+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostentatious View Post
    I was just wondering if I might be accepted into Townsend Harris with these following grades:

Honors Mathematics - 98
    Honors ELA - 97
    Honors Spanish - 97
    Honors Science (We take the 8th grade syllabus and state test in 7th grade) - 95
    Honors Social Studies - 95
    Art - 96
    PE- 98
    Overall - 96.57
    State Math Test: 4.4 (4)
    State ELA Test: 4.17 (4)
    State Science Test: 99 (4)
    They look at not just your grades, but also you attendance and punctuality. (7th grade gpa, 7th grade state exam and attendance and punctuality perfections).

No one really know exactly how they admit using the criteria, but it's usually guarantee that they take the TOP of the TOP first before consider other borderline TOPs. Due to the shear amount of student picking that student (I think it was like 7k to 8k students who pick that as top choice last year but only has 300 seats), this means they will take 98 or above gpa AND near perfect state exams score AND perfect attendence and punctuality first because those are rare, over other tops students who gets say 95 gpa. Those who gets 95 gpa and excellent state states and good attendance are consider "borderline tops", because there are SO MANY students who pick that as top choice has similar 95 gpa stats. It's these borderline tops where I believe their admission criteria also depends on your geographic location (although they don't say)

I did a little bit of research and little bit of survey of different students from different locations in Queens and read a book about top high schools where they did talked about townsend harris (I forgot which one) and came to my own following conclusion and my own theory. Again, they accept the top of the top first. Then when it comes to "borderline tops" students which is like 95 or 96 gpa etc, they look at where they are located or which high school they go to. These matter because they want to have a diverse representation of Queens and even 5 boroughs. So that means if you live in a location or town or HS where all students are not that competitive and you with your 96 gpa in 7th grade stood out way among them and you are the only one in that location where 96 is the highest gpa and there are no other that had been admit to thhs in that year, then you might have a much HIGHER chance of admittance than say someone in another location where all students are competitive and there are plenty of students with 96 to 97 gpa and where THHS has already accepted a few in that competitive location. This is one way for them to admit those 'borderline tops'. There might be another subjective criteria for these borderline tops. Again it's borderline tops that I'm suspecting because there are many who got 96 gpas and didn't get in. I live in the bayside/flushing area and all my kid's friends, 9 in that hs that got in are in top honor class and had > 98 gpa, at least one perfect score on the state exam and no more than 2 absences (these are students who consistently rank in the top 10 in each marking period in terms of gpa). Most also got into stuyvesant too (15 got into stuy, and 9 got into THHS), but only 2 or 3 are going to THHS and the rest stuy. The ones who had 97 gpa didn't get admitted to THHS and almost the entire school pick THHS as the top choice for non-specialized HS. Now I also know someone in Jamaica with 97 ish gpa but missed one full week of school and still got in. This is not to say which area is better, but to show you the sheer amount of competition among students for those Townsend Harris HS seats (my kids friends are weirdly competitive.. someone got a 93 on a regent exam and went to retake it again to get higher when it's only 8th grade)

Again it's only my conclusion/theory, not an exact thing because only they will know exact criteria for 'borderline tops' (just like how college admission admits one student but not another when they both have the same gpa, but one has something unique about him/her but we don't know what it was). So you can take my comment with a grain of salt =). But I posted here because you posted again about PE and art so seems like you are eager for an answer. (I seriously don't know if they look at PE and art.. but I'm sure they look at 7th grade over gpa, weighted). Hope this helps.

I live in Flushing, Queens so will this have a higher chance of getting accepted? For 7th grade, I had excellent punctuality and attendance. I had 0 lates and 0 absences. In my understanding, THHS won't examine the 8th grade science state test that I took in 7th grade? Would it matter whether you were in an accelerated stream (SP/ Honors)? My school did have rigorous coursework. They gave regents papers for Social Studies tests while the regular classes took basic Social Studies tests. As I had said before, I took the 8th grade syllabus in the 7th grade. Will all this be taken into account?

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Ostentatious; 09-04-2019 at 08:08 AM.

I can't say whether there is a higher chance or not because I'm still consider and outsider looking into THHS admission criteria. But flushing has one of the most competitive student bodies in the whole Queens area. Honors classes does help. But you also have to remember that all other students are doing the same. In fact those 9 students in my kid's HS who got in are also all in the top honor classes along with intensive homeworks. My kid just got back from thhs first day and confirmed to me that a lot of incoming freshmen there was either valedictorian or saludictorian of their middle school. As for regents thing, I'm confused about your statement of regents test. From what my kid told me, if you take the official regent test in 7th grade, no HS will accept that as HS credit. But official regent tests taken in 8th grade counts towards your high school credit and those will determine what classes you take in HS.

I'm confused by both your statements about Regents tests. There is your regents test score and your class. In some schools they want a "qualifying score" for both. For instance, if you got say 80 on the Regents in middle school even in say Grade 8, THHS will have you take the class over. But it you got say a 97 on the Regents they won't. Your grade in a class which has a Regents is not necessarily associated with the class. So technically you could get say an 85 on a regents but 75 in the class. Most schools would still have you take the class over.

Also, generally speaking, even though schools might pressure against it, you can retake any regents you want no matter your score. In some cases that would be senseless though.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    I'm confused by both your statements about Regents tests. There is your regents test score and your class. In some schools they want a "qualifying score" for both. For instance, if you got say 80 on the Regents in middle school even in say Grade 8, THHS will have you take the class over. But it you got say a 97 on the Regents they won't. Your grade in a class which has a Regents is not necessarily associated with the class. So technically you could get say an 85 on a regents but 75 in the class. Most schools would still have you take the class over.

Also, generally speaking, even though schools might pressure against it, you can retake any regents you want no matter your score. In some cases that would be senseless though.
    Thanks for clearing that up as I didn't know THHS has a qualifying score of 80 on the official regents test. (I just know stuyvesant has a qualifying score of I think 90 in certain subject your 8th grade in order to take some other AP classes in Stuy). But if you take the regents test in 7th grade and get say 95% on the regent exam (and 95% in the class) do you know if that count for 9th grade in the future? My kid told me that only 8th grade regent test can count toward 9th grade... but if you take it in 7th grade they don't count??.

And yes, talking about senseless of taking the regent exam again.. my kid's friend got a 93 on a science regents test in 8th grade, but she end up wanting to retak it in August just to get a higher score.. which I told my kid there is no point as she is going to Stuyvesant anyways. So maybe her friend's knows something more in details which I don't.

I only gave the 80 at THHS as an example. That actual Regents score needs to be 85, or at least that used to be the score.

Re schools such as Stuy, when you go to their orientation for accepted students, you can take a bunch of placement tests, and that score combo'd with other scores/etc will qualify you for one class or another. This is for incoming students I'm talking about. And yes, they also have other deets for AP classes.

I never heard about such a rule for Grade 7 classes. An accelerated kid is an accelerated kid, and why put them though that unless the school in question has a poor school admin and/or a poor class scheduling setup (and many do). As an example wrt Grade 7, my daughter took a number of Regents in middle school, and Tech accepted two of them from Grade 7.

Retaking a 93 science Regents in August could be bc a school may have say a 95 threshhold on it. Otherwise, for most people doing that would be silly. That said, I've nothing against it if somebody is not being forced to do it, as I personally find learning and testing in particular fun (it's like a puzzle to me).
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

Can I Get In?
    7th Grade I Had a 94.8 Overall Average
    Math State Test - 4.5
    ELA State Test - 4.26
    6 Absences and 14 Latenesses
    Do I have a chance of getting in?
    I also live in Queens, NY and am very close to THHS

Do you think I could get in:
    Overall:91%
    Math state test:4
    Ela State test:4
    Im also currently in honors and taking living environment, algebra 1, and U.S. History
    I live some what close

RJ those latenesses might haunt you.

ss, your state tests are each exactly 4.0?

GregsTutoringNYC

Math:4.12
    ELA:4.17

I also have less than 10 absences and about 3 or 4 latenesses