+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I couldn't disagree more Momx2. PS 33 has outstanding teachers and is academically rigorous. The parent community is exceptionally strong and tight knit.

Can you elaborate? Are you a parent at PS33?
    We just got an offer at PS33 and are planning on registering this week. We have a few friends with kids there and they all love it- and their kids are doing amazing. On the tour, PS33 seemed stronger academically than other schools we toured, and we really liked the vibe of the school overall. Also, we are really into chess and we are interested on becoming part of the PS33 chess team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Momx2 View Post
    Ps33 is a sinking ship, I would scratch that off your list

We are at ps33. The teachers are AMAZING! PTA funds so many enrichments for kids. On top of that, there are lots and lots of events and activities throughout the year making it fun and fulfilling for all kids. The children are getting an exceptional education for a public school. The playground is being renovated so come September the children will have a brand new playground to enjoy. Middle school exmissions are excellent (Middle Lab, Clinton Writers, Salk, NEST and East Side Middle).

Quote Originally Posted by Nycmom2 View Post
    We are at ps33. The teachers are AMAZING! PTA funds so many enrichments for kids. On top of that, there are lots and lots of events and activities throughout the year making it fun and fulfilling for all kids. The children are getting an exceptional education for a public school. The playground is being renovated so come September the children will have a brand new playground to enjoy. Middle school exmissions are excellent (Middle Lab, Clinton Writers, Salk, NEST and East Side Middle).
    This is great to hear! We are really looking forward to sending our child to PS33. Can I PM you to ask some questions?

Quote Originally Posted by GATPARENT View Post
    This is great to hear! We are really looking forward to sending our child to PS33. Can I PM you to ask some questions?
    Sure. I don't mind. But if you post on the forum, you might get more information from different parents.

Sure. I don't mind. But if you post on the forum, you might get more information from different parents.
    I have little doubt about PS33's in regards to academic achievement. However, could a parent with a child currently at PS33 address what concrete steps the school leadership and community are taking to improve socio-emotional learning and the issues that have arisen in regards to discord between g&t/gen-ed students and school safety, e.g. the change.org campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by nycnomad View Post
    I have little doubt about PS33's in regards to academic achievement. However, could a parent with a child currently at PS33 address what concrete steps the school leadership and community are taking to improve socio-emotional learning and the issues that have arisen in regards to discord between g&t/gen-ed students and school safety, e.g. the change.org campaign?
    One of the current parents had a post mentioning about the Change.org petition. Here was the post
    http://www.theschoolboards.com/showt...highlight=PS33

Quote Originally Posted by nycnomad View Post
    Several teachers have explained that it is their goal to incorporate more social emotional learning into the curriculum. There were social emotional learning workshops over the school year but parent attendance could have been better. The workshops were excellent by providing strategies and online resources to help both the parents and children. The last speaker invited to the school was one of the moms who lost her child in the Sandy Hook incident. She speaks all over the country and also did a TED talk.

As far as I know, bullying is addressed almost immediately by teachers and administrators. Bullying is not tolerated. Parents should report incidents, particularly if you know more than one child has been hurt by the same child. I wouldn't say friction is between gen ed vs G&T. I have heard more incidents amongst the G&T population. The teachers and administrators are well aware of the ongoings of repeat offenders and keeps an watchful eye and adds more adult supervision where possible. Clear guidelines are set so both the parents and child get the communication and message. Some grades have perfectly sweet kids and some have those one or two kids with behavioral issues. Ultimately, the responsibility lies with the parents to teach their kids right from wrong. Wrongful behavior of one child can disturb and impact the entire class so it is not overlooked by the school/administrators. Incidents reported by parents will get logged and be on the record. Even though bullying can occur in every class, grade or school, you have to be vigilant, know your child and advocate on his or her behalf immediately. Talk to the teachers, parent coordinators, assistant principal and principal.

Which school had the bullying issue come up? PS33 or PS11?

Several teachers have explained that it is their goal to incorporate more social emotional learning into the curriculum. There were social emotional learning workshops over the school year but parent attendance could have been better. The workshops were excellent by providing strategies and online resources to help both the parents and children. The last speaker invited to the school was one of the moms who lost her child in the Sandy Hook incident. She speaks all over the country and also did a TED talk.

As far as I know, bullying is addressed almost immediately by teachers and administrators. Bullying is not tolerated. Parents should report incidents, particularly if you know more than one child has been hurt by the same child. I wouldn't say friction is between gen ed vs G&T. I have heard more incidents amongst the G&T population. The teachers and administrators are well aware of the ongoings of repeat offenders and keeps an watchful eye and adds more adult supervision where possible. Clear guidelines are set so both the parents and child get the communication and message. Some grades have perfectly sweet kids and some have those one or two kids with behavioral issues. Ultimately, the responsibility lies with the parents to teach their kids right from wrong. Wrongful behavior of one child can disturb and impact the entire class so it is not overlooked by the school/administrators. Incidents reported by parents will get logged and be on the record. Even though bullying can occur in every class, grade or school, you have to be vigilant, know your child and advocate on his or her behalf immediately. Talk to the teachers, parent coordinators, assistant principal and principal.
    Thanks nycmom2. That seems like a reasonable response and plan and I hope there is a plan to also track progress going forward. It's true that bullying can potentially happen at any school and what's most important is what schools (including staff and parents) do to prevent it and to stop the behavior when and if it manifests. Above academics and activities what all parents desire is a safe environment for their children.