+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    The NY Math State Test is upcoming on May 1 and May 2!

Now is a the time to include test prep and review in your plans!

Some point to consider:
    * It'll be here before you know it.
    * The Spring Break (April 19-28) need to be considered too.
    * Grade 4 exams are used for entry into middle school
    * Grade 7 exams are used for entry into high school
    * With changes to admissions, it may be state tests through many other grades and years will start to be used as well
    * What happens in the classroom is often not what is happening on these tests.

Are you prepping in a way to most maximize your child's opportunity with these tests? Are you prepping at all?

Now is a great time in the school year to synchronize subject matter with timelines and ensure your child is keeping pace even on subjects that will not have a state test. Make a plan, Stan.
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

TIPS || Prepping for a Standardized Test

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6HBCvMMWO8

Attachment: HowToPrep.pdf
    Passionate tutor of Elementary School subjects specializing in NY state tests, and the specialized high/middle school tests (SHSAT, Hunter, TACHS/CHSEE, BCA, MS 54, Anderson...)

For those curious, the Discovery Program at Brooklyn Tech 2018 summer included the following math topics:

Order of Operations, Rules of Exponents, Evaluating algebraic expressions, Operations with monomials and polynomials, Factoring, Operations on polynomial rational expressions, Simplifying complex fractions, Solving 1st degree equations, Solving literal equations, Evaluating radical expressions, Sets of numbers, Properties of radicals, Zero and negative exponents, Scientific notation, Evaluating expression with fractional exponents, Solving equations with fractional exponents, Solving exponential equations, Solving quadratic equations, Sum and product of roots, Solving fractional equations, Solving radical equations, Solving linear inequalities, Solving absolute value equations, solving absolute value inequalities, solving quadratic inequalities, variation, solving systems of equations.

There was a quiz, a few tests, and a final. The exams counted 70%, homework 15%, 10% quiz, 5% participation.

You were expected to be absent no more than 2 times, also noting that two latenesses was equated to one absence.

School ain't over yet!!

I am often disheartened around this point in the school year. This is so because with the ELA and Math NY State Tests over with, many families kind of go into a "we're done mode." But then in some cases, "surprises" happen towards the end of May. They then contact me for tutoring in an emergency situation.

First of all, many state tests are still occurring. Regents don't happen until mid June+. And even some state tests in the lower grades still occur, for instance, Science for some grades. Even if not, many classes may have a final.

Remember, **TWENTY PERCENT** of the school year is still to come! That's a plethora of learning still to come!

BE HEARD!

SHSAT Community Meeting
    with NY Senator John Lie and Robert Jackson
    Thu, May 23, 2019 6:00 PM 8:00 PM
    Public School 173M
    306 Fort Washington Avenue
    New York, NY 10032
    If you would like to speak, please sign up at the door. Bring hard copies of your 2-minute statement or email the statement to: shsat@senatorjackson.com

SHSAT Community Meeting
    Friday, May 31, 6:30pm - 8:30pm
    Michael J. Petridis School
    715 Ocean Terrace
    Staten Island, NY

SHSAT Community Meeting
    with NY Senator Andrew Gournades
    Friday, June 7, 6:30pm - 8:30pm
    IS 201
    8010 12th Ave,
    Brooklyn, NY 11228
    Southern Brooklyn residents are given priority to speak based on ZIP code. Please click here to RSVP and speak at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...atrLA/viewform

FYI, the online SHSAT 2019-2020 Handbook was replaced with another version recently. From what I can tell the only difference is some slight formatting modifications. No other changes I could see from visual inspection.

Anybody with SHSAT handbook questions, registrations questions, etc. feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by GregsTutoringNYC View Post
    FYI, the online SHSAT 2019-2020 Handbook was replaced with another version recently. From what I can tell the only difference is some slight formatting modifications. No other changes I could see from visual inspection.

Anybody with SHSAT handbook questions, registrations questions, etc. feel free to ask.

Hello.. I'm an 8th grader who is going to take the test. Do you have any tips for scoring high on the reading comprehension section. I'm having a bit of trouble only on that that part.

For an overview of the SHSAT ELA section, check out a video I did here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSeO_j0mxFo

FYI, I did a math one here too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krbb1pyw9Y

I am currently doing a YouTube series going over the 2017-18 SHSAT, it starts here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbLfwkbEYyU

My channel is Gregs Tutoring ala:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQE...rYueiTg/videos

Many of the livestreams cover ELA. I would suggest watching them, even those those don't apply to the SHSAT directly or those dealing with material from earlier years. It'll all still apply as I mention a ton of insights, etc. in passing, and as well, I cover topics such as poetry.

Ditto for the math livestreams I have available. And don't discount going over some of the Grade 9 math examples. As well, don't discount "I'm having a bit of trouble only on that part."

I mention this last aspect as first of all there is nothing such as test day. Doing practice tests at home are different for a number of reasons. The second thing is that because of the way the SHSAT is scored, you want points coming from your best subject, because, if you're doing that well, answering those questions correctly will be worth more points per question. Real important test taking strategy.

FYI, families are beginning to receive letters wrt the upcoming October SHSAT. Be on the lookout for that. I understand some are US Mailing it while others are giving it directly to kids while other are meeting with kids. Just be aware it's out there and if you still haven't seen it in about two weeks, it's probably time to become proactive on getting registered if it's something you're interested in.

Also, last year was the first year that you were able to register for a SHS via myschools.nyc. Sometimes your guidance counselor or a welcome center did this for you. I strongly suggest if at all possible to do it yourself, as, in many cases of the two former situations, things were not done as thought, and as getting a receipt for your registration of a SHS has been eternally a problem, it's something you want to be intimately familiar with and understand. Even if a welcome center or counselor does it for you make sure you are with them AND watching the computer at the same time. And when you get access to a computer or tablet or even smart phone try to ensure what you thought occurred did.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5