+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question SHSAT on Oct 20th & 21st - Easy or Hard? (A Simple Survey)

I am starting this thread hoping to get more responses.

When my son told me that the test was much easier than his prior mock tests, I was surprised. Later, we heard some students who walked out from the test site saying that the test was “so easy”. My son’s classmate also said it was easy. They all took the Saturday morning test.

Later, I found that there were 4 different tests given, each with different level of difficulty. This info was from one of this forum’s members.

If you took the test, would you share the date and whether it was in the morning or afternoon when the test was taken and if it was easier or more difficult relative to your prior practice exams.

This way we can find out if the same test were given to all students under the same section or if the 4 tests were randomly given to any students in any sections.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I am starting this thread hoping to get more responses.

When my son told me that the test was much easier than his prior mock tests, I was surprised. Later, we heard some students who walked out from the test site saying that the test was “so easy”. My son’s classmate also said it was easy. They all took the Saturday morning test.

Later, I found that there were 4 different tests given, each with different level of difficulty. This info was from one of this forum’s members.

If you took the test, would you share the date and whether it was in the morning or afternoon when the test was taken and if it was easier or more difficult relative to your prior practice exams.

This way we can find out if the same test were given to all students under the same section or if the 4 tests were randomly given to any students in any sections.

Thank you.
    I didn't take the SHSAT this yr. I'm already a freshmen at bktech. I just wanna put it out there just because students thought "test was easy" doesn't mean the test itself was easy. I remember it like yesterday when I took the SHSAT and all my friends were like "IT WAS LIGHT WORK" "FUTURE STUYVESANT CLASS 2022" etc. None of them got in. Remember to keep in mind that 30k people take the SHSAT, I'm sure that about 20k of them didn't even take any practice tests or do any form of studying.

My daughter, an 8th grader, took the SHSAT on Sunday and thought the math was more difficult than her mock tests. Her friends who took it on Saturday didn't think the math was so difficult. With this said, who knows. Only time will tell. However, I was wondering if there is a different scale for Saturday test versus the Sunday test.

There are too many factors to actually gage which tests were harder. How much a student prepared, the time of day they took it, their level of academic ability, etc. all contribute to a students perception of the test. My son took the test on 10/20 and said the test was fair. That being said, I had watched a video that demonstrated that they scale up (add points to) the difficult test and scale down (decrease points) the easier tests in attempt to even them out. Of course, any information on how they determine the scores is speculation. 5 months is way too long to wait for these results.

Thank you for your info. That was why I highlighted th word “relative” to their prior exercise tests. Hard or easy is subjective, but one can compare his or her current performance vs. the historic performance.

Congrats on your acceptance into Brooklyn Tech by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC77 View Post
    My daughter, an 8th grader, took the SHSAT on Sunday and thought the math was more difficult than her mock tests. Her friends who took it on Saturday didn't think the math was so difficult. With this said, who knows. Only time will tell. However, I was wondering if there is a different scale for Saturday test versus the Sunday test.
    Many students found that the Saturday tests were relatively easier and the Sunday tests were relatively harder. I’m sure the curve will be used just like many of the college tests. I mentioned this in another thread and I will mention it in here again - curve will be used within each of the test groups. Students with top scores will be receiving offer from their top choice schools.

My daughter took the SHSAT on Sunday morning and said it was much harder than the practice tests she had taken in her prep class. She was really feeling like she'd bombed it. A friend's kid took it on Sat and said it was easier than expected, which definitely got me worried. Thanks for starting this thread - glad to know my daughter is in good company.

My daughter came out from the test crying. She felt she bombed it too after much preparation. She also saw one of her classmates with a tear on his cheek. Ugh...I don’t like how stressful this is. The results will be interesting to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I’m sure the curve will be used just like many of the college tests. I mentioned this in another thread and I will mention it in here again - curve will be used within each of the test groups. Students with top scores will be receiving offer from their top choice schools.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC77 View Post
    My daughter came out from the test crying. She felt she bombed it too after much preparation. She also saw one of her classmates with a tear on his cheek. Ugh...I don’t like how stressful this is. The results will be interesting to say the least.
    It's a high end test for high end schools, so it being challenging is fair.

Whether a particular form or combination of test is hard or easy (whatever either of those truly mean if anything) in the end it will be metabolized so the kid saying it was a piece of cake (which may or may not be true) is not necessarily in any better position than a kid who doesn't *feel* that way about the test.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast