+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ps130 g&t

Ps130 g&t

Does anyone have any opinions on PS 130 G&T? Would be interested in any information you have, both positive and negative. I understand they only have one G&T class, but does anyone know how many gen ed classes they have? Thank you.

It's a great program. Very strong academics, not just for G&T, just for the entire school. Many Arts programs for 3rd grade and up.
    I think they have 3 GenEd classes per grade.

Thank you! Do you have any information about how much homework they give, if any at all?

Hi, I am also new to PS130 but I was able to connect with a few families in my neighborhood with kids in G&T K, 3rd, and 4th grade. There is homework even in K, practicing/perfecting letters, numbers, words in the beginning and then sentences and math as the year progresses. According to the 2017-2018 roster, there were 5 gened K classes and 3-4 gened higher grades (almost 1000 kids in total in the school).

Thank you very much. Do you know what the difference is between their one G&T class and the Gened classes? Or is the G&T class treated the same?

It sounds like there is some acceleration especially compared to other gened schools (battery park highly ranked 89/234/150). The parents with kids that went through K said the reading level is at least 2 levels higher by the end of the year. For math the G&T classes would be working on double/triple digits arithmetic ahead of gened single digits, etc. The G&T classes would also bring in "student teachers" from colleges studying education, etc.

I went to the orientation for PS 130 this year and the principal said that the curriculum is the same, but that there is more "enrichment" for G&T classes. He said G&T goes through the curriculum at a faster pace and uses the extra time to go deeper with the lessons than a GenEd class would. The G&T kindergarten teacher said that if a child finishes an assignment more quickly than others, that additional materials would be given to that child.

Quote Originally Posted by dandy View Post
    I went to the orientation for PS 130 this year and the principal said that the curriculum is the same, but that there is more "enrichment" for G&T classes. He said G&T goes through the curriculum at a faster pace and uses the extra time to go deeper with the lessons than a GenEd class would. The G&T kindergarten teacher said that if a child finishes an assignment more quickly than others, that additional materials would be given to that child.
    This is accurate. I think most (or all?) district G&T programs follow an "enriched" curriculum as opposed to "accelerated" so the kids go deeper into a topic. That said, the teachers at PS130 definitely challenge the kids if they are ahead. With reading, the G&T kids at PS130 are typically reading one grade level+ ahead (e.g. at the end of K, most kids are at level H/I/J which is supposed to be the end of 1st grade). With Math, the school uses Singapore Math (same curriculum as NEST) and i think it uses Teachers' College literacy program for writing.

Does anyone have any information on where the PS 130 G&T class usually goes to middle school? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by nyc.mom View Post
    Does anyone have any information on where the PS 130 G&T class usually goes to middle school? Thank you!
    Lab MS and SALK are the two most go to