+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

District 13 G&T programs

Does anyone have thoughts or experiences with the District 13 G&T programs: P.S. 9, P.S. 282, P.S. 56? I'm curious how the programs are, and also if there are approx. cutoff scores. My child scored a 96. thanks.

I am signed up for tours, but interested in experiences, opinions, rumors, etc.

No one has thoughts or opinions? I saw reference to "the dreaded P.S. 9" on one of the old results threads, not sure what that means, and seems like people list P.S. 9 more than 282 or 56. Anyone have insights on why? thanks.

Hi! My son went to PS 9 from K-2 to and from 4-5 grades (we moved across country for his 2nd and 3rd grade year). There a lot of GREAT things about PS 9. The school community is wonderful and when my son was there the G&T classes were extremely diverse. Ms. D'Avilar is a great principal and my son's teachers in K and 1st grade were exceptional. The school has been overcrowded in the past few years but that will likely change as the charter school on the top floor is going to move out in the Fall. My one main gripe with the school was the emphasis on test prep in the upper grades. But overall, I would highly recommend PS 9. (Also if you have younger kids, the pre-K program is amazing).

Thank you for this reply! Looking forward to the tour of PS 9 this week.

Can you please let me know your impressions of ps 9 after your tour ?

Thanks

Naomi

Sure. We toured P.S. 9 on Tuesday. They divided us up into grades our children are might be in, so there was a packed room in the Kindergarten classroom and the entire "walk through" was a conversation with the Kindergarten G&T teacher. My personal impression is that she seemed fantastic. She talked about how she approaches her day, and the curriculum, and didn't leave me with any doubt that the kids in that classroom are getting individualized attention and excelling even though there is one teacher and 23 kids. That said, we didn't tour the whole school or hear about much else besides Kindergarten. For those concerned about diversity, I did not get the "extremely diverse" impression mentioned above. Instead, it seemed like the vast majority of the kids are white (based on pictures on the walls, and the kids walking into the school at the end of the tour). I welcome thoughts or impressions from others, especially about the upper grades, or about cutoff scores to get into the school. It seems like a popular program. There was a mention of a possibility of opening up a second G&T classroom, I think they said it was unlikely but a possibility, and out of the school's control.

Tomorrow there are simultaneous tours of P.S. 282 and P.S. 56, the other two district choices. Does anyone have impressions of those? This touring process is so cramped!

Thanks so much, this is very helpful as I did not get a chance to visit the school ! I am planning on going to ps 282 tomorrow and will be happy to write a similar review for you. Let me know if you get any feedback on ps 56 or wind up going to the open house.

Thanks again !!!

I visited 282 yesterday and was very favorably impressed. They are 4 years into integrating a school that was previously heavily segregated and poor performing. Thanks to the new principal who started at that time they have successfully implemented many wonderful programs including a Singapore math based curriculum for math, a research and inquiry program, a Tiny Scientist after school program as well as a social emotional program to help young children learn how to get along well with their peers and develop emotionally. I liked the G&T teachers and the classes were of a diverse racial and ethnic mix. The kids seemed happy and enthusiastically engaged in learning

Does anyone know if PS9 typically has attrition in the G&T classes, specifically grade 2. My son is waitlisted for grade 2 and wondering if I should hold out any hope of a spot opening up before September. Dreading have 2 kids at 2 different schools as my daughter got in.

Quote Originally Posted by ll_ss View Post
    Sure. We toured P.S. 9 on Tuesday. They divided us up into grades our children are might be in, so there was a packed room in the Kindergarten classroom and the entire "walk through" was a conversation with the Kindergarten G&T teacher. My personal impression is that she seemed fantastic. She talked about how she approaches her day, and the curriculum, and didn't leave me with any doubt that the kids in that classroom are getting individualized attention and excelling even though there is one teacher and 23 kids. That said, we didn't tour the whole school or hear about much else besides Kindergarten. For those concerned about diversity, I did not get the "extremely diverse" impression mentioned above. Instead, it seemed like the vast majority of the kids are white (based on pictures on the walls, and the kids walking into the school at the end of the tour). I welcome thoughts or impressions from others, especially about the upper grades, or about cutoff scores to get into the school. It seems like a popular program. There was a mention of a possibility of opening up a second G&T classroom, I think they said it was unlikely but a possibility, and out of the school's control.

Tomorrow there are simultaneous tours of P.S. 282 and P.S. 56, the other two district choices. Does anyone have impressions of those? This touring process is so cramped!
    Hi! I am the poster above who said that when my son's G&T class was extremely diverse (at the time his class was 1/3 African American, 1/3 white and 1/3 biracial). I just want to clarify that my son started Kindergarten at PS 9 nine years ago -- so I am sure the demographics of the G&T classes and the school as whole have changed significantly since then. Having said that I also want to say that your impression of the Kindergarten G&T teacher is spot on -- she really is fantastic. Our family loves her and we are still in touch.