+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kristinayn View Post
    I would add PS130 14 seats, no siblings.
    I hear the classes are not diverse. Do you know how diverse are G&T class? Do you have any numbers?

I think the most helpful information would be for any parents who applied for a 1st grade spot last year to share their experiences on offers, waitlist offers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnomad View Post
    Here is the info I gathered. Since we're in D2 mid-manhattan, I couldn't attend many tours even though they were all interesting to see in one way or another.

Some of the numbers, if they appear small, are because they have siblings spots already deducted. Sometimes this information was not available. Feel free to add information if you have more details.

Citywide:
    TAG 14
    NEST 5
    Q300 2-4
    Anderson 0

D2
    PS198 7
    LL 10
    PS 11 10-14
    PS 33 10-14

Observation on 1st grade class sizes: There does not appear to be a DOE policy for 1st grade class size at G&T programs. This is the major contributor to the number of available spots. For the citywide, they could add 10-20 if they all went to 32 like they are doing at TAG. All the D2 program seem to have 32/class and are adding 7 per/class except for LL which is adding 6/year. Has this topic been raised in the past?

Request for addition insight: Since there are so many fewer 1st grade spots the chances of being on the waitlist is much higher than K. If there are some of you out there who have been through it (even if you didn't ultimately get a spot), please share your experience. For example, is there a difference between the process for 1st grade vs K? When and how do you find out your waitlist #? If you don't accept an offer do you remain on the waitlists for the rest? How do they contact you and how much time do you have to decide?

Nest has plans to go upto 29 for Grade 1. However, they can go upto 32 seats for Grade 1 . Do anyone know if they plan to add 12 (3 seats *4 class ) more seats?
    I am planning to write to DOE and Nest and inquire about this.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnomad View Post
    Here is the info I gathered. Since we're in D2 mid-manhattan, I couldn't attend many tours even though they were all interesting to see in one way or another.

Some of the numbers, if they appear small, are because they have siblings spots already deducted. Sometimes this information was not available. Feel free to add information if you have more details.

Citywide:
    TAG 14
    NEST 5
    Q300 2-4
    Anderson 0

D2
    PS198 7
    LL 10
    PS 11 10-14
    PS 33 10-14

Observation on 1st grade class sizes: There does not appear to be a DOE policy for 1st grade class size at G&T programs. This is the major contributor to the number of available spots. For the citywide, they could add 10-20 if they all went to 32 like they are doing at TAG. All the D2 program seem to have 32/class and are adding 7 per/class except for LL which is adding 6/year. Has this topic been raised in the past?

Request for addition insight: Since there are so many fewer 1st grade spots the chances of being on the waitlist is much higher than K. If there are some of you out there who have been through it (even if you didn't ultimately get a spot), please share your experience. For example, is there a difference between the process for 1st grade vs K? When and how do you find out your waitlist #? If you don't accept an offer do you remain on the waitlists for the rest? How do they contact you and how much time do you have to decide?

Yes. It would be great to learn from some parents about the waitlist process for Grade 1. With 98 score and no siblings, i feel we are going to have a long summer

The open house was great. The G&T class is much more diverse than the general population. I don't have numbers. The curriculum and the principal are impressive. The test scores throughout the whole school are high, not just G&T. The art program is extremely impressive. The school is in a funky neighborhood on the border of CT and Little Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by parentingfun View Post
    I hear the classes are not diverse. Do you know how diverse are G&T class? Do you have any numbers?
    The open house was great. The G&T class is much more diverse than the general population. I don't have numbers. The curriculum and the principal are impressive. The test scores throughout the whole school are high, not just G&T. The art program is extremely impressive. The school is in a funky neighborhood on the border of CT and Little Italy. My son got off the waitlist last year with a 96 at 130 and 33 and we turned both down. I regret turning down 130.

Thanks everyone for the inputs.

Nest can go upto 32 seats for Grade 1(their current plan is to add to 29) . Do anyone know if they plan to add 12 (3 seats *4 class ) more seats?

FRL reservations - (From DOE website)
    PS 11 - 30% for K and Grade 1
    PS 77 - 12% for K
    Tag - 40% for K
    BSi - 40% for K
    Does anyone know FRL % for grade 1? the website didnt give out any info for Grade 1.
    This will significantly reduce the D2 seats
    D2 Grade 1
    PS198 7
    LL 10
    PS 11 10-14
    PS 33 10-14
    PS 130 10-14
    Same for Anderson re class size (capping at 29). It would be nice if both NEST and Anderson expand the class size in 1st to 3rd especially given the broader sibling policy... I think the school decides how big they want the classes to be... I know most district programs max out at 32...

Quote Originally Posted by kristinayn View Post
    The open house was great. The G&T class is much more diverse than the general population. I don't have numbers. The curriculum and the principal are impressive. The test scores throughout the whole school are high, not just G&T. The art program is extremely impressive. The school is in a funky neighborhood on the border of CT and Little Italy. My son got off the waitlist last year with a 96 at 130 and 33 and we turned both down. I regret turning down 130.
    Yes. Thats good to know. Thanks for sharing some great insights. That's one which we are really keen on along with PS 33 and PS 11.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by D2GandT View Post
    Same for Anderson re class size (capping at 29). It would be nice if both NEST and Anderson expand the class size in 1st to 3rd especially given the broader sibling policy... I think the school decides how big they want the classes to be... I know most district programs max out at 32...
    Didnt knew about Anderson. Thanks!
    I think its worth writing to Anderson and Nest about the Grade 1 seats. I am definitely going to write to both.

Yes. Thats good to know. Thanks for sharing some great insights. That's one which we are really keen on along with PS 33 and PS 11.
    Good luck!
    I also know of 1 kid who got off the waitlist at PS11 last year with a 98, so you are in the ball park. Good luck!