+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SHSAT Scoring

SHSAT Scoring

FYI,

The SHSAT scoring tables found online are inaccurate.

I went to review my duaghters test and her results were as follows:

English: raw score: 38 scale score: 240
    Math: raw score: 35 scale score: 246

Quote Originally Posted by Faith22 View Post
    FYI,

The SHSAT scoring tables found online are inaccurate.

I went to review my duaghters test and her results were as follows:

English: raw score: 38 scale score: 240
    Math: raw score: 35 scale score: 246
    You are right, I also saw my child's results: ELA-40 questions, score 251, Math-39 questions, score 262.
    I was under the impression that ELA and Math are scored the same way but it doesn't seem to be the case. Math is worth more points than ELA. It doesn't make too much sense since they altered ELA (removed scrambled paragraphs) this year to make it easier!
    If anyone else can post their child's results so we can compare, that would be great!

If a test is easier, raw scores should be higher. Since the scaled scores try to compare populations and percentiles (not sure how successfully), you will need a higher raw score to get the same scaled score from previous years.

I don't think they intended to make the test easier. They just wanted students to be familiar with the topic, i.e. grammar. They probably picked grammar questions which they thought kids would get right in similar percentages in the past as scrambled paragraphs. Maybe those grammar (or reading comprehension) questions happened to be too "easy" this year.

I'm going to view my test next week Thursday. Even though I didn't receive any offers, I still want to see what questions I got wrong. It's weird how the Math section is graded a bit differently from ELA. I'll be sure to post my results when I get them!

Quote Originally Posted by lbg76 View Post
    You are right, I also saw my child's results: ELA-40 questions, score 251, Math-39 questions, score 262.
    I was under the impression that ELA and Math are scored the same way but it doesn't seem to be the case. Math is worth more points than ELA. It doesn't make too much sense since they altered ELA (removed scrambled paragraphs) this year to make it easier!
    If anyone else can post their child's results so we can compare, that would be great!
    The scoring tables were for 50 questions, vs. the 47 now. Also depending on what site you looked at , they seem to imply an 800 was a max score, where in reality I believe its closer to 700. This site has a very good explanation/chart to refer to though the scaling differs year to year (and its secret to the DOE).
    http://testprepshsat.com/shsat-strategy/

Quote Originally Posted by parentnyc1mp View Post
    The scoring tables were for 50 questions, vs. the 47 now. Also depending on what site you looked at , they seem to imply an 800 was a max score, where in reality I believe its closer to 700. This site has a very good explanation/chart to refer to though the scaling differs year to year (and its secret to the DOE).
    http://testprepshsat.com/shsat-strategy/
    Aren't there 10 field questions on each section and they don't affect your final score right?

Quote Originally Posted by hyper View Post
    Aren't there 10 field questions on each section and they don't affect your final score right?
    yes, 57 questions but only 47 are counted per section.

The private school I am attending next year says they are not involved in the SHSAT or any public high schools. I really want to retake the 9th grade SHSAT and don't want what to do. I plan on signing up at a family welcome center but I don't know how to apply to any public high schools like Townsend Harris and Bard High School because they said its not possible at any school. Do you have any suggestions? If so, plz tell me. I have been depressed for like 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by greatness_2018 View Post
    The private school I am attending next year says they are not involved in the SHSAT or any public high schools. I really want to retake the 9th grade SHSAT and don't want what to do. I plan on signing up at a family welcome center but I don't know how to apply to any public high schools like Townsend Harris and Bard High School because they said its not possible at any school. Do you have any suggestions? If so, plz tell me. I have been depressed for like 2 months.
    I don't know how you can apply to regular public schools. I only know you can apply for the SHSAT in a family welcome center. Sorry

Thx I will just call the guidance counselor and see what I can do or contact my current schools guidance counselor. If anyone knows about what is on the 9th grade SHSAT plz tell me. I know there is Algebra 1, Basic Trig Problems, Translation, Transformations;etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast