+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NEST+M and Anderson MS Admissions

Anyone has insights on how many new 6th graders are NEST+M and Anderson taking? And of those, how many are non-ICT vs ICT? I saw on Anderson's website that "they are currently only filling ICT spots for 6th grade" and wasn't sure the info online was posted before or after they send out acceptances. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Also, is it true that NEST+M doesn't do their own entrance exam anymore? How does the selection criteria work then? I'd imagine there would be a lot more qualified kids than spots available?

Thanks!

My son was just admitted to Anderson as a 6th grader (we got our DOE match on Friday). I called Anderson this morning to follow up and was told they've taken 12 new kids for 6th grade and 9 kids for 7th grade this year. Not sure how many are ICT vs. gen ed. Also, no idea about how many kids were accepted to NEST+m , but it is correct that they don't do their own test anymore. Now they use the report card and the state test scores from 4th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by smconde View Post
    My son was just admitted to Anderson as a 6th grader (we got our DOE match on Friday). I called Anderson this morning to follow up and was told they've taken 12 new kids for 6th grade and 9 kids for 7th grade this year. Not sure how many are ICT vs. gen ed. Also, no idea about how many kids were accepted to NEST+m , but it is correct that they don't do their own test anymore. Now they use the report card and the state test scores from 4th grade.
    Congrats! That's quite a decent number of 6th graders getting accepted. That's good to know!

congrats! That is a lot of new kids for 6th grade. how big are the classes in middle school?

are you an ICT parent? i didn't think they had any non ICT spots. either way, that is wonderful news.

Thank you! My kid got in as a gen ed student, so Anderson does have non-ICT spots in 6th grade. Not sure about class size. I think I remember (from the open house??) that class sizes go from around 24-26 in 5th grade to 30-32 in 6th grade. There are two 6th grade classrooms, so that's 6 new students per class.

Thank you! My kid got in as a gen ed student, so Anderson does have non-ICT spots in 6th grade. Not sure about class size. I think I remember (from the open house??) that class sizes go from around 24-26 in 5th grade to 30-32 in 6th grade. There are two 6th grade classrooms, so that's 6 new students per class.
    even more impressive! i heard like 700 kids sat for the test. I was under the impression that the class size was 28 in 5th grade. I know it's 25 in K and then moves up to 28 in 1st grade. Perhaps some families are moving out for middle school (other spots closer to home) or even earlier with attrition.

That makes sense... so I guess class sizes may be as large as 34 kids in the 6th grade. The 700 number seems correct. According to the information from the open house back in the fall, 800 kids were invited to take the Anderson test. I believe invitations went to most (all?) kids who listed Anderson as a middle school choice, and got solid 4s on their 4th grade state tests.

It depends. For ICT candidates, the cut-offs were lower. It is difficult for Anderson (and NEST) to find kids who have an ICT designation on their IEP, and also come near the academic threshhold. General-ed students are required to know math a year ahead (so sixth grade math for current fifth graders), but I don't believe that's the case for ICT students.

Quote Originally Posted by MBNar View Post
    It depends. For ICT candidates, the cut-offs were lower. It is difficult for Anderson (and NEST) to find kids who have an ICT designation on their IEP, and also come near the academic threshhold. General-ed students are required to know math a year ahead (so sixth grade math for current fifth graders), but I don't believe that's the case for ICT students.
    That's good to know about ICT. Do you know what the NEST & Anderson ICT cutoff was this year? I have a 3rd grader who is in ICT in a non-G&T program, and who may apply to NEST and/or Anderson in two years. He's 3 years ahead in math, and about 1 grade ahead in reading, but just at grade level in writing...