+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smconde View Post
    Last year they sent out invitations based on a rubric that included state test scores, attendance, and report card scores (4 core subjects) from 4th grade. If you list Anderson as one of your 12 slots for middle school, and you meet their initial rubric, you'll receive an invitation to take the test.

Also, Anderson is a G&T citywide school. Anybody from the 5 boroughs can apply to Anderson for middle school, so it makes no difference where you live within NYC.
    Thanks! Any idea what’s the cutoff for the state test scores and report card grades? I’d imagine 4s in everything? Do they only test kids with high 4s in state tests?

I don’t really know. My son was invited to test with a 4.26 in ELA and. 4.42 in Math. He had all 4s in his report card for the 4 core subjects, and perfect attendance & punctuality.

What do they test more? Is it just an interview ? can you shed some light. ?
    ( State tests already do rigorous testing !! )

It’s a proprietary test designed (I think) by Anderson’s faculty. They look at above-grade math and writing skills. No interview.

Quote Originally Posted by smconde View Post
    It’s a proprietary test designed (I think) by Anderson’s faculty. They look at above-grade math and writing skills. No interview.
    My child tested for Anderson last year. He said the math wasn't terribly difficult, but a few of the questions tested concepts not yet introduced in the 5th grade general-ed curriculum, such as the Pythagorean theorum. I assume non-ICT kids who are accepted at Anderson for 6th grade are either coming from accelerated G&T programs, or their parents pay for private tutoring.

My son found the math part of the Anderson admissions test straightforward, but he’d been doing above grade math (with RSM) for a few years by the time he took the test. He’s just started 6th grade at Anderson, and though he still finds the math easy enough, he said he wouldn’t be able to keep up based on what he learned in his regular 5th grade class. Also, I know of one child at my son’s previous (elementary) school who’s always been a straight A student, and she said that 25-30% of the math questions in the Anderson test were on topics she had never encountered before. We didn’t do private tutoring or come from a G&T program, but we did do accelerated math in a group class setting for a couple of years previous to the Anderson test (though not specifically for test prep purposes).

Quote Originally Posted by MBNar View Post
    My child tested for Anderson last year. He said the math wasn't terribly difficult, but a few of the questions tested concepts not yet introduced in the 5th grade general-ed curriculum, such as the Pythagorean theorum. I assume non-ICT kids who are accepted at Anderson for 6th grade are either coming from accelerated G&T programs, or their parents pay for private tutoring.
    Private tutoring for middle school admissions ?

Does attendance ( as long as it is above 90%) really play an important role in admissions? Does the ELA test include essay writing or mostly objective multiple-choice?
    Last edited by QueensMom; 11-28-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Quick question - and this does not only relate to Anderson.
    My daughter's school doesn't grade using 1-2-3-4, they give two digit scores, and that cannot be translated into plain 1234s. Also for behavior and overall grades they use E-G-S-N system. I do not know about any other public elementary schools that grade like that. How is it fair to all students to apply to the same schools if they use different grading system?

Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
    Hi,
    Does anybody know if the writing part is a creative essay or a response to texts, like on the state tests? If so, are the texts fiction or non-fiction?
    I know my kid has less than 1% chance of getting in, but want to tell him what to expect.
    Thanks!
    I know this is an old message but still valid Anyway, the testing is generally tight-lipped so only the kids themselves ever get "to know" this as they are the only ones to get to see the test. That said, based on my feedback, it's usually a creative essay. I believe I had heard of their needing to do passage comparisons once in a while too. Other than that, wrt fiction, etc., the sky is the limit. .... and don't forget poetry!

And lastly, as AMS develops the test remember what AMS giveth AMS can taketh away. IOWs, AMS can change the test any time and any way they please, so what's happened in the past although a good indication doesn't guarantee it'll 100% be that way next time. Important is to make sure at least grade level material and fundamentals are *MASTERED* (in at least Math and ELA). But: the test goes beyond grade level.

BTW, my experience is that most kids need tons more observation, feedback and criticism in their writing. I'm not just saying this about trying for the Anderson exam, but some of the other specialized middle school exams, and in their actual day to day writing as well. Otherwise well adapted kids are very often not experienced in this aspect of things.

In fact, this weekend I did a "walk & talk" YouTube video about this very topic (same channel name as my id here). This was based on details of what the problems are, how to fix them, strategies, etc. based on actually working with kids on such passages. I think it's a topic worthy of exploration and continued attention that's doesn't seem to be be given such in the schools themselves. I keep feeling that if I could just visit some PTA meetings throughout the city and provide this as an info session to families it would be such a plus.
    Last edited by GregsTutoringNYC; 11-29-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)