+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

G&T score of 98 for Grade 1

Looking for parents to share their past experience during the school tours.
    Approximately how many new students are admitted to Grade 1 for citywide and district wide NYC G&T schools?
    My kid scored 98 for grade 1 and looking for chances of him getting into the District 2 schools.
    Last edited by parentingfun; 04-19-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parentingfun View Post
    Approximately how many new students are admitted to Grade 1 for citywide and district wide NYC G&T schools?
    My son scored 98 for grade 1 and looking for chances of him getting into the District 2 schools.
    D2 is tough. Citywides are out. There are very few spots and if there are any at all they go to siblings or non-siblings 99. Just as difficult are D2 schools Lower lab and is the most competitive outside the CWs and don't go below 99 either. PS11 is also competitive, but I have heard of 1 person last year getting a waitlist spot for a 98 )but I believe this was for K). Your best bet are PS33 or PS130, both great schools!

Quote Originally Posted by parentingfun View Post
    My son scored 98 for grade 1 and looking for chances of him getting into the District 2 schools.
    Citywide is next to impossible but for district wide, there is a possibility in non-district school

Here is the info I gathered. Since we're in D2 mid-manhattan, I couldn't attend many tours even though they were all interesting to see in one way or another.

Some of the numbers, if they appear small, are because they have siblings spots already deducted. Sometimes this information was not available. Feel free to add information if you have more details.

Citywide:
    TAG 14
    NEST 5
    Q300 2-4
    Anderson 0

D2
    PS198 7
    LL 10
    PS 11 10-14
    PS 33 10-14

Observation on 1st grade class sizes: There does not appear to be a DOE policy for 1st grade class size at G&T programs. This is the major contributor to the number of available spots. For the citywide, they could add 10-20 if they all went to 32 like they are doing at TAG. All the D2 program seem to have 32/class and are adding 7 per/class except for LL which is adding 6/year. Has this topic been raised in the past?

Request for addition insight: Since there are so many fewer 1st grade spots the chances of being on the waitlist is much higher than K. If there are some of you out there who have been through it (even if you didn't ultimately get a spot), please share your experience. For example, is there a difference between the process for 1st grade vs K? When and how do you find out your waitlist #? If you don't accept an offer do you remain on the waitlists for the rest? How do they contact you and how much time do you have to decide?

Quote Originally Posted by nycnomad View Post
    Citywide:
    TAG 14
    NEST 5
    Q300 2-4
    Anderson 0
    Hi nycnomad -- the number for TAG looks a bit better than the others -- where is that info coming from?

It was from the tour.

I mentioned some numbers were not known. TAG didn't discuss siblings but said that for K there were historically usually less than 5 spots taken by siblings which was a much smaller proportion than at other schools. Here's another way to look at it.

School name - (# spots left after accounting for sibllngs) out of (# total spots). ? next to numbers that were not available.

TAG - 14? out of 14
    NEST - 5 out of 16
    Q300 - 2-4 out of 10-12
    Anderson - 0 out of 6?

[QUOTE=nycnomad;14878]It was from the tour.

I mentioned some numbers were not known. TAG didn't discuss siblings but said that for K there were historically usually less than 5 spots taken by siblings which was a much smaller proportion than at other schools. Here's another way to look at it.

School name - (# spots left after accounting for sibllngs) out of (# total spots). ? next to numbers that were not available.

TAG - 14? out of 14
    NEST - 5 out of 16
    Q300 - 2-4 out of 10-12
    Anderson - 0 out of 6?[/QUOTE

I think at the open house, Anderson said there are 11 siblings eligible for 1st grade. Not sure if they actually have enough spots even to just accommodate the siblings.

TAG - 14? out of 14
    NEST - 5 out of 16
    Q300 - 2-4 out of 10-12
    Anderson - 0 out of 6?
    I doubt TAG is such an outlier; more likely the sibling situation would be similar to other citywides, i.e. 3-4 spots left.

Citywide:
    TAG 14
    NEST 5
    Q300 2-4
    Anderson 0

At the BSI open house the principal said they had “maybe” 3 seats for first grade.

Here is the info I gathered. Since we're in D2 mid-manhattan, I couldn't attend many tours even though they were all interesting to see in one way or another.

Some of the numbers, if they appear small, are because they have siblings spots already deducted. Sometimes this information was not available. Feel free to add information if you have more details.

Citywide:
    TAG 14
    NEST 5
    Q300 2-4
    Anderson 0

D2
    PS198 7
    LL 10
    PS 11 10-14
    PS 33 10-14

Observation on 1st grade class sizes: There does not appear to be a DOE policy for 1st grade class size at G&T programs. This is the major contributor to the number of available spots. For the citywide, they could add 10-20 if they all went to 32 like they are doing at TAG. All the D2 program seem to have 32/class and are adding 7 per/class except for LL which is adding 6/year. Has this topic been raised in the past?

Request for addition insight: Since there are so many fewer 1st grade spots the chances of being on the waitlist is much higher than K. If there are some of you out there who have been through it (even if you didn't ultimately get a spot), please share your experience. For example, is there a difference between the process for 1st grade vs K? When and how do you find out your waitlist #? If you don't accept an offer do you remain on the waitlists for the rest? How do they contact you and how much time do you have to decide?
    I would add PS130 14 seats, no siblings.