+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Hunter 2019 Admissions

    Hey. I just called Hunter Admissions and asked if parents get a report of their child’s Round 1 Stanford-Binet results. The answer is no. Does anyone know why? Seems ridiculous. I feel like parents should at least get some report of their child’s results (especially since we also have to pay $350 to take the test)

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by SpittyMcGee View Post
    Hey. I just called Hunter Admissions and asked if parents get a report of their child’s Round 1 Stanford-Binet results. The answer is no. Does anyone know why? Seems ridiculous. I feel like parents should at least get some report of their child’s results (especially since we also have to pay $350 to take the test)

    Yeah, and don't hold your breath. Because it just got worse last year after they stopped reporting your child's Stanford-Binet score even!


    Our child qualified for Round 2 based on his SB test score but they would only say that he scored high enough and didn't even report the actual score (whereas in years past they would at least tell you the cutoff score and what your child had scored).


    Pretty much of a ripoff for $350 IQ-test.

  3. #3
    We did it last year and at the time I was notified we made it to Round 2 I asked if we could get the score. I was told no because it is a MODIFIED Stanford Binet Test. The whole process is nerve wracking because everything seems so secretive. The best advice I can give is to follow all of the instructions exactly as written and hope for the best. Good luck!
    Last edited by jglenn_4; 09-06-2018 at 06:36 PM.

  4. #4

    Wink

    Thanks so much. I was hoping at least for the SB score as a silver lining. But I guess I’ll just throw $350 into the fire

  5. #5
    Yup. Treat it like playing the lottery or gambling. If it pays off, it will be worth every penny!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jglenn_4 View Post
    I was told no because it is a MODIFIED Stanford Binet Test.

    But my understanding is that their test has always been a "modified" version of the SB test. At least for the past 5 years. And they've given the cutoff scores for the last several years.

  7. #7
    Yes. That is true. I believe I heard/someone told me(I can't remember at this point) they were getting too many questions/having multiple issues with parents questioning the scoring because they did not understand it was a modified test.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTheadache View Post
    But my understanding is that their test has always been a "modified" version of the SB test. At least for the past 5 years. And they've given the cutoff scores for the last several years.

  8. #8
    Not only is the test a "modified" version, but the test is also curved against the range of all Hunter test takers. Therefore, your child's score sounds like it is relative (similar to G&T), and not an absolute score. This makes sense if they're trying to control how many children move into Round 2.


    The G&T test is also a relative/curved/normalized score, yet we get to see the raw results. However, G&T also has a range of possible outcomes (90%/97% qualifiers, 99% lottery band, etc.), whereas Hunter only has one outcome: pass onto round 2, or do not pass. I can see why they switched to a pass/fail outcome, even if I don't agree with it.

  9. #9

    Round 2 Hunter

    Hi. For any parent who has done this before - does Hunter only notify the kids who move onto round 2? Or do they get back to everyone with a yes or no?

    Thanks!

  10. #10
    I believe everyone gets a letter. I seem to recall someone posting (on another site) a copy of last year's letter stating their kid did not make it to Round 2.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts