+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Lightbulb I am an experienced tutor, please feel free to ask me anything about the SHSAT!!

I've been tutoring for various HS tests for years, including the SHSAT, and am myself a graduate of Brooklyn Tech, as is my daughter.

The NYC high schools admission's process is complicated and changed once again this year. Working with many different families and fielding their questions gives me a unique perspective and experience.

So please feel free to post your questions or concerns about the NYC Specialized High School Admissions Test, also known as the SHSAT, and I will be glad to help you.

My shsat exam is tomorrow
    what should i do?!?!??!?!??!

is the shsat curved? i got 530 on a practice test and im scared that in the real thing its around a 450 because majority of the people taking the test are smart and always get good grades

Quote Originally Posted by IDK_NAM View Post
    Ah yes the day before the SHSAT. Hard to believe its been one yr since I took the SHSAT and got accepted to Brooklyn Tech.

First thing I did was unwind on Saturday Night (my test was Sunday afternoon)

-Binge watched some movies
    -Played some video Games
    - Tried to forget that the SHSAT Exam is in a couple of hours.
    -Went to sleep early. But not too early to the point where you're wide awake. Believe me, the more you think about the SHSAT, the much more never-wrecking it would be.

Sunday Morning (The morning of the Exam)
    -Prayed (if you're religious, I suggest praying because you feel much better. And if you're not religious...then still wake up with a positive attitude. Don't wake up thinking "oh well can't wait to fail today" etc

-BREAKFAST. Even if your exams in the morning, eat something. Maybe a bagel or just a banana. Don't go in there hungry. How do you expect to answer 57 *tedious* math problems on a empty stomach. Another think, don't try new things. What I mean is, if you wake up and always eat a banana and a bagel, stick with that. Don't try something you have never tired before like idk a apple and eggs. NOW ITS NOT THE TIME TO EXPERIMENT WITH FOODS.

- During the train ride, don't be freaked out by the other kids who's also the SHSAT. Remember 30k takes the exam, I bet you that half of them didn't even study.

-DON'T BE NERVOUS. I WAS AND I REGRET IT . I mean I did get into the school I wanted but I felt i would of scored much higher if I didn't walk in with my legs shaking and with the mind set that I was gonna fail. Its just an exam.
    R E L A X

GOOD LUCK BRO

(btw guys my dad and I got lost trying to find Bktech on the day of the exam. PLEASE LOOK AT GOOGLE MAPS AND I HOPE YALL HAD A CHANCE TO VISIT YOUR TESTING SITE ATLEAST ONCE)

Quote Originally Posted by IDK_NAM View Post
    Hopefully you had a good dinner and go to sleep on time. Follow normal pattern making adjustment if necessary for possible change in wake up time depending upon your test time. Make sure you get a good sleep and have a good breakfast.

Make sure you have necessary supplies: #2 pencils, SIGNED ticket, your list of SHSAT school in priority order, an eraser, a bottle of water and some protein bars. Dress appropriately and perhaps in layers so you're not too hot or too cold. Have two plans to arrive at your testing location, and if using MTA make sure you have enough money on your MetroCards (can't use student one AFAIK). Bring your own analog or digital watch (but not a smart watch).

Remember to read all directions, all questions, make sense of all operative words (best, precise, etc) and do ALL PARTS of questions, you don't have to solve everything in your head as many points are lost on silly errors or carelessness. Keep pacing yourself and follow the strategy that your worked out hinging on your strengths that your were able to detect while practicing. Know when to skip a question.

Remember to BREATHE! And enjoy this experience!

Quote Originally Posted by HEHEHEHHEHE View Post
    (btw guys my dad and I got lost trying to find Bktech on the day of the exam. PLEASE LOOK AT GOOGLE MAPS AND I HOPE YALL HAD A CHANCE TO VISIT YOUR TESTING SITE ATLEAST ONCE)
    Me too. My mom went with my until the Atlantic Ave subway stop and told me to meet have back there when the test was over. I ended up who knows where. When I finally found Tech all the doors were locked. Walked back and forth for a long time. Finally somebody came out and said sorry you're done go home. It was too late. Another teacher came out and said don't send him away and he literally walked me straight into the auditorium, handed me a clipboard with the test and said have a seat. It was already like 1/2 hour into it. This was years ago before anybody ever prepped for it. I'd never seen anything like this thing before. I was mind blown. I was certain I did poorly. Long story short I got into Tech, loved it, and the rest is history
    Last edited by GregsTutoringNYC; 10-20-2018 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasminejas View Post
    is the shsat curved? i got 530 on a practice test and im scared that in the real thing its around a 450 because majority of the people taking the test are smart and always get good grades
    Yes, the SHSAT is curved. A curve is applied to the Math part and another curve is applied to the ELA part, and those to totals are added together to establish a composite score. I'm not sure how you determined that you got a 530 but if you did then that's probably your score (if you know it's 530 then it's already been curved). That will get you into some of the specialized schools but not all of them. Of course the cutoff scores change from year to year.

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    Me too. My mom went with my until the Atlantic Ave subway stop and told me to meet have back there when the test was over. I ended up whole knows where. When I finally found Tech all the doors were locked. Walked back and forth for a long time. Finally somebody came out and said sorry you're done go home. It was too late. Another teacher came out and said don't send him away and he literally walked me straight into the auditorium, handed me a clipboard with the test and said have a seat. It was already like 1/2 hour into it. This was years ago before anybody ever prepped for it. I'd never seen anything like this thing before. I was mind blown. I was certain I did poorly. Long story short I got into Tech, love it, and the rest is history
    Wow thats actually crazy. If that teacher didn't walk out and stop you from leaving, who knows what would have happened. Which is why I really want kids to visit their test sites like 2 days in advance. I mean there is a reason as to why they hand out the ticket a week before the exam.

My Dad and I got lost after we came out of the station. We didn't really know how to get to Tech from there (which is kinda funny now, cuz an year later, I'm like an expert on all the different routes you can take to get to school once you leave the station.) We asked people and they gave us a bunch of weird directions. One person literally took us to the other-opposite side of the school. It was nerve wreaking, imagine preparing for this one exam for over a year and not being able to take it because you got 'lost' on your way to the location. Thankfully, we asked this women and she knew her stuff and took us their ASAP. We left the house like a hour earlier then the testing time and thankfully we were not late. If anything we came on the perfect time because they took us in to our testing room and I didn't have to wait in line.

But still the moral of the story is: CHECK OUT YOUR TESTING LOCATION AND PLAN TO GET THEIR A HOUR (maybe 30 mins) BEFORE THE TEST BEGINS. I mean you never know how the NYC subway works anyway. MTA always full of surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by HEHEHEHHEHE View Post
    But still the moral of the story is: CHECK OUT YOUR TESTING LOCATION AND PLAN TO GET THEIR A HOUR (maybe 30 mins) BEFORE THE TEST BEGINS. I mean you never know how the NYC subway works anyway. MTA always full of surprises.
    Indeed. Even if going by car. I just did a bunch of YouTube videos this week (SHSAY you practiced, now what?" and I suggest the trial run on the sae day of the week if possible too. And if you're going in the morning leave at least half an hour buffer time. And if your test date is in the afternoon leave an hour because you might still have the morning families outside, taking up parking spaces, etc. Expect delays. And if there is none you'll have a few minutes to relax. And if you're going in the afternoon have a good breakfast and good lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    I've been tutoring for various HS tests for years, including the SHSAT, and am myself a graduate of Brooklyn Tech, as is my daughter.

The NYC high schools admission's process is complicated and changed once again this year. Working with many different families and fielding their questions gives me a unique perspective and experience.

So please feel free to post your questions or concerns about the NYC Specialized High School Admissions Test, also known as the SHSAT, and I will be glad to help you.
    Hey! I'm taking the 9th grade SHSAT tmrw and I'm not nervous at all. But just in case, can you give me a rundown on the 9th grade test? I just want to make sure I know my stuff. And Brooklyn Tech is my dream school, but the size might overwhelm me a bit haha.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast