+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G&t 2018-19

G&t 2018-19

All - We are getting ready for the G&T test (again ) in January. My son will be applying for 2nd grade, he got 99 last time but no citywide. I realize that the chances for admission into second grade are slim, however we still want to try. He is very competitive and likes the tests, so we feel its a good idea for him to try it out again. Does anyone know if the exams for second grade are different from first. I know he'll continue to have bubble sheets but is there any other difference for participants?

Thanks

I believe it is NNAT and OLSAT Level B, not level A (which is what K and 1 entry are, but more OLSAT questions for the 1 entry), but you should email the GTHelp address in the DOE G&T handbook just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    I believe it is NNAT and OLSAT Level B, not level A (which is what K and 1 entry are, but more OLSAT questions for the 1 entry), but you should email the GTHelp address in the DOE G&T handbook just to make sure.
    Thanks. I did check with DOE and they explained the process. It will largely remain the same as for Grade 1.

Hi, for the students testing into Kindergarten, does the NNAT test include only Pattern Completion and Reasoning By Analogy? The 2018 handbook is not clear to me. The handbook basically says Pattern Completion, Reasoning By Analogy, Serial Reasoning and Spatial Visualization but doesn't say which grade takes what. Many thanks.

Does anyone have an idea of minimum to score on Olsat and NNAT for 1st grade to get 99?
    Last edited by SOSMom; 01-05-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SOSMom View Post
    Does anyone have an idea of minimum to score on Olsat and NNAT for 1st grade to get 99?
    Look through the past years results files for a spreadsheet--each year, people from this board post their scores in a spreadsheet. The one for 2017-18 (last year) is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=439114268

But I know they were also posted for 2016-17, and I believe also 2015-16; you'd have to look through the old posts to find links.

Thanks, i've seen those. I just want to know if the number of kids impact the score, those who were born at the same month? I know it might be too complicated to answer

The raw score is curved every year, so the number of kids who take it doesn't matter, but rather, how well they do. Kids raw scores are converted to percentile curves based on their age at the time of testing (see p. 14 of this year's G&T Handbook). Therefore, a kid born in December of 2013 is ranked against other kids born in that month, and not against a kid born in January 2013, who is practically a year older.

The best answer to your original question, what the minimum score is to get a 99 for first grade, is going to be found by going through the old spreadsheets and sorting for other kids who got 99s in your kids birth month. Look at their raw scores, and you'll get an idea of what it takes.

Thank you very much! Unfortunately there is no one from her month who scored 99, for 2015, 16, 17. She is from June

So many fewer folks test for 1st that there's less data. I'd look at April-May and July-August, and you should get a pretty good idea. For instance, I see there were a couple of May entries from last year, both of whom got 29 out of 30 on the OLSAT, but on the NNAT, one got 44 and the other got 48.

Its also helpful to look for those who didn't make a 99, so that you can see the scores that are definitely too low. There was also a June last year, who got a 96 with 25 on the OLSAT (which translated to an 89 percentile), but a 41 on the NNAT (which translated to a 99 percentile)

That at least gives you some idea of how many questions you need to get right on each section, keeping in mind that its bound to curve a little differently every year.