+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kristinayn View Post
    I also know of 1 kid who got off the waitlist at PS11 last year with a 98, so you are in the ball park. Good luck!
    That's good to know. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by kristinayn View Post
    I would add PS130 14 seats, no siblings.
    The PS130 number seems high? There's only 1 G&T class and they have 25 kids in K... so there will be 7 seats available for 1st grade and may be a couple more if there's any attrition.

Quote Originally Posted by D2GandT View Post
    I think at the open house, Anderson said there are 11 siblings eligible for 1st grade. Not sure if they actually have enough spots even to just accommodate the siblings.
    I heard that too, several siblings on the waiting list. Basically, no chance for non-siblings for grade 1 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnomad View Post
    TAG - 14? out of 14
    NEST - 5 out of 16
    Q300 - 2-4 out of 10-12
    Anderson - 0 out of 6?
    I doubt TAG is such an outlier; more likely the sibling situation would be similar to other citywides, i.e. 3-4 spots left.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdweller View Post
    I heard that too, several siblings on the waiting list. Basically, no chance for non-siblings for grade 1 this year.
    Wondering if there's any chance Anderson and Nest will expand the class size beyond 29... I asked the DOE and was told the schools determine their own class sizes... This new sibling policy really is hurting non-siblings!

Quote Originally Posted by parentingfun View Post
    Nest has plans to go upto 29 for Grade 1. However, they can go upto 32 seats for Grade 1 . Do anyone know if they plan to add 12 (3 seats *4 class ) more seats?
    I am planning to write to DOE and Nest and inquire about this.
    That was one of my original observations/questions but I don't think they plan to. I've never written the DOE but maybe we should especially with the change in sibling policy. Who does one write to at DOE besides Richard Carranza? Does someone respond?

Quote Originally Posted by nycnomad View Post
    That was one of my original observations/questions but I don't think they plan to. I've never written the DOE but maybe we should especially with the change in sibling policy. Who does one write to at DOE besides Richard Carranza? Does someone respond?
    You should absolutely write to the DOE. The address is ESEnrollment@schools.nyc.gov. I emailed them about the sibling policy and got a response that it is a broader policy beyond G&T to keep siblings at the same a school. It’s pretty clear that the limited G&T seats is not their focus. I asked about adding G&T seats and was told that “we have to see whether the new chancellor is interested in expanding G&T seats”. Also said NEST and Anderson make own decision to limit class size to be 29 instead of max of 32.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdweller View Post
    I doubt TAG is such an outlier; more likely the sibling situation would be similar to other citywides, i.e. 3-4 spots left.
    Nope, at the TAG open house they said 14 seats open for non-siblings.

There may be more seats at Nest. 3 kids in my child are leaving the school, 2 going private and 1 moving out of the city. And I don’t think the school knows those numbers yet. What the gave out at the tours are the increase from 25 to 29 x 4 classes. So toad seats 16, but the are not counting the families leaving.

Is that 3 kids just in your class of 25 or the entire grade of 100? Other than the increased class size from K-1, attrition is the only way for spots to be created. The private school vs citywide is a whole other discussion but I imagine a number each year who were contemplating private school for K and got lucky with the lottery decided to give public school a chance before reailzing it's not for them. When are private school admission decisions made?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast