+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    5 out of 16 spots reserved for siblings was the exact same number NEST reported last year for first; at last year's open house, they said they expected 11 non-sibling spots. I believe it was reported here in last year's threads. Given that, it would appear that the change in sibling policy had no effect on the number of first grade non-sibling spots, as reported at the open house. That said, more spots tend to open up over the summer, and after the start of the school year, so that number can change.

Last year at the open house, I believe they said that there might only be one 2d grade spot and no 3rd grade.

Also worth noting that the NEST parent coordinator is also new (started just a couple months ago), and might not be aware about the spots that open up. It's still worth applying.
    At the NEST open house, we were told there would be 5 non-sibling spots for 1st grade as 11 are taken by siblings. So the numbers are exactly reverse of what is in your post (5 siblings and 11 non-siblings)!

Quote Originally Posted by D2GandT View Post
    At the NEST open house, we were told there would be 5 non-sibling spots for 1st grade as 11 are taken by siblings. So the numbers are exactly reverse of what is in your post (5 siblings and 11 non-siblings)!
    People seem to have posted about it both ways--it doesn't sound to me as if everyone has the same understanding. The post I was responding to seemed to say that 5 of 16 were reserved for siblings, not the other way around.

In any case, the big problem is that there just aren't enough spots, period. Whether there are or arent siblings, that's only a difference of a few spots, whereas we need whole school's worth of spots.

Quote Originally Posted by InwoodParent View Post
    People seem to have posted about it both ways--it doesn't sound to me as if everyone has the same understanding. The post I was responding to seemed to say that 5 of 16 were reserved for siblings, not the other way around.

In any case, the big problem is that there just aren't enough spots, period. Whether there are or arent siblings, that's only a difference of a few spots, whereas we need whole school's worth of spots.
    The 5 non-sibling seats is the official number from NEST... The other post was saying 5-6 siblings was historically the number but this year is the other way around. Unfortunately there just aren't enough spots to begin with, even before the sibling policy change. And the sibling policy change didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by D2GandT View Post
    The 5 non-sibling seats is the official number from NEST... The other post was saying 5-6 siblings was historically the number but this year is the other way around. Unfortunately there just aren't enough spots to begin with, even before the sibling policy change. And the sibling policy change didn't help.
    That's right @D2GantT it is the other way around this year and there are only 5 non-sibling spots at NEST rather than the 11 historically. However, I'd be surprised if there was more than a few more sibling spots that were taken due to the change in sibiling policy since there would have to be a pretty huge age gap for a sibling to make it work.

The letters have been uploaded. You will have to login to your account to view the letter. Good Luck!

Parent of 98 scorer for entering into Grade 1.
    Any clue on how does the waiting list moves for schools where you are waitlisted in late 20s and late 30s?

I'm curious also since we got our last choice D2 school and will be looking at the waitlist. Some of these are single digits like for NEST and PS11 while others low to double digits like LL and TAG or triple digits for Anderson. Statistically LL TAG and Anderson are not possible but now wondering how little or much the waitlists move for 1st grade since there are a lot fewer spots to begin with.

Based on our results though I can say that for 1st grade non sibs only 99% were accepted at PS 11 and PS 198.

Just sharing some information from last year that might be helpful. Our daughter retested in kindergarten (from a gen ed program) last year and got a 99 - she initially got into PS11, and was within the top 5 on the waitlist at LL and Anderson. Within two weeks (a week after we registered her at PS 11) she got into LL off the waitlist. A few days after that, a friend's daughter, who had scored a 98, got into PS 11, also for first grade, off the waitlist (not our spot because we hadn't accepted yet). Our friend's kid was number 17 or something on LL's waitlist and they never got to her on the waitlist - although I know that a few more kids got in off the waitlist after our daughter. That said, the FRL programs at PS11 and LL this year were not in place last year, so I am not sure how that affects chances for first grade this year. Good luck to everyone - waitlists do move, but my anecdotal sense is that you have to be within the top 10 to have a realistic shot.

Thanks for the insights into the waitlist process. So as i read, chances of Lower Lab are very slim if your waitlist # is in late 30s.
    I hear pretty much similar reviews from parents in PS 11 and PS 33. Also, the PTA and after school activities are pretty much same at both the school. Any parents at these schools may want to share some more information to help pick between these schools.

Ps33 is a sinking ship, I would scratch that off your list

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast