+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hyper View Post
    Hey! I'm taking the 9th grade SHSAT tmrw and I'm not nervous at all. But just in case, can you give me a rundown on the 9th grade test? I just want to make sure I know my stuff. And Brooklyn Tech is my dream school, but the size might overwhelm me a bit haha.
    The 9th grade SHSAT is the 8th grade SHSAT with additional stuff. There is some overlap (as happens in the NY State tests). In the ELA the additional stuff is just tougher passages and grammar and revisions/editing.

In the Math part, it's the standard 7th grade rooted math: time, mean, rates, proportions and ratios, slope, linear equations, rational numbers, perimeter, area, volume, circumference, "percent" problems including discounts/taxes/etc, fractions, decimals (including repeating), geometrically similar object and their scaling, number line including scaling and negative units, absolute value, adding and subtracting involving negative and positives, algebra involving one variable of various sorts, rules and truisms involving intersecting lines, circles/triangles/quadrilaterals/polygons/cubes/right prisms, angles and their sums/interior/exterior/within polygons, parallel lines, population inferences, word problems, multi-step solutions, chance and probability including factorials, from lists and data sets, unit conversions, parallelogram, trapezoid, octagon, rectangle, square, order of operations, numeric patterns, prime number, prime factorization, mixed fractions, fraction ordering, conversion to/from decimals/fractions

Plus additional 8th grade rooted additions: graphing/slope/intercept/distance, number line, FOIL, solving linear equations, inequalities, shaded regions, using functions including comparing/rate of change/interpreting/input/output, geometric similarity and congruence, Pythagorean Theorem, right triangles, translations/rotations/reflections/dilations, more slope/coordinates/grids/distances, more cones/cylinders/spheres/volume, radical numbers, exponents, square and cube roots, scientific and decimal notations and conversions thereof, outliers

I'm sure I've missed a few things. If this is not your question, feel free to ask again/elaborate.

All school application deadlines are now past. Wishing everybody best of luck and skill in an exciting time of your child's life!

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Guess what? The school year is already about half over!

The upcoming NYS ELA test is early April and the NYS Math test is early May. Now is a great time to start to think about these tests, especially considering that the mid-winter break and the spring break need to be considered too. It'll be here before you know it.

Plus, what happens in the classroom is often not what is happening on these tests.

Are you prepping in a way to most maximize your child's opportunity with these tests? Are you prepping at all?

Now is a great time in the school year to synchronize subject matter with timelines and ensure your child is keeping pace even on subjects that will not have a state test. Make a plan, Stan.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, ISEE, SSAT, ERB, ...)

Remember that even though April 2-3 for the ELA State Test and May 1-2 for the Math State Test might seem far away, at this point, they're really around the corner.

They'll be Mid-Winter Recess from Mon Feb 18-Fri Feb 22, and Spring Recess from Fri April 19-Fri April 26 thrown into the mix as well which can throw parents off regarding the timelines ("Whoops, it's here already!!?!") and kids too, with the in school/out of school flow being disruptive in part.

A few report cards have been provided at this stage and it's a good time to work on your child's strengths and weaknesses both regarding the state tests and otherwise. It's also a good time to reflect which grade your student is in and how to move forward for the next few years.

I am looking for old copies of the SHSAT, the NYC Specialized High Schools Admissions Test, and/or the SHSAT Handbook, from before the 2010-2011 one, and/or any of related such documents. Beat up copies ok. Incomplete copies ok. Written on copies ok. Message me.
    Last edited by GregsTutoringNYC; 02-22-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Did you know that 10th graders in public schools can take the PSAT FOR FREE ON Wed March 27? All 11th graders will be able to take the SAT for free on that date too.

All they have to do is show up for school that day. They are being offered this by the DOE on a regular school day.

These are not practice tests. They’re real SATs and PSATs that will count if you want them to. You can access your scores by setting up a College Board Account. I would suggest doing that now at collegeboard.org

Also, consider prepping for these tests. Don’t just show up and waste an opportunity. Get familiar with them, do some examples, and consider hiring a tutor.

Any questions don’t hesitate to ask!
    Last edited by GregsTutoringNYC; 03-20-2019 at 06:11 PM.

I got accepted at Btech but I really wanna go to Stuy. Can I retake SHSAT next year? Will I lose my seat at Btech if I can't get in to Stuy?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jennylau View Post
    I got accepted at Btech but I really wanna go to Stuy. Can I retake SHSAT next year? Will I lose my seat at Btech if I can't get in to Stuy?
    Thanks
    Yes, you can retake the test again for entry into Grade 10. And no, retaking the test will not cause you to loose any existing seat. You may also find you like where you are in the interim.

How can I find out the breakdown of my SHSAT score that was released yesterday? That is how can find out my raw scores in Math and ELA?

Currently I think the only way to get that is to request a review of your test which means going there in person.