+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

9th grade version of SHSAT

Hi,
    I learned that students in the ninth grade can take a ninth grade version of SHSAT to compete for limited admission seats that may become available in any of the specialized high schools.

Is the number of the available seats for each HS made public?
    Regarding application process: do you apply to only a particular HS (ex. Brooklyn Tech and compete for the seats available at BT only) or is the same process as in 8th grade (meaning applying to all HSs and getting an offer based on score and # seats)

Any information that you can share about the 9th grade test it would be really useful. Mock exams, format, guidelines, websites, how did you prepare, etc

Thank you.

I got into Brooklyn Latin this year. My test form was extremely hard with English but the hard work paid off.
    Every year, less than 50-60 Students get a seat in the Schools for 9th Grade. Please keep this in mind because this year, I got into a school, one of the lucky 60 people, OUT OF MORE THAN 3,000. Please, work hard.
    What to study?
    Look at the SHSAT Handbook the DOE gives and there are sample math problems for 9th Grade.
    Review: Algebra 1, Some Trig Functions, Geometry
    English: Grammar, Readings are similar to SAT/ACT readings and read more to get better comprehension and to gain better understanding of the book and vocabulary. English is very tricky depending on your form.

The form I got was extremely easy, scored a 595 and landed at Bronx science.
    But sanjar9001 is right about the topics lol

Quote Originally Posted by A.S.R.Y.E View Post
    Were there any questions were a shape was inscribed in a circle and you had to find the perimeter, diameter (you get my point) or any question similar to that on the 9th grade SHSAT? If so, please tell me how to solve those types of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by A.S.R.Y.E View Post
    did u do any prep if so what was it

Hi there,
    This is a post for everyone taking the 9th grade SHSAT. For those that didn't making it, or are setting higher goals, don't be discouraged about the intensity of the 9th grade exam. That said, it's quite possible to improve your score with adequate preparation within these months; however, don't waste your time using schoolboards. That'll not improve your score. Having strong foundational reading/math skills is required- can't stress it enough! I know a few students who were accepted to Stuy & BX Science as sophomores, so I can relate from what I have heard from them. As for myself, I am a freshman who will attending Bronx Science in the fall
    Anyways: The 9th grade SHSAT is heavy in math. Expect advanced algebra, geometry (all subtopics) , conditional probability, logic-type word problems. Approx. 3/4 of the math portion will be med. range difficult, but 1/4 will be difficult; you'll have to get those right to earn one of the coveted seats to Stuy.
    STUDY SAT/PSAT/MATH A (LEVEL 1) AND REGENTS (ALGEBRA & GEO.)
    To turn the math section into a breeze, practice AMC 8/10/11 question sets until those become easy.
    Practice SAT/PSAT Grammar and Reading. (Reading is more of a foundational skill, so its will vary. Strong critical reading skills are required to ace the reading section)***The reading will be more difficult***
    Lastly, go into test feeling absolutely calm. I can't stress this enough. Take it like a class test; treat it seriously, but don't make it a big deal at all. That'll tremendously either hurt or improve your score, so take practice tests to develop this mindset. GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by SHSAT2017; 06-03-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SHSAT2017 View Post
    Hi there,
    This is a post for everyone. For those that didn't making it, or are setting higher goals, don't be discouraged about the intensity of the 9th grade exam. One thing I want to make clear is that the SHSAT is a measure of reading and math skills.
    Would you mind giving us tips studying and taking the test?

Tips are above.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Just a word of advice: If you really want to get in, then you should go to Bobby Tariq Learning Center. Most 9th graders that go there get in. Don't waste your time and start studying. Time's running! One more thing: Actually two 9th graders whofailed to get accepted anywhere in 8th grade got offers from Stuy, another one to Bronx Science. A lot of Brooklyn Tech and Latin.
    Last edited by SHSAT2017; 06-03-2018 at 12:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast