+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I think it's year by year. Last year the ICT requirement was brand new and it wasn't necessary to get 4's in both math & ELA. This year was likely higher. The cut off will probably continue to rise as more people realize that ICT candidates are sought-after in the middle school admissions process.

Quote Originally Posted by smconde View Post
    My son was just admitted to Anderson as a 6th grader (we got our DOE match on Friday). I called Anderson this morning to follow up and was told they've taken 12 new kids for 6th grade and 9 kids for 7th grade this year. Not sure how many are ICT vs. gen ed. Also, no idea about how many kids were accepted to NEST+m , but it is correct that they don't do their own test anymore. Now they use the report card and the state test scores from 4th grade.
    How does NEST determine who gets in since it doesn't have its own test? I assume there will be more kids that are qualified based on report cards and state test scores? Do they evaluate each applicant's report cards and test scores? Or is it a lottery of the qualified candidates? Would love to get some insights!

2e students

MBNar,
    You seem to be misinformed. More than 1,000 students with disabilities (SWD) in NYC who took the 4th grade state tests last year, got double 4's. They are twice-exceptional students (2e), whose academic strengths often surpass those of GenEd students.
    As you can see, Anderson and NEST+m can very easily pick the brightest of the bright 2e students.

Quote Originally Posted by MBNar View Post
    It depends. For ICT candidates, the cut-offs were lower. It is difficult for Anderson (and NEST) to find kids who have an ICT designation on their IEP, and also come near the academic threshhold. General-ed students are required to know math a year ahead (so sixth grade math for current fifth graders), but I don't believe that's the case for ICT students.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
    MBNar,
    You seem to be misinformed. More than 1,000 students with disabilities (SWD) in NYC who took the 4th grade state tests last year, got double 4's. They are twice-exceptional students (2e), whose academic strengths often surpass those of GenEd students.
    As you can see, Anderson and NEST+m can very easily pick the brightest of the bright 2e students.
    Well, I know for a fact that not all the 2e kids admitted to Anderson last year had double 4's. Not sure how to explain that. Perhaps some parents of high-scoring SWD don't feel they would thrive at Anderson and don't apply.

Since last year was the first year NEST didn't administer its own MS admissions test, anyone has any color on what scores are required to get a spot? Did the kids who got in have all 4s across state tests and report cards? Did they only admit kids with high 4s in state tests? Also, how did they account for attendance (would the child get dinged for being absence for 1-2 days)? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! Hoping someone here can explain how the composite score is formulated for middle school admissions at schools like NEST and Anderson? If a child gets one 3 on their report card what is their score for report card? Also, anyone know how high state test scores had to be at such schools in prior years? Does it matter if you have a 4.4 versus a 4.2?

Quote Originally Posted by queensmama View Post
    Hi! Hoping someone here can explain how the composite score is formulated for middle school admissions at schools like NEST and Anderson? If a child gets one 3 on their report card what is their score for report card? Also, anyone know how high state test scores had to be at such schools in prior years? Does it matter if you have a 4.4 versus a 4.2?
    I have heard from others that you have to have all 4s on your report cards and high 4s in both ELA and Math state tests for NEST as it doesn't have its own admission test anymore.
    Anderson still has its own test but I am not sure about the cutoff

Quote Originally Posted by NYCDTM View Post
    I have heard from others that you have to have all 4s on your report cards and high 4s in both ELA and Math state tests for NEST as it doesn't have its own admission test anymore.
    Anderson still has its own test but I am not sure about the cutoff
    My son got into Anderson with 4.26 ELA & 4.42 Math in the state tests (plus all 4s in core subjects of report card & perfect attendance). I think their admisssion exam may be a big chunk of the final rubric.

Quote Originally Posted by smconde View Post
    My son got into Anderson with 4.26 ELA & 4.42 Math in the state tests (plus all 4s in core subjects of report card & perfect attendance). I think their admisssion exam may be a big chunk of the final rubric.
    smconde, how did your child do on the 5th grade tests? Will you have him take the test for Hunter High School, and if so, how will you have him prepare? I am debating, because my son is really enjoying his new middle school and is just finding his group of friends. And, we just went through the admissions process. Middle school is so short!

Quote Originally Posted by MBNar View Post
    smconde, how did your child do on the 5th grade tests? Will you have him take the test for Hunter High School, and if so, how will you have him prepare? I am debating, because my son is really enjoying his new middle school and is just finding his group of friends. And, we just went through the admissions process. Middle school is so short!
    We're still waiting to see if he made the cut for the Hunter test to start with... he got double 4s in the 5th grade state tests but they're both in the tens this time around, so it's not clear at all he'll be eligible... I guess we should find out sometime this week...!