raters or even the same raters at different times can be inconsistent.

Is a PBAT easier than a Regents Exam? No, they require significant instruction and preparation, high level reading, writing, thinking, revision, and presentation skills. They require students to demonstrate subject mastery that indicates readiness for college.