+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    This is completely off topic, but as a student who took the SHSAT a month ago, I have a question regarding where the test became easier, harder or it simply was at the same level for the previously administered SHSAT tests.

Thank you
    It's a moving target recently. For one thing, there is no "the SHSAT" as more than one test is claimed to be used. Therefore different students can get a feeling that a test was easier or harder and furthermore there is even the actuality that it was easier or harder. In the same year.

That said, IMO, the SHSAT has been watered down as the years have gone by, and purposely so. For one thing it is now supposed to match the curriculum only lending to vacuousness. For another, the grammar part was added, and even that got revised in a few ways since. Some questions themselves say in the math section were give-a-ways. And so on. And IMO became political maneuvers and motivated questions in what should be academic motivated ones. I'm not sure whether this is what you're asking or not though.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

If I get any of the field questions correct will I receive any points because then the idea of field questions is dumb. That means I spent valuable time on questions in October that wouldn't even count, where I could've been working on questions that could actually help boost my score. And these field questions should count because that explains that the student is exceeding standards! Also, what will the DOE do about the difficulty difference between the tests on Saturday and Sunday? BEcause the test on Sunday was personally difficult, and people say that the Saturday test was not challening and the Sunday test was much harder.

You get no points for answering the field questions correctly. For all we know they may not even have correct answers, they're field questions. The perhaps unfortunate news is that all the standardized tests you've taken thus far have also had field questions in them. That's why it's important to 1) know they exist and 2) know how to pace yourself in a test especially one where "wrong answers don't count against you" (even on the non-field questions). Just move on.

Field questions don't mean you're exceeding standards. They do mean you could be spending time on them when other questions should be requiring your attention. Tred cautiously.

Re the difficulty between the Sat and Sun tests, actually there is even more variation than that. In any event, a curve is applied across all tests in order to metabolize things. No curve is perfect but it is what it is. Notwithstanding that what is hard for one person isn't for another, and ditto for what is easy. Again is what it is. This is so even if there was just one test across all times and days. In any event, generally I don't feel a consensus about the variations was revealed much.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)