+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Lottery?!

Quote Originally Posted by nycschoolhelp View Post
    Prek is a citywide lottery process and there are not enough seats for families in the zone, but it is completely different from the kindergarten application and placement process.

I am in the process of relocating to NYC in order to obtain services for my 2 1/2 year old son who has an autism spectrum disorder. Does this lottery apply to children receiving special education services, because that is a game changer. I've been narrowing in on schools that offer the NEST program, and elementary schools with noteworthy special education listed, ans these are the areas that we're looking to live. Will our son not be guaranteed to attend the school that we are zoned for?
    Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

Brooklyn Parents Would Love Your Advice!

Hi, I am reviving this thread as we are also in the process of moving to NY from France.

Two of the schools that I have been in contact with are PS 29 and PS 58. Do any of you have children in the dual language program at PS 58? Even though my daughter has been in a bilingual school for the past 5 years, I am a bit worried about how well she will get along. She really struggles with French. I understand there is a proficiency test that must be passed to be admitted.

My fear is what do you do if you establish residency in a zone to get into a school and then they don't have space for you? How far away could your child be placed outside of your zone?

Would love to hear from parents who have gone through this previously, and/or have your feedback if your kids are in once of these schools!

Thank you!

The DoE will attempt to place you near by. Lately, PS 58 is one of the few schools that may not have seats available on the upper grades either in Dual Language or gen ed. That is not common. Only two classrooms on a grade at PS 58 are Dual Language classrooms. You can keep in contact with the school before you move into the zone, to determine if you are going to have trouble gaining access to that grade. You may not know the status of your placement in Dual Language, but you should have a pretty good idea of the likelihood of gaining a seat in the school.
    ask me about brooklyn schools
    joyce szuflita http://www.nycschoolhelp.com/